OK Dave.
Here is something to work on with your scholar pals.
Luke identifies the High Priest whom Paul insulted in the Second Temple as Ananias. This was during the Pentecost of A.D. 58. No scholar will dispute this.
According to Josephus, who worked in the Second Temple during that period as a priest, the High Priest was Ismael.
Error.
Game, set, match.
Not so fast, partner…I have to get to bed because I’m up at 4:00 am tomorrow to drive up to Wausau for my older two daughters’ confirmation. But I looked into this a little bit.
Notice how in the
List of High Priests in Wikipedia there are a number of high priests listed between AD 47 - 59.
But when one looks at the entry for
Ananias son of Nebedaios his time as high priest is listed as AD 47-59.
I’m not holding out Wikipedia as the end-all scholarly source by any means, but there’s a clue here that there’s something else going on there. Noted NT scholar Joachim Jeremias gives us a solid notion as to what that is:
There were in the first century AD two groups of high priestly families, one legitimate and one illegitimate. The legitimate group comprised simply and solely the Zadokites serving in the Temple of Onias at Leontopolis and the families descended from this ruling line. The illegitimate were the priestly families from the midst of whom one or more members had been raised to the highest spiritual dignity by variable winds of chance and politics since 37 BC, since the Hasmoneans who formed a group between these two and had held the high priesthood for more than a century, though descended from an ordinary priestly family, were finally exterminated (
Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus, p. 192).
Two groups of high priests, legitimate and illegitimate, would account for some sources speaking of multiple high priests over the period of AD 47-59 (illegitimate contenders), versus other sources indicating that there was only one high priest (the legitimate one.) For his part, Josephus was notorious for going with whatever the Romans happened to support and they supported whatever kept the relative peace in Israel.
I have not referenced all my available sources on this and it will have to wait until early next week, but I believe here is the answer to your challenge. I’m confident that St. Luke will, as always, be vindicated on his historical accuracy.
Have a good weekend and God be with you.