Recommendations on great Catholic websites

  • Thread starter Thread starter Plethyno
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plethyno

Guest
Hey all!

I’m headed into RCIA in the fall and have been doing a ton of reading. I’ve got a pretty extensive book list right now and the libraries of a few good friends that I can raid at any time. As a converting Protestant, there are a million blogs and “news” websites from a Christian perspective that I’ve been following but I’ve had a more difficult time finding a breadth of good Catholic websites. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I’m particularly interested in apologetics, history, news, personal blogs, etc.

Thanks in advance!
 
Hey all!

I’m headed into RCIA in the fall and have been doing a ton of reading. I’ve got a pretty extensive book list right now and the libraries of a few good friends that I can raid at any time. As a converting Protestant, there are a million blogs and “news” websites from a Christian perspective that I’ve been following but I’ve had a more difficult time finding a breadth of good Catholic websites. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I’m particularly interested in apologetics, history, news, personal blogs, etc.

Thanks in advance!
When checking out a Catholic website, I would recommend checking it against catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/ to make sure it’s not on their red list.

God Bless
 
Hey all!

I’m headed into RCIA in the fall and have been doing a ton of reading. I’ve got a pretty extensive book list right now and the libraries of a few good friends that I can raid at any time. As a converting Protestant, there are a million blogs and “news” websites from a Christian perspective that I’ve been following but I’ve had a more difficult time finding a breadth of good Catholic websites. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I’m particularly interested in apologetics, history, news, personal blogs, etc.

Thanks in advance!
I did my RCIA last year, and I found this website here was extremely useful. CAF has helped me with some of the smallest, probably repeated, questions, and everyone here has been lovely and helped me understand lots!

Welcome home!
God bless.
 
I think you need to be careful with selecting sites. Some “Catholic” sites may look nice and sound reasonable if you mull over what they say, but they may not necessarily represent Catholic teaching. I’m sorry to say that numerous posts on here by “Catholic” members fall well short of that as well.

This is a website, obviously, but I find myself referring a lot of questions to priests and spiritual directors because solving mental health issues and conscience formation really cannot take place on-line. In fact, some of these folks need to stay away from mass information.

So I think your first resource should always be a priest or RCIA staff. The apologists on here do a pretty good job, too.
 
catholicbridge is VERY good, it helped me a lot with questions I had, before becoming Catholic. It also helps when looking at it from a evangelical perspective, which can help if an evangelical friends asks things about the Catholic faith.
 
First, Catholic Answers (where you are right now) is a great apologetics website with tons of great articles and a nice, active forum. 🙂

NewAdvent.org is a site I check every day. The runner of the website (Kevin Knight) has made the main page a sort of aggregate of Catholic news and Catholic articles and other items of interest. The site also has the entirety of the Old Catholic Encyclopedia (1907-1914), the 38 volume set of the writings of the Early Church Fathers, and St. Thomas Aquinas’ famous Summa Theologica. Lots of great stuff to go through.

Catholic Education Resource Center is another site I like a lot. They are always adding new articles on a wide range of topics. I find them particularly useful for articles on Church history and moral issues.

Of course, we don’t want to forget the Vatican website. Since it was launched in late 1996, it has the English text of most anything coming out of the mouth of the Pope. Before that, it has a lot of the most major documents from the past 125 years.

EWTN and Catholic Culture are good, too. I don’t always agree with Catholic Culture’s website reviews, but they do come in handy.

National Catholic Register is a good Catholic news source, too. Catholic News Service is the news service of the USCCB (the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops), which is a good site, too.

There’s lots more, of course, but I don’t want to overwhelm you, so I’ll stop. 😛
 
Catholic Answers ;), EWTN, New Advent, Catholic.org, CatholicCulture.org, CatholicBible101, AmericanCatholic.org, among others!

May God bless you as you enter into the Catholic faith! 🙂
I would stay away from AmericanCatholic.org. They are on the Red List

catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=163&repos=2&subrepos=0&searchid=1399902

For someone in RCIA, you should avoid anything on Catholic Culture’s red list.

catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/

I also recommend these sites:
catholicscomehome.org/
symbolonrcia.org/

Welcome home!
 
Hey all!

I’m headed into RCIA in the fall and have been doing a ton of reading. I’ve got a pretty extensive book list right now and the libraries of a few good friends that I can raid at any time. As a converting Protestant, there are a million blogs and “news” websites from a Christian perspective that I’ve been following but I’ve had a more difficult time finding a breadth of good Catholic websites. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I’m particularly interested in apologetics, history, news, personal blogs, etc.

Thanks in advance!
When I was coming in to the Church I liked www.fisheaters.com It taught me what it means to be Catholic and Catholic tradition. Invaluable site. RCIA is OK, but you can’t learn it all in nine months. I also like National Catholic Register. Don’t confuse that site with National Catholic Reporter. Courageous Priest, Father Z’s blog, California Catholic Daily. God bless you on your journey.:signofcross:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top