Relating to Jesus

  • Thread starter Thread starter hlmem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hlmem

Guest
I am currently in the process of trying to re-establish my Catholic faith.

One thing I want to be stronger is when I see Jesus or the Crucifix, I feel a real lack of connection and lack of emotion.

I understand the things he did for us but I feel as it is more of a understanding like a person gets in history class more than a real emotional connection.

What type of things helped people connect with Jesus on a more personal level?

Thank You in advance
 
I understand what you mean, it’s hard to “experience” what Jesus did for us and I was often relating to the historical events surrounding Jesus and what “did it” for me was seeing “The Passion of The Christ”. The depiction of our Lord’s suffering was intense… In fact, it’s extremely difficult to even think about it at times…

I also find art, commentaries, other media, etc can all add to the “relating” you want to do, but ultimately a personal relationship is always built upon what you provide to the relationship… i.e. the relationship can’t be cultivated unless you add yourself to it…

right?

SG
 
I am currently in the process of trying to re-establish my Catholic faith.

One thing I want to be stronger is when I see Jesus or the Crucifix, I feel a real lack of connection and lack of emotion.

I understand the things he did for us but I feel as it is more of a understanding like a person gets in history class more than a real emotional connection.

What type of things helped people connect with Jesus on a more personal level?

Thank You in advance
Watch the movie called “The Passion of the Christ” by Mel Gibson. It will really tear at your heart to see what Jesus did for all of us. Even though it is not a 100 percent accurate depiction of the passion events, it is the description given by Anne Cathereine Emmerich. This depiction most likely is how it all felt to Jesus. Because He is God He was more sensitive to pain than you or I. His sense of pain was what we would see to be greatly magnified- meaning what you see in the movie is actually what HE FELT it all to be like.

Ken
 
God bless you in your efforts! & Welcome home / welcome back to your journey in faith.

I agree about seeing the Passion of the Christ.

I would also recommend becoming more familiar with the Sorrowful mysteries of the rosary. Find a scriptural companion book for them, and spend time in prayer with them.

“To Jesus through Mary” is a common phrase you might hear. It’s true. Mary, who raised her baby boy into manhood, will always lead us to her Son. Ask her to tell you more about Him in each of the mysteries of the rosary.
 
I am currently in the process of trying to re-establish my Catholic faith.

One thing I want to be stronger is when I see Jesus or the Crucifix, I feel a real lack of connection and lack of emotion.

I understand the things he did for us but I feel as it is more of a understanding like a person gets in history class more than a real emotional connection.

What type of things helped people connect with Jesus on a more personal level?

Thank You in advance
Understanding this is a reality:

Heb 12:22: But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering,
23: and to the assembly of the first-born who are enrolled in heaven, and to a judge who is God of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24: and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks more graciously than the blood of Abel.

You are truly standing before the throne of God in Mass at the festal gathering:

Rev 5:5: Then one of the elders said to me, “Weep not; lo, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.”
6: And between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders, I saw a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain, with seven horns and with seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth;
7: and he went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who was seated on the throne.
8: And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints;
9: and they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy art thou to take the scroll and to open its seals, for thou wast slain and by thy blood didst ransom men for God from every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
10: and hast made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on earth.”
11: Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands,
12: saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!”
13: And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all therein, saying, “To him who sits upon the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might for ever and ever!”
14: And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
I am currently in the process of trying to re-establish my Catholic faith.

One thing I want to be stronger is when I see Jesus or the Crucifix, I feel a real lack of connection and lack of emotion.

I understand the things he did for us but I feel as it is more of a understanding like a person gets in history class more than a real emotional connection.

What type of things helped people connect with Jesus on a more personal level?
You cannot conjure up feelings from thin air.
If you go to Mass weekly and confession occasionally then you are a good Catholic.

A few Catholics, like Terese of Liseux, are called to a very intense, emotional type of faith. Some, like Mother Theresa, are called to a very radical service of others. Most are called to be mothers or fathers of families, and to occasionally do their bit when the parish wants someone to bake buns for CAFOD or the like.

You needn’t worry but that God has some special plan for you.
 
Hi,
Find a bible study. Start reading what Jesus wrote–the book of John is an excellent place to start.👍
 
If you wish to relate to the Suffering Christ, help those who are suffering. Jesus’ suffering were not only for our sins, but for all the suffering in the world.

We are to see him in the sufferings of others, especially the poor, the sick, the lonely, the grieving, etc. Get involved with helping those in need and you will begin to relate to the sufferings Christ endured to make all our sufferings holy offerings to God.
 
Read the words of Jesus found in the gospels over and over again until they easily come to mind.

Spend some private time outside of Mass with Jesus really present in the Blessed Sacrament reserved in the tabernacle of the nearest Catholic Church. While you are there, tell him of all your concerns and then in silence allow Him to give reply, if he wants to.

At Mass, when the Bible is read and the homily is given, think of it as Jesus speaking to you. When the priest confects the Eucharist and distributes Holy Communion, think of it as Jesus doing those things.
 
What type of things helped people connect with Jesus on a more personal level?
I agree with all that is said above.

In addition, try meditating on His life in the Rosary. As you do each decade, the repetitions of Hail Mary’s is to distract the brain to allow the mind to reflect upon each mystery. Think about what that particular mystery is about. Imagine you are there as an eye witness.

Whenever I do that, I get caught up in the events, for me they become so real, as if I REALLY WERE THERE. I see things I would never have imagined. It is SO REAL and life-like
 
If you wish to relate to the Suffering Christ, help those who are suffering. Jesus’ suffering were not only for our sins, but for all the suffering in the world.

We are to see him in the sufferings of others, especially the poor, the sick, the lonely, the grieving, etc. Get involved with helping those in need and you will begin to relate to the sufferings Christ endured to make all our sufferings holy offerings to God.
:clapping: Now that’s some advice you can take to the bank!
 
Watch the movie called “The Passion of the Christ” by Mel Gibson.
I agree about seeing the Passion of the Christ.
Yep I agree watching the movie “The Passion of the Christ” is a good way.
I would also recommend becoming more familiar with the Sorrowful mysteries of the rosary. Find a scriptural companion book for them, and spend time in prayer with them.
I think this is a good idea; also it might be helpful to learn the Divine Mercy Chaplet.
Find a bible study.
May I suggest: salvationhistory.com/online/coursesofstudy.cfm
Start reading what Jesus wrote–the book of John is an excellent place to start.👍
Reading the Gospel of John is not a bad idea. This may also help when reading the Gospel of John: ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=7076&T1=Gospel+of+John
 
When I gaze upon the crucifix, I try to reflect on just how much God Loves us.

Next time you are looking upon the crucifix, you might want to reflect of this passage.
Romans 5:8
But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
 
I am currently in the process of trying to re-establish my Catholic faith.

One thing I want to be stronger is when I see Jesus or the Crucifix, I feel a real lack of connection and lack of emotion.

I understand the things he did for us but I feel as it is more of a understanding like a person gets in history class more than a real emotional connection.

What type of things helped people connect with Jesus on a more personal level?

Thank You in advance
Watching movie about Jesus is a good start, but don’t just rely on the feeling and emotion when you watch the movie. Yes, it will definitely move your heart immediately. You may even cry. However, this might not last long as it is more from the outside.

The main things, as already mentioned by other posters, are that you could read Bible more and praying. This year the Church calls us to read Bible. You can use a term “No Bible, No breakfast” to keep you reading the Bible daily. :).

For praying, you can pray any of the followings: the rosary, the novena of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Divine Mercy, The Fifteen prayers of St. Brigitta.

Part of the praying is that you could ask Jesus to give you graces and understanding His Love for You. When you understand more about how much He loves you, you will find that you will love Him more and more each day.

When you love Him more, looking at a Cross, looking at a homeless, or looking at a stranger, you will see Jesus in them. That is how Jesus wants us to relate to Him.

see verses: Luke 11:29-37
 
find someone to serve, and look for the face of Jesus in those whom you serve.

live out radical love in your family relationships.

look, really look at, the poor the marginalized, the topics of horrific news stories, and look for Christ in those stories and situations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top