Relationships between Catholics and other Christian denominations

• Thread starter Thread starter Tannersimon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tannersimon

I have recently met a girl whom I’m crazy about and in love with. I have questions though as her religion is non-denominational. I’m wondering what the big differences are and if there may be problems we may run into through this. We have the same core beliefs and both have a very deep love for Christ which is part of the reason we are so close. I am concerned about our future and how we will be able to grow together. Also where our differences may lay and how to discuss them without offending her or her beliefs. I’m looking for someone to discuss this with me and help me talk about this that might have some experience or insight on the subject.

My wife and I left the Catholic church in the late 70’s. We were in non-denominational churches for around thirty years before returning to the Church. My personal opinion is that the core beliefs,if you will, are the same. Major differences for me were Marian doctrine, the Real Presence, and to some degree how Scripture is interpreted. None of these need fracture a relationship but they need to be looked at and discussed. My personal journey back was fueled by a study of Church history and reading the Church Fathers.

Such relationships can work. They also can be disastrous. It really depends on how devoted you are to the less popular Catholic teachings and how willing she is to respect them if you are. Teachings like premarital sex, artificial contraception, raising any children Catholic, etc.

If you are planning to follow the church’s teachings on such things, I’d recommend talking with her about them (at the appropriate time) to gauge her reaction. She might be okay with them. She might not be. At that point, if she isn’t okay with them, your decision boils down to choosing the church’s teachings over the girl or the girl over the church.

Last edited:
Non-denominational mean unnamed, which means her beliefs are probably not as strictly formed as yours are. She could literally believe anything, but in practice she follows the beliefs of the leaders of whatever nondenomination where she belongs. So talk to het and learn from her for the answers to your questions.

You should treat her with respect and dignity. She is not a heretic, or responsible for the beliefs of others in her community. If you disagree, listen to the Lord. Clarity and charity, humility and respect are always helpful.

Pope Paul VI’s encyclical Ecclesiam Suam gives good guidance for dialogue with others who have differing opinions. I am not sure you need that level of guidance, but I wanted to mention it.

I met a partner who is a non-believer, he was abused physically
and psychologically by his catholic parents, who also had a
drinking problem. He had a “little Faith” and admitted he needed
more Faith. I placed a framed picture of the BVM and a placque
with a pic of Jesus and his sacred heart with the blessing on
any house where this picture is exposed and honoured. He now
has some idea that God loves him limitlessly and that this love
is based on the Blood Covenant made by God and us thru the
sacrifice, death and Resurrection of His Son Jesus!!

I have questions though as her religion is non-denominational. I’m wondering what the big differences are and if there may be problems we may run into through this.
It’s difficult to know because non-denominational churches are by definition outside of any larger church organization. If, for example, her church was Assemblies of God or Presbyterian or Lutheran or Southern Baptist, etc. it would make it much easier for us to pin down what she believed.

But a non-denominational church is a “lone wolf” so to speak. It isn’t a member of any of these larger groups, and so it doesn’t have to adhere to any written confession or doctrinal statement.

Typically, however, when someone says they are a non-denominational Christian, I think of some form of evangelical (because most non-denoms are evangelical in their beliefs). They could be similar to Baptist without calling themselves Baptist or Pentecostal/charismatic without calling themselves Pentecostal/charismatic.

If the above is the case, then you two would probably agree on a lot of basic beliefs (Trinity, etc.) but there would be a lot of differences. If you’re thinking about marriage and future children, you will need to discuss issues such as birth control and what faith the children will be raised in.

Evangelical Christians generally believe abortion is a sin, but they are not as a rule against birth control when used by married couples. My understanding is that Catholic teaching is more restrictive on this, and that might not be something she is prepared to follow.

Also, my understanding is that Catholics have to baptize their children in the Catholic Church and raise them as Catholics. This would most likely be foreign to a non-denominational evangelical Christian. Most of these churches practice believers’ baptism and do not baptize infants. She may believe that a person should make their own decision to be baptized and join a church only after coming to true faith in Christ. And it might disturb her that she’s expected to automatically raise children in the Catholic faith rather than teach them her own church’s beliefs or at least expose the children to both parents’ churches.

Last edited:
Most likely the areas where you will disagree will be sources of authority in the Church, the Petrine office, apostolic succession, orders of ministry, sacraments, the nature of the Eucharist, and veneration/invocation of saints. I think those are the main ones.

Such relationships can be very successful. You have to respect each other’s beliefs and tolerate your differences. Be open and honest at all times. Good luck!

@Tannersimon I am in a similar situation brother, except my girlfriend and I have been together for over 3 years. When we started dating I was very wishy-washy in my faith, just going on Sunday out of a sense of ‘obligation’. I didn’t put much thought into the difference in our faits. Well fast forward, I have grown a lot in the faith and we’ve been having serious discussions about getting engaged/married. This has lead to some great ecumenical discussions, and also a fair share of tense discussions. One thing I’m grateful for in our relationship is that we ‘argue’ very effectively, so it’s all been constructive conversation.

Non-denominational, to me it is a pretty senseless term. It tells you nothing about what she believes, other than she’s a Christian. It’s kind of hard to have dialogue when you don’t know that. Personally for me, because I live in the Deep South in the United States, I might end up with a non-Catholic, but only if this woman understands that my children must be raised Catholic. Remember, the purpose of dating, is eventually to get married. I think we have lost a lot of that in our culture. I personally, would not be with anyone that objects to infant baptism. Because that’s going to be a major source of contention. Remember, non-denominational people can be all over the place. But I have yet to meet a non-denominational Protestant that actually supports infant baptism.

Typically, however, when someone says they are a non-denominational Christian, I think of some form of evangelical…
@Tannersimon

This post was a pretty decent rundown. I’m non-denominational and my wife is Catholic. We’ve been married over 15 years and have 3 kids.

The relationship is totally doable, I would say that you need to enter into the relationship with a mutual respect for each other’s faith background. If that can’t happen, the relationship will probably struggle.
Because that’s going to be a major source of contention.
Not necessarily.

Not necessarily.
I can’t imagine there being a compromise to a situation where one parent opposes infant baptism and other one does not… do you have any experience with that? This seems very interesting to me.

I can’t imagine there being a compromise to a situation where one parent opposes infant baptism and other one does not… do you have any experience with that?
Like I said in my post, I’m not Catholic…my wife and kids are.

Like I said in my post, I’m not Catholic…my wife and kids are.
Part you quoted was about infant baptism. So you are saying that you oppose infant baptism and your wife supports it, yet you found a way to a compromise? How if I may ask?

No offense intended, I am just genuinely curious what to recommend to people facing similar dilemma.

Part you quoted was about infant baptism. So you are saying that you oppose infant baptism and your wife supports it, yet you found a way to a compromise? How if I may ask?
Just because I don’t practice something doesn’t necessarily mean I’m opposed to it, or the practice effects me in a way I’m going to throw a fit over it.

All of our kids were baptized as infants. It wasn’t that big of deal.

All of our kids were baptized as infants. It wasn’t that big of deal.
I see. People who usually don’t practice infant baptism tend to oppose it (and that is the reason they don’t practice it- they view it as having no effect and therefore baby needing re-baptism and that is something Catholic can not allow)…

Anyway Adam said
I personally, would not be with anyone that objects to infant baptism. Because that’s going to be a major source of contention.
Objecting and not practicing are different things. I think someone objecting to infant baptism would not be very content to baptise their children. It is much different than not caring about it or not practicing it.

So I take it Adam’s point still stands. Thanks for clarification… I was kinda hoping there would be a resolution to that situation.

People who usually don’t practice infant baptism tend to oppose it
Which is what I was clearing up. It’s not necessarily going to be a major source of contention as many of us who don’t practice it aren’t necessarily objecting to it either.
Objecting and not practicing are different things.
Agreed, but they are often used synonomysly, especially here.

Either way, I really don’t feel like going down the semantics measuring contest.

Either way, I really don’t feel like going down the semantics measuring contest.
Yeah I apologize if that seemed that way. I was simply under impression that there is a way to resolve that or something…

But you are right. I guess that in true sense of word, if someone indeed does “object” to infant baptism, it brings problems in relationship with Catholics. If someone is indifferent, that’s fine.

If one truly objects to the other’s faith background, odds are they’re going to have bigger issues. That’s what I’ve always said anyway.

Which is what I was clearing up. It’s not necessarily going to be a major source of contention as many of us who don’t practice it aren’t necessarily objecting to it either.
TC help me understand please-

Are you speaking only of those denominations that accept infant baptism as valid? Wouldn’t those that do not accept infant baptism be the definition of “opposed” to it? In all sincerity, what am i missing?

Peace!!!

Are you speaking only of those denominations that accept infant baptism as valid? Wouldn’t those that do not accept infant baptism be the definition of “opposed” to it? In all sincerity, what am i missing?
I think people are talking past each other. As a Pentecostal, I do not believe that infant baptism is a real baptism in the biblical sense. However, that doesn’t mean I get angry about the practice. It has no effect anyway, so why would I get offended by it? I don’t believe in it, but that doesn’t mean its dangerous or harmful in any way.

That doesn’t mean all people feel the same way, but there are Protestants who don’t believe in infant baptism and at the same time don’t make a big deal out of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back