Relationship w/ Jesus & insomnia...is there a connection?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DvineMerCnmysol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DvineMerCnmysol

Guest
Does anyone have any information, or experience with how a person’s relationship with God & Jesus affects their ability to sleep at night? I am looking for some insight on this subject, as well as any articles that you might feel are applicable. Thank you in advance!
 
I never heard of that before. I don’t think He causes insomnia, and most of the time I get a sense of His peace when I go to visit Him in the Blessed Sacrament. That is, unless something is upsetting me.

Sleep doesn’t come easily sometimes just because. It could be worries, or maybe you’re just not tired.

In my case, sometimes it’s just that I have a “thing” about having contact with other people, especially my daughter. When she and her family come over, it’s real treat. Along with the enjoyment, though, comes stimulation and that makes it hard to “turn off” and go to sleep.
 
Thank you for your response! I didn’t word my question very clearly, I was curious if possibly, a lack of relationship with Jesus might cause someone to have insomnia 🙂
 
When our soul is troubled, yes, it can have physical impact.
A person at peace with the Lord sleeps pretty well at night, barring any medical conditions. I don’t have any data for you though…sorry. 😊
 
i suffer from mania at times so long time ago when i prayed frequently or all the time i could not sleep and ended up in the hospital, however, that is because of the condition, im not saying you have it or anything, usually when you pray you sleep really well with peace like others say and God wakes you up rather nicely
 
I would say my insomnia has perhaps negatively impacted by relationship with God, i.e. the devil has been modestly successful in tempting me during episodes. I think of Samuel being called by the Lord (cf. 1 Samuel 3:1-18), and have tried praying similarly, but God has never communicated with me during any period of sleeplessness except insofar as I chose to read from the Bible, the Catholic Encyclopedia, the Summa Theologica, etc. In other words, the apparent pointlessness of not being able to sleep, the apparent lack of interaction with God during these times, and the apparent lack of God’s help in returning to sleep or remaining asleep is positive evidence for atheism.

Of course I offer up this suffering as well, so only God knows the spiritual ‘net gain’ resulting from these problems.
 
I have to get up early some mornings every week and I gave up coffee so that I could just depend on God to wake me up. Some nights I have to work late and get up at 5 am…and again the next morning. Many mornings He will wake me before my alarm goes off, some mornings The Holy Spirit wakes me up at like 4:59am : ) And the miracle of His grace is that I will not be sleepy. God is the best alarm clock.

There are nights that the Holy Spirit has kept me up almost all night (more frequently before I had to start getting up early). I pray that He comes to me and I may enjoy the presence of His Holy Spirit. I praise God for every minute. There are times when I think that surely I need more rest to perform my best but He gets me through every day and many with a great joy, thanks be to God. Insomnia never crossed my mind, it was more time with the Lord. I pray whatever rest I do get is great rest, I will have a great day in the Lord and He may share the presence of His Holy Spirit as God desires.

Before I was a Christian I most always slept through the night. I only remember having difficulty when pregnant (during the last trimester).
 
Many mornings He will wake me before my alarm goes off, some mornings The Holy Spirit wakes me up at like 4:59am : ) And the miracle of His grace is that I will not be sleepy. God is the best alarm clock.
Why do you say / How do you know that God is waking you up, rather than natural biological processes?
There are nights that the Holy Spirit has kept me up almost all night (more frequently before I had to start getting up early). I pray that He comes to me and I may enjoy the presence of His Holy Spirit. I praise God for every minute.
I don’t understand this. What do you mean the Holy Spirit keeps you awake?
 
Why do you say / How do you know that God is waking you up, rather than natural biological processes?
I was agnostic until about 8 years ago. While unfortunate that I went about 25 years not being able to experience God’s love in my life, God has allowed the grace of discerning the difference since I have come to God : ) So, there are a number of factors. First, it is good advice to be seen by a Dr if you are unsure. Rule out any physiological reasons. If you drink caffeine all day and then have trouble sleeping at night, that’s an obvious message that God has created biologically that you might want to back off the caffeine. It may be of interest to see a sleep expert. If you have had this problem most of your life or since you have put on weight or something then there may be a sleep apnea problem causing a sleep disorder?

If there is no physiological problem, then pray… pray that the Holy Spirit come to you. Pray a rosary. Pray continuously. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what God desires for you in these waking moments. If you find that you keep thinking about something like your house work then maybe God is trying to tell you that you need to reprioritize to get done what He wants you to do. I have thought about doing laundry early in the morning before just to get it done…still praying about that : )

Perhaps He may just want to spend more time with you, so offer the time to Him with love and pray that you may be able to do all the things that you need to do and have peace of mind.
I don’t understand this. What do you mean the Holy Spirit keeps you awake?
I believe that the Holy Spirit is keeping me up because when I pray He reveals something to me. It may be that He wants me to do something or that He wants me to spend more time with him…way awesome, praise God!

I feel peace about it and am surprisingly awake the next day…totally never happened before I was a Christian. I feel like I should spend more time with Him through out the day although just the thought of being able to be with Him at night makes me want to stay up if He will allow it!
 
I would say my insomnia has perhaps negatively impacted by relationship with God, i.e. the devil has been modestly successful in tempting me during episodes. I think of Samuel being called by the Lord (cf. 1 Samuel 3:1-18), and have tried praying similarly, but God has never communicated with me during any period of sleeplessness except insofar as I chose to read from the Bible, the Catholic Encyclopedia, the Summa Theologica, etc. In other words, the apparent pointlessness of not being able to sleep, the apparent lack of interaction with God during these times, and the apparent lack of God’s help in returning to sleep or remaining asleep is positive evidence for atheism.

Of course I offer up this suffering as well, so only God knows the spiritual ‘net gain’ resulting from these problems.
Regarding temptation I recommend reconciliation, prayer such the daily rosary, and the Our Father as soon as you feel something negative temping you, and pray that you may not be put to the test. Know that Jesus is with you. You might even imagine that He is near by. Ask the Holy Spirit to come to you and give you the gift of fortitude in this time. “Fortitude” is special for you. I could list another number of great things to pray for grace, do not harden my heart, to be open to the Holy Spirit, but the best of all is of the Our Father, this day our daily bread, meaning Lord you know all the things that I need, please provide these. Although, if you are very well versed and enjoy litanies in the middle of the night, go for it!
 
Not every night has been heavenly and there are some nights that I have experienced pain. However, I always trust in the Lord that He is always with me. There have been many great experiences. My experience is somewhat different though…it reminds me of the Interior Castle, though I have not read much about it…probably should do that. The only reason I have not is that, I don’t believe in the dark night abandonment of the soul…God is always with us, even when we are not feeling His peace, He knows and is still there…He uses the time in a way that only He knows and we pray that He may do His will in us through grace…Lord knows I like to learn the easy way through grace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top