We have to make a 600-mile trip (by car) to take my MIL for follow-up appointments with a cancer specialist. We usually take the kids (my son and his cousins, ages 8 to 14) with us and make it a little “vacation”. Trouble is, there are certain stretches of I-10 (notably between Van Horn, TX and Junction, TX) where watching paint dry would be more exciting.
Fortunately, Saturn makes a minivan with a DVD player as standard equipment, so the folks in the back can watch something more interesting than mile markers. So I’m looking for TV series recommendations.
We’ve already done “Little House on the Prairie”, “The Waltons”, “Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries”, and “Ironsides” and “Perry Mason” (my MIL’s choices). So we’re looking for other family-friendly series. My son likes “MacGyver” and “Walker, Texas Ranger” and Nana will put up with some action as long as the women stay covered up, the language is clean, people aren’t openly living in sin, and the violence is minimal.
There’s my criteria. I know there are a lot of older series, like “Andy Griffith”, “Bonanza”, etc. but it’s the newer series I think the kids might like, but even then I have to be careful (for instance, “The Cosby Show” seems like a great bet, but in the very first season, like the second or third episode, Claire is trying to decide whether to have another baby or not and they make it sound like it’s just going to ruin their lives if she does… even her mother tries to dissuade her.)
So throw your ideas at me, tell me what’s good, what might be problematic (my MIL has VERY high standards, as some of you know from other postings) and I appreciate all the suggestions!
Fortunately, Saturn makes a minivan with a DVD player as standard equipment, so the folks in the back can watch something more interesting than mile markers. So I’m looking for TV series recommendations.
We’ve already done “Little House on the Prairie”, “The Waltons”, “Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries”, and “Ironsides” and “Perry Mason” (my MIL’s choices). So we’re looking for other family-friendly series. My son likes “MacGyver” and “Walker, Texas Ranger” and Nana will put up with some action as long as the women stay covered up, the language is clean, people aren’t openly living in sin, and the violence is minimal.
There’s my criteria. I know there are a lot of older series, like “Andy Griffith”, “Bonanza”, etc. but it’s the newer series I think the kids might like, but even then I have to be careful (for instance, “The Cosby Show” seems like a great bet, but in the very first season, like the second or third episode, Claire is trying to decide whether to have another baby or not and they make it sound like it’s just going to ruin their lives if she does… even her mother tries to dissuade her.)
So throw your ideas at me, tell me what’s good, what might be problematic (my MIL has VERY high standards, as some of you know from other postings) and I appreciate all the suggestions!