Regeneration: can a former Calvinist/Baptist Christian help me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KnightIHSV
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KnightIHSV

Guest
I have been in a back-and-forth discussion with a friend who is a Bible only Christian, closest in theology to a Reformed/Baptist. We have our different views on the same Scripture but we both respect each other and often go over basic theological differences in a respectful manner.

In understanding his view, I have been reading some Protestant theology, especially from the Reformed tradition. One concept that I have heard of is called “regeneration”. I had not heard this term before and I am not sure I understand it. Can anyone of a Reformed/Baptist type of background assist? What is the Catholic position?

Please note that I am not out to mock or attack the Reformed tradition. I have many Presbyterian ancestors and I enormously respect the scholarship and Scriptural beliefs of Presbyterians.

Thanks.

Graham
 
regeneration is the cutting off of a living part and restoring it.Some small animals can have a part cut off in it grows back automatically.Calvinist may believe that we die and are regenerated to a better person a second time around.Im not sure if this is their reasoning but it goes against Catholic teaching.
 
**:bible1:
*Jesus answered, and said to him:
Amen, amen I say to thee,
unless a man be
born again,
he cannot see the kingdom of God. *
- John 3:3


+The word “regeneration” is only used a couple of times in **Sacred :bible1: Scripture **. . . in a religious context among Christians it refers to the teaching of our . . . **Lord Himself ** . . . Who . . . in all simplicity . . . introduced the :bible1: **Scriptural **term and profound holy concept and reality of the necessity of needing to be “born again” by the grace of God . . . which is a specific work of the . . . Third Person of the Holy Trinity . . . the wonderful **Holy Spirit **of our God . . . and is recorded in the New Testament as quoted above . . .

The portions of Sacred :bible1: Scripture below reference the word “regeneration” specifically . . .

:bible1: Matthew 19:28 And Jesus said to them: Amen,** I **say to you, that you, who have followed me, in the regeneration, when the **Son of Man **shall sit on the seat of his majesty, you also shall sit on twelve seats judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

:bible1:** 2 Titus 3:5** Not by the works of justice, which we have done, but according to his mercy, he saved us, by the laver of regeneration, and renovation of the Holy Ghost;​
. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Lord+
. . . thank You Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
​
 
As a soon-to-be former Presbyterian and former Calvinist, my understanding of regeneration is that the Holy Spirit needs to make you spiritually alive before you can come to believe in God. Regeneration is a prerequisite for saving faith. It is an act of God alone.

Perhaps one of the current Reformed Christians can give a better explanation. :cool:
 
I have been in a back-and-forth discussion with a friend who is a Bible only Christian, closest in theology to a Reformed/Baptist. We have our different views on the same Scripture but we both respect each other and often go over basic theological differences in a respectful manner.

In understanding his view, I have been reading some Protestant theology, especially from the Reformed tradition. One concept that I have heard of is called “regeneration”. I had not heard this term before and I am not sure I understand it. Can anyone of a Reformed/Baptist type of background assist? What is the Catholic position?

Please note that I am not out to mock or attack the Reformed tradition. I have many Presbyterian ancestors and I enormously respect the scholarship and Scriptural beliefs of Presbyterians.

Thanks.

Graham
Greetings in the LORD, KnightIHSV!

Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology is a well received work among Reformed Baptists. You’ll see me quote from it in the second post linked below.

As Catholics, we believe that regeneration takes place through faith when we are baptized, and born again of water and the Spirit. This is when we become a new creation in Christ, saved in hope of our future resurrection. Here are two posts that I’ve written which touch on this:

Augustine and the Reformed
Wayne Grudem and Regeneration

May the Lord be with you!

In Christ,
Pete

Help John Bugay
 
Thanks very much to all contributors. One of the great blessings of CAF is that I can put a question forward and have such help. Thank you.

I see in Titus 3 (in the RSV-CE) the word “regeneration” appears but it is in a context of a chapter on Christian conduct and how we should behave. Is that the only relevant use? It seems a fundamental concept and yet I struggle to believe that it could hine on Titus 3.

Thanks again to all who answer and enlighten me.

Yours fraternally in Christ,

Graham
 
Is that the only relevant use?
here’s a couple lex entries on the word regeneration/palingenesia

LS-31981 παλινγενεσίᾳ / παλιγγενεσίᾳ palingenesia
palin (again) & genesis (generate/birth)
a being born again, new birth; used by Cic. of his restoration after exile:-
hence, in N.T.,
  1. the resurrection.
  2. regeneration by baptism.
Fri-20359 παλιγγενεσίᾳfrom palin (again) and genesis (birth); regeneration;
(1) of the future as the restoration and renewal of the world new age (MT 19.28);
(2) as spiritual and moral renewal of an individual new birth, regeneration (TI 3.5)
 
But as I read Titus 3, it is addressed to Cretans in a sense I do not fully understand as being different from other exhortations to Christians to do better and be better because Christ died for your sins and Christ has justified you by His grace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top