I like how you go to the root of the word “religion” to make the point about both being necessary.
I think we’ve gotten to this point simply because many people have a negative view of “organized religion”, and yet they cannot deny the attraction they feel towards spiritual things…
…Fundamentally, I think such people are just not thinking through what religion actually is all about, at least when it comes to Christianity.
Yes! (And thank you all, by the way, for the kind words.)
But, yes, I think this is the key. Folks in our day seem to be in a habit of one-liners and tend to say and profess things without thinking through what they are really saying. That’s why I hit on “religion” and what it really means…so they can understand what they are really saying in renouncing it.
I feel like it can then move to the “what”, so to speak, of what they disagree with in terms of organized religion, and from there it’s a matter of pointing out the facts and asking questions that directly go to the heart of their professed relationship with Christ. For example:
-“I don’t want to be told how to worship.” - Well, Christ told us how to worship in the Lord’s Supper. Do you think we shouldn’t worship the way Christ wants us to?
-“I don’t like the idea of having to belong to this or that certain church.” - Well, Christ clearly established a Church, and it had obvious visibility, heirarchy, sucession, etc… Don’t you think it’s important to belong to the Church He established? Don’t we owe it to Christ to seek out that Church which He established and join it?
-“I don’t think anyone, or church, should be able to require me to confess to a Priest.” - Well, Christ gave His Apostles authority to forgive, and even retain our sins, and Scripture shows us pretty clearly that God set up auricular confession for us…and Scripture even tells us plainly to confess to each other. Don’t you think we should do things the way God planned it for us, if we are going to claim a deep relationship with Him? Or is it okay to reject what He gave us, and still claim realationship with Him?