Redemptionis Sacramentum

• Thread starter Thread starter kmmd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kmmd

Are we actually bound to report abuses to the Bishop? I have been arguing for years (with two different pastors and now a pastoral administrator) about the abuses in our parish. Some of the abuses that are named in this document are clearly supported by the diocese (as documented on the diocesean website). Lately, I have felt that I have just griped for too long and that I should just humble myself and let God take charge.

Am I required now to go back out on the ledge?..should I go back to the parish, or should I start making notes of dates and times and just submit it to the diocese? On the one hand, it seems futile but then if there are many others in the diocese like me, may be they would even let the Bishop know he is getting these letters.

Any advise?

Write it out in a formal letter again to your pastor. Use clear and concise examples with your notes of them. Make it CC to the Bishop this time also and send one to the Bishop. Then proceed to the Nuncio if the Bishop does not address the situation.

Remember to keep it very respectful and to the point. Use only the things you know are absolutely listed as an abuse. Don’t get into personality type problems etc.

Good Luck and God Bless,
Marie

I think the most important thing to remember is that we, the laity, have a right to an orthodox faith. I hate that these abuses have taken center stage. I find myself going to Mass (in different cities in the U.S. due to traveling a lot) and watching the priest to be sure he is doing everything in the proper manner. I keep praying that I can stop this because I know it is wrong. Unfortunately I don’t even have to try most of the time to see the rubrics disregarded. On the bright side, I have talked to a lot of young adults (ages 18-35) around the country. It looks like our opinion is the majority opinion of young Catholics. My parish priest is very young and extremely devout. Even though it is not proper to do so, Father has everyone kneal during the penitential rite. At least he is going to the oposite end of the spectrum. Let us keep praying for our priests all over the world. 👍

Just remember to go up the line starting with the priest. Always ask them to clarify what they are doing and explain why something is acceptable. Ask for specific documentation.

Dear kkmmd,
I just reviewed Redemptionis Sacramentum. In this Instruction it is pointed out in section [171.]
“Among the various abuses there are some which are objectively graviora delicta or otherwise constitute grave matters, as well as others which are nonetheless to be carefully avoided and corrected”

You may need to identify in which group the abuse you have observed belongs when writing your complaint . The instruction then goes on in section [184.]
“Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law, or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff.[290] It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity.”

All of which bears out what cmom and Marie have already suggested to you. Has anyone else in your parish been troubled by what you have observed?

pat

I assume these are abuses in the saying of the Mass. Did all of this variety in the Mass exist before Vatican II? Maybe as changes come along it takes decades for everyone to figure out exactly what to do correctly.

kathie :bowdown:

40.png
harinkj:
I assume these are abuses in the saying of the Mass. Did all of this variety in the Mass exist before Vatican II? Maybe as changes come along it takes decades for everyone to figure out exactly what to do correctly.

kathie :bowdown:
Kathie,

In the Mass of Pius V (the Tridentine Mass) there were very few “options” available to the priest. and those mostly related to the selection of prayers depending on the “class” of the day. Going back before Trent, there were numerous options and, depending on where you were, the Mass could look quite different depending on the sacramentary that was in use. Prior to Trent there was no mandated form of the Mass (although there was great commonality).

Deacon Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back