Rehashing Eucharistic Liturgical Abuses

  • Thread starter Thread starter centurionguard
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of things which aren’t right are done; that doesn’t make them right. Wrong things are done for many reasons. One is ignorance that the thing isn’t wrong. Another is willful disobedience. I would tend to side with ignorance. Maybe these priests weren’t taught it was wrong… it can happen, you know… some seminaries are looser than others with their instruction.
You’re being charitable here. I’ve had a former seminary professor yell at me when I suggested that having EMCHs distribute Communion and 2 priests sitting down flew in the face of several Roman documents, “We haven’t listened to what Rome said about that in years past and we’re not about to start now!”
 
In our parish only priests distribute Holy Communion. Our church is not large, but at least 250 people receive and most receive at the communion rail. Some in the back receive from a priest standing. Some people also by pass the priest who is standing to receive at the communion rail. We have 6 Masses including the one on Saturday evening and each Mass is full. Our priest is older and has problems kneeling himself.

Once a use i.e. receiving from an EMCH, holding hands at the Our Father or shaking hands at the peace have been used for years it is difficult to make changes. I think people grow to expect things done a certain way and don’t like changes, even if the Church dictates it.

I have noticed some posters argue with Rome’s dictates if they are not explicitly stated in the rubics or some other document. They can always find a priest who agrees with their opinion even when another priest sites the rules that state what is not allowed.

If Rome wants changes they need to make sure that the Bishops, priests and laity are aware of this and follow up to make sure that parishes are complying with the Churches standards. From what posts on these areas I have read it appears there is much confusion over what is acceptable and what is not.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette
 
I suppose in the scheme of things,this Liturgical Abuse is of a lower order than I lot of things that are of far graver matter.I think that in this instance the person who has to answer to God for his actions is the priest himself.I have been thinking about this and I believe prayer would be the best option here.There is not a lot of scandleous example here and we are not aware of the priests’ reasons.So I am not sure that the priests’ action deserves being reported;whilst us lay people do know the Law–at least here,we are not judges of the clergy.But yes, us lay persons are entitled to attend a Mass that is in tune with the correct rubrics. Lord sancify your priest and sacred ministers.
 
I don’t think this has anything at all to do with being “liberal.” I think it has to do with being heterodox. My bishop is extremely liberal, particularly in social justice matters but he is also extremely orthodox. Misusing terms can be a real turn-off to some.
I think you’re splitting hairs here and I’m not sure why. Generally speaking, and in my experience and within the context of Catholicism in America, “liberal” = "herterodox= dissident. Liberal priests generally agree on the basics, believe in modernism, and tolerate all sorts of liturgical abuses, and are even politically liberal.

Ishii
 
I suppose in the scheme of things,this Liturgical Abuse is of a lower order than I lot of things that are of far graver matter.I think that in this instance the person who has to answer to God for his actions is the priest himself.I have been thinking about this and I believe prayer would be the best option here.There is not a lot of scandleous example here and we are not aware of the priests’ reasons.So I am not sure that the priests’ action deserves being reported;whilst us lay people do know the Law–at least here,we are not judges of the clergy.But yes, us lay persons are entitled to attend a Mass that is in tune with the correct rubrics. Lord sancify your priest and sacred ministers.
I would not be so flippant about this. After all, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has posted Redemptionis Sacramentum for everyone to read. In fact, it encourages the faithful to affirm their rights, charitably, of course, and to raise legitimate questions. If it did not matter to the CDWDS, it would not have taken such action in the first place.
 
I notice that the OP hasn’t responded to tell us if his priest is ill or in some way incapacitated. When you notice something like a person sitting who has stood in the past or perahps walking slower, etc., it is only natural and charitable to ask about their health so that you may pray for their recovery if necessary.
 
I notice that the OP hasn’t responded to tell us if his priest is ill or in some way incapacitated. When you notice something like a person sitting who has stood in the past or perhaps walking slower, etc., it is only natural and charitable to ask about their health so that you may pray for their recovery if necessary.
My apologies for not updating this thread. Most of the weekend I have been in hospital ill from a Chemo-therapy treatment session last week and visiting my mother who is terminally ill in Cardiac Intensive Care. I just got home yesterday. I did seek out and talk to a close friend who also happens to be a sacristan and knows this priest in question as I do. I have found out that whilst I have been praying for my parish priest that he is not well himself and is on the verge of burn-out due to his work-load as a priest.

In my archdiocese priests from the French and English Deanery are spread very thin due to aging priest most of whom have retired or are semi-retired and offer their services on a limited bases as their health allows. There are few full time priests most of whom are well into their fifties. As I said before; my archdiocese has a reputation know across central and eastern Canada for being quite liberal. Our archbishop has tried bring in other priests from other countries mostly from Africa. Sadly; I not sure whether it’s a culture-shock for those priests or whether it was regrettably bigotry from some Catholics that pressured these priests; most of these foreign priests for whatever personal reason have left the actual priesthood. There are other extenuating circumstances which would in a matter of saying cause a priest to be defrocked but it is far from me to bring judgmental cause of defamation and slander against any priest no matter what the circumstances.

I am confused and disheartened as to why our archbishop has not looked for available priests who follow the more traditional auspices of the Magisterium.

Now some would say that all priests follow the strict guidelines of the Magisterium.
Regrettably; I beg to differ. Not all is as it should be in the Catholic Church around this world. The Catholic Church “is” in a Crisis. And that Crisis today is called Modernity.

And modernity effects both the laity and the priesthood.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top