Reflection on today's scripture readings 17 May 2011

  • Thread starter Thread starter Onedayatatime
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Onedayatatime

Guest
Time to decide which side you are on.

Believe it when you see and feel his presence.

*No one can take you from him once you declare for him. No one. *

Today’s reading
 
In todays First Reading, From Acts, ch. 11, Barbabas is sent to antioch to see what is going on there. As is my understanding, the Word was first preached to Jews and Jews alone, but apparently the Word spread to the gentiles or greeks. Barnabas then seeks out Paul who has been apparently studing with other Jews about the Christ. Paul goes with Barnabas to Antioch and thus his mission as Apostle to the gentiles begins. I’ve always been curious as to the reaction that Paul may have gotten from his fellow Christians considering that he was a well known persecutor of same. I would imagine that they met him with great suspicion and doubt. I started a thread some many months ago asking for any historical references as to how Paul was greeted by the early Church fathers. I got zero response. So, I am asking if the reason that Paul was sought specifically for a mission to gentiles was because he might have been ill received amongst Jewish groups. It makes logical sense, but I wonder if there is a historical record.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top