Relationships between Catholics and other Christian denominations

• Thread starter Thread starter Tannersimon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has no effect anyway, so why would I get offended by it? I don’t believe in it, but that doesn’t mean its dangerous or harmful in any way.
What I am mostly saying is that, as a Pentecostal, you would want to have your child validly baptized with having effect. That means either not baptizing him as a baby or baptizing him later on. Both are not compatible with Catholic faith. Re-baptism is something we just don’t do per Nicene Creed. It’s not really about someone making deal out of infant baptism, but about someone wanting to do non-infant baptism.

It has no effect anyway, so why would I get offended by it?
Respectfully I do understand your viewpoint. Now try looking at it from the other side. The side that says “it does have effect”. If this is not opposition or objection what is it?

Peace!!!

What I am mostly saying is that, as a Pentecostal, you would want to have your child validly baptized with having effect.
Or I could choose to think of the infant baptism as a dedication of the child.
That means either not baptizing him as a baby or baptizing him later on.
I wouldn’t be responsible for baptizing him/her later on. If the child grew up and wanted to become Pentecostal or Baptist and wanted a believer’s baptism, then that would be their choice.
Respectfully I do understand your viewpoint. Now try looking at it from the other side. The side that says “it does have effect”. If this is not opposition or objection what is it?
It’s indifference. It’s a “I wouldn’t normally do this for my child, but since its important to you and not offensive to me I’m ok with it” kind of thing.

To me, opposition or objection would require an actual objection, a request or command to not do the thing I was opposed to. If I don’t object because I see it as harmless and allow the other parent to go forward with an infant baptism, how is that objecting or opposing?

In a perfect world, both parents would belong to the same church and believe the same thing about baptism, but we’re discussing religiously mixed couples. The non-Catholic partner still has a right to their belief, and sometimes the best your gonna get is a “I’m ok with that because it can’t hurt anyway.”

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be responsible for baptizing him/her later on. If the child grew up and wanted to become Pentecostal or Baptist and wanted a believer’s baptism, then that would be their choice.
Oh I see. I haven’t thought of it that way. That’s nice. I thought that believer’s baptism would be offered to children above age of reason, so I was pretty sure it is somewhat about family. But then again that’s all fine now.

Oh I see. I haven’t thought of it that way. That’s nice. I thought that believer’s baptism would be offered to children above age of reason, so I was pretty sure it is somewhat about family. But then again that’s all fine now.
I mean it can be like that. Sometimes baptism is treated similar to a coming of age rite where you profess the faith for yourself, but baptism doesn’t determine if you’re born again. It’s much more important to have a conversion experience and personally place your faith in Christ.

Obviously, you get people baptized for the wrong reasons at times, and sometimes its just because there parents expect it. But the ideal is that someone comes to Christ through faith, professes this publicly and then is baptized. The baptism is important, but its secondary to having a vibrant, personal faith in Christ.

But obviously, its gonna depend on the person in question and the church they go to. That’s why its important to talk about these things before they ever happen, so both people are realistic about the possibility of being successful in a relationship.

Last edited:
Obviously, you get people baptized for the wrong reasons at times, and sometimes its just because there parents expect it.
That happens in Catholicism too… part about promising to raise child to-be-baptized in the faith is often ignored.

TC help me understand please-

Are you speaking only of those denominations that accept infant baptism as valid? Wouldn’t those that do not accept infant baptism be the definition of “opposed” to it? In all sincerity, what am i missing?

Peace!!!
Appologies, I jumped off-line last night hadn’t logged in until now. @ltwin pretty much hit the nail on the head. I don’t object to it…if someone came if to me and asked what I’d do for my kid I’d probably say “It’s not what I’d do, but honestly it’s not that big of deal” It’s definitely not a hill I’m going to die on.

And like was said, if my kids grow up and decide they want a believers baptism at that point it’ll be their choice, I’d say you don’t need it, but still at that point it’d be their choice. Personally, I would expect that to be once their grown and out of the house.

Normally, I’d say a believers baptism is going to happen in that 13-16 year old range anyway (for families that attend said churches where that is their belief). I was 19.

Last edited:

If you are planning to follow the church’s teachings on such things, I’d recommend talking with her about them (at the appropriate time) to gauge her reaction. She might be okay with them. She might not be. At that point, if she isn’t okay with them, your decision boils down to choosing the church’s teachings over the girl or the girl over the church.
Very good point. Couldn’t help it, but reading that last sentence brought Adam and Eve to mind. Adam chose the “girl” over God. And, not to let Eve off the hook, she chose the devil over God.

Last edited:
Very good point. Couldn’t help it, but reading that last sentence brought Adam and Eve to mind. Adam chose the “girl” over God. And, not to let Eve off the hook, she chose the devil over God.
I really…really hope you’re not somehow insinuating that Catholics who marry us non-Catholics are somehow choosing the person over God.

40.png
JGD:
I really…really hope you’re not somehow insinuating that Catholics who marry us non-Catholics are somehow choosing the person over God.
If you read the post I was responding to, you’ll see the choice having to be made was not based on denomination, but whether the possible future spouse would refuse to accept Catholic teaching in situations that required the cooperation of both parties. (Consider that we’d consider Adam and Eve as being equivalently the same “denomination”!)

The poster I was responding to gave “premarital sex, artificial contraception, raising any children Catholic, etc.” as examples. Thus, the choice is based on whether one would agree to live in a state of sin or not. Denomination is not the issue; it could occur between 2 Catholics also - where one would insist on dissenting from the Church’s teaching on these issues.

Last edited:
I don’t understand? What question? I thought I just explained that Catholic or non-Catholic wasn’t a factor in my response. There have been Catholics married to non-Catholics who agreed to raising their children in the Catholic faith. And, there have been Catholics choosing to marry Catholics where one of them insisted on use of contraceptive practices.

For a Catholic, disobeying Catholic moral laws/teaching (eg. those regarding premarital sex, artificial contraception, raising any children Catholic, abortion…) is a sin. Thus to knowingly choose a life situation requiring disobedience to those teachings is to agree to live in a state of sin.

Last edited:
OK, I’ll go with it…but that isn’t the way I read it.

No biggie.

Itwin covered it well (see below). I think if you ask the pastor questions like “Do you consider yourself Evangelical?” you’ll get a better idea of the church.
40.png
Tannersimon:
I have questions though as her religion is non-denominational. I’m wondering what the big differences are and if there may be problems we may run into through this.
It’s difficult to know because non-denominational churches are by definition outside of any larger church organization. If, for example, her church was Assemblies of God or Presbyterian or Lutheran or Southern Baptist, etc. it would make it much easier for us to pin down what she believed.

But a non-denominational church is a “lone wolf” so to speak. It isn’t a member of any of these larger groups, and so it doesn’t have to adhere to any written confession or doctrinal statement.

Typically, however, when someone says they are a non-denominational Christian, I think of some form of evangelical (because most non-denoms are evangelical in their beliefs). They could be similar to Baptist without calling themselves Baptist or Pentecostal/charismatic without calling themselves Pentecostal/charismatic.

If the above is the case, then you two would probably agree on a lot of basic beliefs (Trinity, etc.) but there would be a lot of differences. If you’re thinking about marriage and future children, you will need to discuss issues such as birth control and what faith the children will be raised in.

Evangelical Christians generally believe abortion is a sin, but they are not as a rule against birth control when used by married couples. My understanding is that Catholic teaching is more restrictive on this, and that might not be something she is prepared to follow.

Also, my understanding is that Catholics have to baptize their children in the Catholic Church and raise them as Catholics. This would most likely be foreign to a non-denominational evangelical Christian. Most of these churches practice believers’ baptism and do not baptize infants. She may believe that a person should make their own decision to be baptized and join a church only after coming to true faith in Christ. And it might disturb her that she’s expected to automatically raise children in the Catholic faith rather than teach them her own church’s beliefs or at least expose the children to both parents’ churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back