S
snv455925
Guest
I have been married for about 5 months now to a great catholic woman. My problem (which I will try to sum up the best I can) is I have constant thoughts on becoming a priest. My story goes like this. When I was around 18, I think I may have felt a call towards the priesthood. It was during a rough time in my life, however after a while it left me. This experience happened a few more times as the years went by sometimes, but I always shrugged it off because I felt like the call wasn’t genuine nor did I ever seek any spiritual direction so I never really knew. About 2 years ago I felt the “call” again, and this time I took more interest into it. I prayed and prayed about it, but for whatever reason I never saw myself taking that step towards it so I decided maybe it wasn’t for me. It was also during that time I met my future wife. We immediately clicked and I enjoyed everything about her as well as she was everything I hoped and prayed for in a woman (good catholic, fun, understanding,etc). The thoughts on the priesthood left me, and I felt like this is what God wanted me to do. So after 7 months of dating we got engaged, then 10 months later we married. However about 2 months before the wedding I felt the “call” again and it scared me immensely. It gave me panic attacks and extreme anxiety because why was this happening to me so close to the wedding? It went away for a while then about 3 weeks before the wedding it hit me again, and once again I was in an extreme sense of panic. I decided to get married, and ever since then these thoughts never leave me. My mind is always racing around the thoughts of priesthood, and I can do nothing about it. I know marriage is a serious commitment, and I understood that going in. My question is why can’t I have peace in my mind if God gives us free will? These thoughts are very terrifying because I don’t know what to do, or who to turn to. I pray the rosary every day now, go to daily mass when I have the chance, but nothing seems to help or give me peace.