D
dtarvin
Guest
Hello all. I have been discussing religion with my father, who is not a Christian. He says he believes there is a God, and the other day he even conceded that Jesus is the Son of God (I don’t know if he believes it, but he conceded it). He is even willing to concede the authority of the Catholic Church in all matters religious.
His reason for not wanting to be a Christian is simple: He refuses to submit to any kind of authority.
When he said this, I immediately knew what he meant. My dad is the type of person who will do what he wants and do what needs to be done, regardless of the consequences. Not I don’t mean that he drinks or parties or what not. But he does not want to follow rules imposed by others, including, at times, the law. This issue seems beyond apologetics. However, I, being a logical person myself, still hold out hope that if I can somehow make the right reasoned argument as to why he would want to follow the Church’s rules and become Catholic, that I might actually persuade him.
I already told him that making a choice to not be a Christian or submit to Church authority is making a choice to go to hell. That argument doesn’t faze him.
Anyone have any other ideas for things I might say? This may be a situation where all I can do is pray for a change of heart.
Thanks all!
His reason for not wanting to be a Christian is simple: He refuses to submit to any kind of authority.
When he said this, I immediately knew what he meant. My dad is the type of person who will do what he wants and do what needs to be done, regardless of the consequences. Not I don’t mean that he drinks or parties or what not. But he does not want to follow rules imposed by others, including, at times, the law. This issue seems beyond apologetics. However, I, being a logical person myself, still hold out hope that if I can somehow make the right reasoned argument as to why he would want to follow the Church’s rules and become Catholic, that I might actually persuade him.
I already told him that making a choice to not be a Christian or submit to Church authority is making a choice to go to hell. That argument doesn’t faze him.
Anyone have any other ideas for things I might say? This may be a situation where all I can do is pray for a change of heart.
Thanks all!