Record Settlement Made Public

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

RECORD SETTLEMENT IN CLERGY ABUSE CASES

A judge has unsealed the details of a record $US100 million ($A128.7 million) settlement with a Southern California diocese over sex abuse allegations against clergy.

Alleged victims sobbed as they spoke publicly about a deal that was nearly two years in the making.

Monday’s settlement with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange marks the single largest clergy abuse settlement to date.

The Archdiocese of Boston agreed to pay $US85 million ($A109.4 million) to 552 plaintiffs in 2002.

“Let this be what everyone remembers from today: that nothing is more important than the protection of our children and our youth,” Bishop Tod D Brown said during a news conference after a brief court hearing.

“I seek their forgiveness, I hope for reconciliation and I know that they have now begun their healing process,” he said.

Some of the plaintiffs cried while others hugged Brown.

“Today I sit with you next to my brother in Christ, who has practised his faith - not just with the money, but I see the compassion of Christ in this man,” said plaintiff Mark Curran as he choked back tears. “Today, we can stand and we can say, ‘I forgive you.’ And of course I do. Of course we forgive you.”

The settlement came December 2 after nearly two years of negotiations; it was placed under a court seal while the parties signed off.

Payouts were based on the length and severity of abuse and other factors, but how much each plaintiff is getting remains confidential.

Half of the payout will come from the diocese and the other half will be paid by its eight insurance carriers.

The earliest allegation dated to 1936; the latest came in 1996.

Some 800 clergy abuse lawsuits are still pending state-wide and plaintiffs used the settlement announcement to call on other bishops - particularly Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony - to follow Brown’s example.

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles faces more than 500 lawsuits that are still locked in settlement negotiations. Trial dates for a handful of those cases are expected to be set Friday.

www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=102481&region=4

tom.wineman said:
How much went to the lawyers ?

What a concept of Christian forgiveness. We will collectively forgive you if the Church collectively pays us.

tom.wineman said:
How much went to the lawyers ?

Boston: 522 Plaintiffs $85 million

Orange: 90 Plaintiffs $128 million

Lawyers in Orange get 40%

Source: The Age (Australia)

maybe someone can explain this to me.
If these people have been abused, they have to accuse someone of that abuse, correct?
then why isnt all this stuff in criminal court, since last time i checked it was a crime to sexually abuse a minor? that way they can put these preists in jail.

why is the church giving out money settlements instead of prosecuting the abusers???

I know that if something like this happened to me, i would want the sicko that did it locked up in jail for a long time, not a bunch of money thrown at me to shut up

40.png
delorean_boy:
maybe someone can explain this to me.
If these people have been abused, they have to accuse someone of that abuse, correct?
then why isnt all this stuff in criminal court, since last time i checked it was a crime to sexually abuse a minor? that way they can put these preists in jail.

why is the church giving out money settlements instead of prosecuting the abusers???

I know that if something like this happened to me, i would want the sicko that did it locked up in jail for a long time, not a bunch of money thrown at me to shut up
The Statutes of Limitations has run out on most of these cases.
The Church cannot prosecute, this has to be done by our legal system. The victims and their families should have alerted the police within the alloted time, but many did not.

Yep, nothing heals the scars of childhood sexual abuse quite like a wad of cash.

40.png
Timidity:
Yep, nothing heals the scars of childhood sexual abuse quite like a wad of cash.
If I remember my theology correctly, God’s forgiveness is a free gift. What right does anyone have to charge another person for it. Image if God charged us for His forgiveness, no-one could afford to pay, hence the ENTIRE basis of our Christian faith. You don’t know how much I long to hear a story of one of these abuse victims who publicly and face to face forgave his offender. I would probably cry. These stories of financial settlements make me nautious.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
What right does anyone have to charge another person for it.
I hope you didn’t take my off-the-cuff cynicism as a serious statement that I think cash heals.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
If I remember my theology correctly, God’s forgiveness is a free gift. What right does anyone have to charge another person for it. Image if God charged us for His forgiveness, no-one could afford to pay, hence the ENTIRE basis of our Christian faith. You don’t know how much I long to hear a story of one of these abuse victims who publicly and face to face forgave his offender. I would probably cry. These stories of financial settlements make me nautious.
Yep! Me too!

No, I was just embellishing your thought.
40.png
Timidity:
I hope you didn’t take my off-the-cuff cynicism as a serious statement that I think cash heals.

I agree with you all…this is absurd…granted, there are legitimate cases of abuse…but with the increased number of cases of abuse that have been popping up…one has to wonder, especially since all of the victims are claiming that it happened 20-40 years ago and they are just remembering…there are several aspects of this that annoy me:

1)They wait until the statute of limitations expires, therefore there is no criminal case brought forth…in doing so, they keep it in a civil court (which is 1000 times easier to get a favorable verdict for the plaintiff than a criminal case where evidence, motive, etc. are weighed more heavily and burden of proof is not really applied to the plaintiff) or they just settle outside of court in order to keep it on the DL…it all results in easy and quick cash.
2)I find it hard to believe someone could be sexually assaulted, forget about it, and then one day just out of the blue remember it happened :confused:
3)Most of these cases are involving Priests/Bishops who have died and are unable to defend themselves and their reputations.
4)It always requires money to ease their suffering…if you truly got raped and your life was destroyed…how does a monetary settlement help you? Honestly…how?

I could go on and on…but what I think has happened, is that one person took this route…got an easy settlement, and now the people are coming out of the woodwork to do the same…and it is always about money…it seems to me, if they truly wanted the scars to heal, they would ask for a public confession of guilt from the person accused…I don’t like how the people sueing the **** out of our Church is always kept private and walks away with a large cash settlement with not even having to prove their stories are true…this is just sad.

It happened here in Baton Rouge about a month or two ago…a guy (unknown) claims that Bishop Sullivan molested/raped him in 1970 something…I think it was 1974. Now, 30 years later…the guy just all of a sudden remembered what happened…and Bishop Sullivan is dead and can not defend himself. So, in order to avoid scandal…they stripped Bishop Sullivan High School (here in Baton Rouge) of its name…they are currently in the process of renaming it and they settled with the guy outside of court for an unknown amount of money…This is just terible. First, the man is not here to defend himself, this is an isolated claim…and it seems like there would be more claimants if the allegations were true, all the guy wanted was money for his suffering, it supposedly happened 30 years ago, and finally they stripped the High School of the Bishops name…all without any substantiation and without the Bishop around to defend himself.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
If I remember my theology correctly, God’s forgiveness is a free gift. What right does anyone have to charge another person for it. Image if God charged us for His forgiveness, no-one could afford to pay, hence the ENTIRE basis of our Christian faith.
I really don’t think these people are “selling” their forgiveness. Even after the money has been paid, they will not have “forgiven” any more or any less in their hearts.

That’s probably the point you were making, pbut I just wanted to spell it out. This is just a money grab, plain and simple.

It got me thinking though: what if the Law of the Old Testament were applied to these cases?

As a sexual matter The Law would call for either the death of the offender or that he pay the victim’s father the virgin price compensate for his losses, depending on the circumstances. Seeing that the victim’s father doesn’t lose money these days, that option would be worth $0 to the victim.

As a strictly financial matter (going by memory, because I’m too lazy to look it up right now) The Law allowed for recovery of actual damages plus 20%. So if one of these victims were to settle for the actual cost of their therapy, plus 20%, I would say that was fair. Let’s see… my therapist used to charge $100/ session. 1 session per week, about 50 weeks a year would be $5,000 per year. Plus the 20% would be a total of $6,000 per year of therapy. Seems fair to me.

Yes, I’ve always wondered how many of these “settlements” are just to keep the mouths of these so-called “victims” shut. If these “victims” are really making up their individual cases of abuse, and accepting the money, that is the same as stealing. They will have to pay eventually, if they are lying. I think the church has been too generous in handing out money to everybody, especially the ones that have no proof.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Boston: 522 Plaintiffs $85 million

Orange: 90 Plaintiffs $128 million

Lawyers in Orange get 40%

Source: The Age (Australia)
I often wonder who contacted who first, the abused contacted the lawyers or the lawyers contacted the abuse. Also how do they determine if the abuser is for real or did they answer a newspaper ad ?

Anyway it makes for rich lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back