A
angell1
Guest
can someone explain this to me? i’m a bit confused by it? how our suffering redeem us if Christ already suffered it all?
Here are some sites which give an understanding to our suffering and its value to ourselves and to others.can someone explain this to me? i’m a bit confused by it? how our suffering redeem us if Christ already suffered it all?
Most simply, we can offer our sufferings in union with Christs for our own purification, that of others, or for the salvation of others, as well as healing. It is up to Christ how He will use our sufferings, but he does. Suffering is a difficult mystery to understand and too accept, but it does have meaning when put in the light of God’s love for us.can someone explain this to me? i’m a bit confused by it? how our suffering redeem us if Christ already suffered it all?
Jesus has united all men to himself.He has made it that your sufferings are his sufferings. So when you suffer you save the world, in union with him. Suffering in itself is of no value and is an evil that Jesus came to conquer. What is of value is that Jesus has made your sufferings his and when you suffer is used as the means of the rescue of all.can someone explain this to me? i’m a bit confused by it? how our suffering redeem us if Christ already suffered it all?
Christ suffered to redeem the Church from sin. He suffered and died upon the Cross as an example for us to follow, therefore, we must suffer for the redemption of the Church also. Scripture says:can someone explain this to me? i’m a bit confused by it? how our suffering redeem us if Christ already suffered it all?
The concept of redemptive suffering is one that I also cannot wrap my head around. To suggest that suffering is a “good thing” strikes me as being pure nonsense.can someone explain this to me? i’m a bit confused by it? how our suffering redeem us if Christ already suffered it all?
One way to understand it is not to see a void between Christ and the members of the Church. Scripture tells us the Church is his body (Col 1:24, Eph 1:22-23). Christ suffers through the members. I recommend reviewing examples in the post by De Maria. To also show that our suffering is not something alien to Christ’s suffering, I would also add:Philippians 3:10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferingscan someone explain this to me? i’m a bit confused by it? how our suffering redeem us if Christ already suffered it all?
Could you share where this is substantiated?I read somewhere that Mother Teresa would sometimes withhold pain treatment from those in her care
I didn’t say it was substantiated. I said that I read it somewhere. And as I said in the part of my post that you cut out of your quote, I don’t know if it’s true or not. But since you seem to be curious, I found a few articles for you.Could you share where this is substantiated?
The Times of India, reporting on the controversial essay, wrote that the authors asserted Mother Teresa saw beauty in the downtrodden’s suffering and was far more willing to pray for them than provide practical medical care.
On principal, strong painkillers were not even administered in severe cases as, according to Mother Teresa’s philosophy, it is “the most beautiful gift for a person that can participate in the suffering of Christ.” Well, the person suffering may beg to differ.
Here’s another place where the topic was discussed:
We not only have holy Mass and our own redemptive suffering for the application to individual souls of the merits of the redemption, but we also have the Blessed Virgin Mary and the other Sacraments. Much more powerful and important than our own co-redeeming – for the application of the merits of redemption to individual souls – is the *co-redemption of the Blessed Virgin Mary *and the powerful action of the Sacraments. God bless you.Christ’s suffering and death on the Cross in a universal way redeemed all men, yet for the merits of His suffering and death to be applied to individuals we have the Mass and our own redemptive suffering – the kind of suffering St. Paul speaks of in Col. 1:24. “Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:” (emphasis mine)
This can be very misleading to a non-Catholic. All of the above must be understood in the following light of Church Dogma:We not only have holy Mass and our own redemptive suffering for the application to individual souls of the merits of the redemption, but we also have the Blessed Virgin Mary and the other Sacraments. Much more powerful and important than our own co-redeeming – for the application of the merits of redemption to individual souls – is the *co-redemption of the Blessed Virgin Mary *and the powerful action of the Sacraments. God bless you.
Co-Redemption is NOT equal to Redemption – I never said that it was – but still it is a reality if we consider the special role of Mary in the redemption of man taught by Marian theologians. If anyone misunderstands what I say in my previous post and thinks that Co-Redemption means Redemption, it is their own fault, for I NEVER have said that Mary or we REDEEM souls, only that our co-redemption contributes to the application of the merits of the Redemption of Christ to individual souls. And I mean the souls who come into the world every day. I am merely relaying the theology relayed to me by a Marian Novus Ordo friar and by pious Catholic books. I don’t find it hard to believe that Mary is Co-Redemptrix. Not at all. But if it is true what the Marian friar I spoke with says about us being co-redeemers in a much lesser way than Mary, but co-redeemers just the same – it makes sense to me in light of what St. Paul says here in Col. 1:24. “Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:” I believe that if we, like Mary but to a lesser degree, truly are co-redeemers in the application of the merits of the Redemption on Christ to individual souls who come into the world every day , then we are co-redeemers in a MUCH lesser way than Mary the Mother of God, who played a most special and unique role in the redemption of man.This can be very misleading to a non-Catholic. All of the above must be understood in the following light of Church Dogma:
1 Jesus Christ is our SOLE MEDIATOR who, by HIS life, death and resurrection has purchased for us the freely given grace of Salvation and the Sanctification of our own good works, making them meritorious. This is not something we have earned, but have been given by the Mercy and Love of Jesus Christ. Even the Blessed Virgin Mary was redeemed (by a Sanctifying grace at her Immaculate Conception,) in anticipation of the work of Redemption by Jesus Christ.
I am not arguing against the theology of redemptive suffering, just trying to keep it in perspective, as non-Catholics might easily misconstrue many of the comments in this thread as denigrating the work of Redemption wrought by Jesus Christ alone.
- It is this ocean of grace, won for us by Jesus Christ that ENABLES us to do good works, which are deemed meritorious by God. This includes the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Therefore all of the prerogatives we ascribe to the Virgin Mary, are ULTIMATELY due to the free GRACE AND MERCY of Jesus Christ.
- All of the redemptive suffering we patiently endure, is ALSO by the Grace of Jesus Christ, and not attributable to ourselves.
I think you misunderstand me. I am not contradicting you. I am merely trying to keep things in perspective. It must ALWAYS be born in mind, that ALL of our merits (including those of the BVM) are made possible by the freely bestowed grace of our Redeemer Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and Mediator, offers OUR suffering and mediation on behalf of sinners, to the FAther, for which reason they are acceptable, and for no other.But if it is true what the Marian friar I spoke with says about us being co-redeemers in a much lesser way than Mary, but co-redeemers just the same – it makes sense to me in light of what St. Paul says here in Col. 1:24. “Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:” I believe that if we, like Mary but to a lesser degree, truly are co-redeemers in the application of the merits of the Redemption on Christ to individual souls who come into the world every day , then we are co-redeemers in a MUCH lesser way than Mary the Mother of God, who played a most special and unique role in the redemption of man.
If you do not read Marian books written by the Saints and Marian theologians, you may try to further refute me, so I will make this my last post on this thread with hopes that you and others understand my explanation. God bless you.