Recieving 3 times

  • Thread starter Thread starter SHAKA_MAKA1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SHAKA_MAKA1

Guest
In our parish we have a really hard time finding altar servers at any of our Masses. Thus I serve sometimes at all three of our Sunday Masses. Should I not recieve the Eucharist at all three Masses since we are only allowed to recieve twice in one day? Should I just serve at two Masses as to not to cause scandal at the third, (Hey I wonder why the altar sever didn’t recieve?). Any advice? Thanks.
 
I would altar serve at the 3 Masses, but I just wouldn’t receive at one of them. If someone asks why you aren’t receiving the third time, they will most likely apporoach the priest or sacristan, and you can just tell them that since you served at 2 other Mass, you receieved twice, thus you cannot receive a third time, which would, ergo, violate Canon law.

The Code of Canon Law (No. 917) stipulates, “A person who has received the Most Holy Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only during the celebration of the Eucharist in which the person participates, with due regard for the prescription of Canon 921, 2.” Following this lead, Canon 921, 2 stipulates, “Even if they have received Communion in the same day, those who are in danger of death are strongly urged to receive again.” Succinctly, a person may receive Holy Communion twice a day.
 
Also it’s not a scandal to not receive the Eucharist. My RCIA teacher lived in South America where often a third or half of the congregation wouldn’t receive because they were so aware of their sins, that one of them might have been mortal even from confession just the day before.

In my opinion, this is far better than the US’s current ‘almost everyone at Mass’ because you know that some of them are taking it and don’t even care or think about if they’ve committed a mortal sin 😦
 
When I serve Mass more than once a day (which happens on occasion, if someone else doesn’t show up), I receive at one Mass only and not at the other two. You aren’t obligated to receive at any Mass, anyway.
 
You can certainly serve Mass without receiving. Simply tell the priest at the 2nd or 3rd Mass that you have already received. Usually it is pretty easy for the altar servers to avoid receiving if they have already done so that day.

You should also pray for more servers in your parish. Invite your friends to consider it We have around 100 altar boys at my parish, with 3 Masses a day during the week and 6 on Sunday, that means the boys serve a minimum of 2x a month.
 
Should I just serve at two Masses as to not to cause scandal at the third, (Hey I wonder why the altar sever didn’t recieve?).
What makes you think that other people: A) notice whether or not you receive communion, or B) care?
 
. . .If someone asks why you aren’t receiving the third time, they will most likely apporoach the priest or sacristan, and you can just tell them that since you served at 2 other Mass, you receieved twice, thus you cannot receive a third time, which would, ergo, violate Canon law. . . …
Or you can respond like the old Maine farmer, who was greeted by his neighbor: "
Good morning Mr xxx, and how are you today." To which he responded; " None of your ----- ----- business, and if you weren’t my friend I wouldn’t tell you that much." 😃
 
In our parish we have a really hard time finding altar servers at any of our Masses. Thus I serve sometimes at all three of our Sunday Masses. Should I not recieve the Eucharist at all three Masses since we are only allowed to recieve twice in one day? Should I just serve at two Masses as to not to cause scandal at the third, (Hey I wonder why the altar sever didn’t recieve?). Any advice? Thanks.
In my parish in a situation like your own you could receive 3 or more times in one day per the chancery. Note that Canon Law does not specifically limit communion to twice in one day, even for patients who are not facing death:
*
"…may receive it again on the same day *(notice that no limit is given, only the method in how it is received) only during the celebration of the Eucharist in which the person participates…"

Individuals need to be careful not to read things into canon law which do not exist.
 
I’m sorry I must be missing something. I don’t read it that way.
 
In my parish in a situation like your own you could receive 3 or more times in one day per the chancery. Note that Canon Law does not specifically limit communion to twice in one day, even for patients who are not facing death:
*
"…may receive it again on the same day* (notice that no limit is given, only the method in how it is received) only during the celebration of the Eucharist in which the person participates…"

Individuals need to be careful not to read things into canon law which do not exist.
That is the original translation of the Canon from the Latin. Because the language was ambiguous, this was queried and clarified shortly after the present Code of Canon Law was published. Canon 917 was re-translated to reflect the clarification. From the Code of Canon Law on the Vatican website:
Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2.
Note that twice in one day is a major change since, prior to this Code, we could only receive once a day except as Viaticum and in specific situations such as Holy Thursday if one attended both the Chrism Mass and the Mass of the Lord’s Supper.
 
If you are worried about your priest forgetting that you told him you had already received twice just subtly put your finger over your lips (as if to say "be quiet’) and he should simply just skip you.

BTW, I think when the OP said, “to avoid scandal” it was simply because in the US receiving communion all the time is too commonplace. Although there are three reasons why someone cannot receive communion: state of mortal sin, did not fast for one hour, has already received communion twice, this is just unfortunately not thought about in many parishes. I would say to go ahead and serve (if you are absolutely needed) and not receive, and if any one asks simply explain to them why you could not receive. Sure, people will try to create “scandal” thinking that you are in a state of moral sin but this is not true so you shouldn’t worry about it.

On the other hand, if an altar server is in a state or mortal sin and is needed to serve I would strongly suggest showing up to Mass early enough to ask the priest to hear your confession or finding another person to fill your duties. I think that serving at the altar while in a state of mortal sin should be avoided. After all, your duties are sacred.
 
In my parish in a situation like your own you could receive 3 or more times in one day per the chancery. Note that Canon Law does not specifically limit communion to twice in one day, even for patients who are not facing death:

"…may receive it again on the same day (notice that no limit is given, only the method in how it is received) only during the celebration of the Eucharist in which the person participates…"

Individuals need to be careful not to read things into canon law which do not exist.
I do not believe you are correct. Only a priest is allowed to receive more than the 2 plus viaticum if necessary in the same liturgical day.
 
I do not believe you are correct. Only a priest is allowed to receive more than the 2 plus viaticum if necessary in the same liturgical day.
Because of the language of that canon when the new CCL was published a Dubium was submitted and the response, in July 1984, clarified that ‘a second time’ was meant and the canon was re-written to reflect that.
 
I do not believe you are correct. Only a priest is allowed to receive more than the 2 plus viaticum if necessary in the same liturgical day.
Based on how that article was offered earlier in this thread there was absolutely no prohibition from receiving more than twice.
 
That’s happened to me before. Serving at three Masses is tough!

Sure, you can take Communion at every Mass. There’s no reason why you would not be permitted to take the body of Christ more than once in a day.

Hope you find more servers… nobody wants to serve three Masses! Good luck. 🙂
 
That’s happened to me before. Serving at three Masses is tough!

Sure, you can take Communion at every Mass. There’s no reason why you would not be permitted to take the body of Christ more than once in a day.

Hope you find more servers… nobody wants to serve three Masses! Good luck. 🙂
The Church tells us that we may receive only twice in one day, as long as the second time is at a Mass at which we’ve participated – obviously being an altar server would qualify.

We may only receive a third time as Viaticum if we’re in danger of dying. If you’re able to serve Mass I don’t think you qualify for this one.
 
Because of the language of that canon when the new CCL was published a Dubium was submitted and the response, in July 1984, clarified that ‘a second time’ was meant and the canon was re-written to reflect that.
This is correct.
A diocesan bishop may dispense from the law, nevertheless. In fact, I requested and received such a dispensation to do this, in situations in which I would need to assist at three Masses on the same day.
Otherwise, a third reception would be illicit (the second always needing to be at Mass) unless as Viaticum in danger of death or to avoid profanation of the Blessed Sacrament.
See the authentic interpretation of can. 917 (cf.* AAS*,LXXVI, 1984, 746-747) at vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/intrptxt/documents/rc_pc_intrptxt_doc_20020604_interpretationes-authenticae_lt.html
 
The Church tells us that we may receive only twice in one day, as long as the second time is at a Mass at which we’ve participated – obviously being an altar server would qualify.

To clarify for those who may not be aware, participation doesn’t just mean those who serve at the altar. The congregation also participate by their presence, silent/audible prayers, and singing.
 
This is correct.
A diocesan bishop may dispense from the law, nevertheless. In fact, I requested and received such a dispensation to do this, in situations in which I would need to assist at three Masses on the same day.
Otherwise, a third reception would be illicit (the second always needing to be at Mass) unless as Viaticum in danger of death or to avoid profanation of the Blessed Sacrament.
See the authentic interpretation of can. 917 (cf.* AAS*,LXXVI, 1984, 746-747) at vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/intrptxt/documents/rc_pc_intrptxt_doc_20020604_interpretationes-authenticae_lt.html
Quite true in this case. I would suggest though that many people are not aware of this fact.
 
So what would happen if someone DID receive 3 times at 3 different masses…? What would happen if someone attended 3 masses in a row?

Would lightning strike or something? Doomed to hell for receiving Jesus too much?🤷

“Sorry, can’t go to heaven…you desired Jesus TOO much, and you spent TOO Much time at mass, so sorry!”

Silliness at its finest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top