Religion or Survival?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maher
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maher

Guest
Is Atheism, along with homophobia, racism, misogyny, sexism and violence, condoned in the religious quantum? Frankly, I do not respect those with religious affiliations. However, I am intrigued as to why they put their faith into such a hyperboloidal fictionalised, fairy-tale - The Bible.

The Bible is made-up. I.e. It is a work of ultimate fiction. God lived in a fish? Eve was born from Adam’s rib? Moses talked to a burning bush? I mean, come on! This is beyond fiction. It is ludicrously hilarious. There is more substance in, Jack and The Beanstalk.

Those who believe in the Bible and follow the words of the Bible, are homophobic, misogynistic, racist and sexist, with an acceptance of violence. Are you happy with this?

Lastly, and more to the point. Religion is the sole reason planet Earth will die. We are destroying Earth in the name of religion!

It’s disturbing!
 
Welcome to the forums. May I suggest you familiarize yourself with the forum rules? Non-Catholics are very welcome here as long as they show respect for the host (Catholic Answers).

There are many issues in your post that could result in good discussion but if you want to last a bit longer, you might want to rephrase them to be less hostile sounding. Good luck.
 
Those who believe in the Bible and follow the words of the Bible, are homophobic, misogynistic, racist and sexist, with an acceptance of violence. Are you happy with this?
I follow the Bible and I despise racism. I’m also all for gender equality. As for homosexuality, I have no problem with the people, but their sexual conduct is wrong according to my moral principles.

As for violence, for the most part it is unwelcome but in some rare cases it is necessary to prevent greater evils.

I’m not happy that some Christians are nasty, but they sure as anything did not get their hate from the Bible.
 
I follow the Bible and I despise racism. I’m also all for gender equality. As for homosexuality, I have no problem with the people, but their sexual conduct is wrong according to my moral principles.

As for violence, for the most part it is unwelcome but in some rare cases it is necessary to prevent greater evils.

I’m not happy that some Christians are nasty, but they sure as anything did not get their hate from the Bible.
So you’re saying homosexuality is unethical? Can you explain this?

Furthermore, why is homosexuality wrong, in your opinion?

ETA: Does it disappoint you that the book you follow condones homophobia, misogyny/sexism?
 
So you’re saying homosexuality is unethical? Can you explain this?

Furthermore, why is homosexuality wrong, in your opinion?
According to our faith, same sex attraction is ‘‘disordered’’, however we recognise that it is not a choice. Those who have homosexual attractions have a heavy cross to bear, they are not ‘‘wrong’’, but homosexual activity, as with all sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong. Like all Christians they are called to live chaste lives.
 
According to our faith, same sex attraction is ‘‘disordered’’, however we recognise that it is not a choice. Those who have homosexual attractions have a heavy cross to bear, they are not ‘‘wrong’’, but homosexual activity, as with all sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong. Like all Christians they are called to live chaste lives.
I realise you have disordered in inverted commas, but what do you mean by that?

Is it “Ok” and “acceptable” for homosexual activity to be conducted after marriage/civil partnership?
 
I realise you have disordered in inverted commas, but what do you mean by that?

Is it “Ok” and “acceptable” for homosexual activity to be conducted after marriage/civil partnership?
We do not believe that it is possible for a homosexual marriage to take place, so no. To us, it is an impossibility. As I said, homosexuals have a tremendous cross to bear.

Disordered, the best way I can explain it is that it is against the natural order of things.

By the way I almost forgot, welcome to the forum.
 
Welcome to the forums. May I suggest you familiarize yourself with the forum rules? Non-Catholics are very welcome here as long as they show respect for the host (Catholic Answers).

There are many issues in your post that could result in good discussion but if you want to last a bit longer, you might want to rephrase them to be less hostile sounding. Good luck.
On reflection of my post, I would like to apologise. It does appear in hostility, but I just believe religion is a massive “problem”. I realise it brings comfort to some, but in most cases it incites violence and war. I don’t believe religion and planet Earth can coexist for much longer, all because of what religion incites.

I find it sad.
 
We do not believe that it is possible

Disordered, the best way I can explain it is that it is against the natural order of things.
It is not against the natural order of things, at all. Unless of course, you do not believe in evolution? Do you believe in Adam and Eve? Evolution is as good as fact. Why (I mean this with respect) d you believe the Adam and Eve fable over Evolution, considering evolution is backed up by an enormous amount of evidence?
By the way I almost forgot, welcome to the forum.
Thank you.
 
It is not against the natural order of things, at all. Unless of course, you do not believe in evolution? Do you believe in Adam and Eve? Evolution is as good as fact. Why (I mean this with respect) d you believe the Adam and Eve fable over Evolution, considering evolution is backed up by an enormous amount of evidence?
You assume I do not believe in evolution? I think you may have the Catholics confused with the evangelicals who take the scripture as their science book. Catholics are allowed to believe in evolution. Though here at university I must admit during the genetics modules I’m taking it would be a lot easier if I could just write ‘‘God done it-see Genesis’’ whenever a tough question comes up.

The issue here is that you see an order rooted in natural selection, whereas we see one that lies beyond it.
 
You assume I do not believe in evolution? I think you may have the Catholics confused with the evangelicals who take the scripture as their science book. Catholics are allowed to believe in evolution. Though here at university I must admit during the genetics modules I’m taking it would be a lot easier if I could just write ‘‘God done it-see Genesis’’ whenever a tough question comes up.

The issue here is that you see an order rooted in natural selection, whereas we see one that lies beyond it.
You see Creationism/ID?

So, God created homosexuality as a part of nature? Why would he do that when the Bible is against it?
 
You see Creationism/ID?
Eh?
So, God created homosexuality as a part of nature? Why would he do that when the Bible is against it?
Who am I to question the will of God? I do not know why God created the conditions or gave human minds the ability to become homosexual. But from scripture and Church teachings I also know what it is that someone suffering the burden of homosexuality must do in order to live their lives in accordance with the Faith. That said they are under no obligation to remain within the Faith.
 
God is behind evolution? He is the source of its mechanics? Is this what you believe?
Who am I to question the will of God? I do not know why God created the conditions or gave human minds the ability to become homosexual. But from scripture and Church teachings I also know what it is that someone suffering the burden of homosexuality must do in order to live their lives in accordance with the Faith. That said they are under no obligation to remain within the Faith.
Have you ever considered that homosexuality and evolution is not a paradox? Homosexuality positively influences evolution.

I also find it highly ironic that homosexuality prevails in relatively high numbers within the Christian faith, but that’s another matter.
 
God is behind evolution? He is the source of its mechanics? Is this what you believe?
I believe God is the driving force behind all of nature, evolution included.
Have you ever considered that homosexuality and evolution is not a paradox? Homosexuality positively influences evolution.

I also find it highly ironic that homosexuality prevails in relatively high numbers within the Christian faith, but that’s another matter.
Genocide under Hitler of the mentally retarded could also have been seen to positively influence evolution. It does not make it right. As Christians we are concerned with more than the mere Eartly survival of the species (important though that may be).

Homosexuality may occur in high numbers however it is then that individual Christians choice: to remain a Christian or abandon the faith and worship the flesh.
 
Genocide under Hitler of the mentally retarded could also have been seen to positively influence evolution. It does not make it right. As Christians we are concerned with more than the mere Eartly survival of the species (important though that may be).
Evolution by natural selection. Why God would contradict himself so much, is beyond me. He is vehemently opposed to it in the Bible, yet he is the designer of it; he is behind its growth and existence today?

Yet, the best answer you can fathom, is that you do not know God’s reasoning behind this?

Why has the Bible changed so much over the years? Is it a coincidence that the Bible is uncannily similar to many other precedents before its “publication”?

The Bible is steeped in inaccuracies, contradiction and fairy-tale-like fables (no disrespect). You are an intelligent person, I’m sure, so why not look at the facts and distinguish between fact and fiction?

Early night for me. Once again, I apologise for the hostile attitude in my original post and will amend it accordingly.
 
Yet, the best answer you can fathom, is that you do not know God’s reasoning behind this?
I’m sorry, I’m fairly new to actually debating religion, you’ll have to bear with me.

God created all life. Sin enters the world through various avenues. One of those sins is lust and one of the ways it manifests is in homosexual desire. God has given us free will so a homosexual who believes in God will refrain from sexual relationships.
Why has the Bible changed so much over the years? Is it a coincidence that the Bible is uncannily similar to many other precedents before its “publication”?
Source for this information? Or could you at least elaborate upon it a little?
The Bible is steeped in inaccuracies, contradiction and fairy-tale-like fables (no disrespect). You are an intelligent person, I’m sure, so why not look at the facts and distinguish between fact and fiction?
None taken, though the author might have a few words to say about it all 😃

I believe in something that is beyond physical limitations. That ‘‘something’’ is God and I do not believe Him to be a cosmic bystander, I believe He has taken an active role in guiding His Creation.

I have to ask, and I mean no offence here, was the purpose of this thread just to debate Catholicism and homosexuality from a scientific or atheistic point of view? If so the thread title is a little misleading.
 
Is Atheism, along with homophobia, racism, misogyny, sexism and violence, condoned in the religious quantum? Frankly, I do not respect those with religious affiliations. However, I am intrigued as to why they put their faith into such a hyperboloidal fictionalised, fairy-tale - The Bible.

The Bible is made-up. I.e. It is a work of ultimate fiction. God lived in a fish? Eve was born from Adam’s rib? Moses talked to a burning bush? I mean, come on! This is beyond fiction. It is ludicrously hilarious. There is more substance in, Jack and The Beanstalk.

Those who believe in the Bible and follow the words of the Bible, are homophobic, misogynistic, racist and sexist, with an acceptance of violence. Are you happy with this?

Lastly, and more to the point. Religion is the sole reason planet Earth will die. We are destroying Earth in the name of religion!

It’s disturbing!
this is funny! you coming here accusing us of violence in all.

your post is in itself a violence and more toward us religious as you call. your post in it itself is an invitation for violence and retaliation towards you.

as you can see you started the whole thing, we didnt.

:knight1: :knight2:
 
this is funny! you coming here accusing us of violence in all.

your post is in itself a violence and more toward us religious as you call. your post in it itself is an invitation for violence and retaliation towards you.

as you can see you started the whole thing, we didnt.

:knight1: :knight2:
Come on now he’s already after apologising for that twice, thats more humility than most around here would show.
 
I’d like to know where all this anger comes from. Your profile says you’re 19. Have you recently rejected your faith? Happens a lot to people in their teens, including to a lot of people here who have since come back to faith (I’m one).

I think it would be best for you and for us if you would focus on the single core issue you have, instead of throwing buckets of stuff on the walls to see what sticks.

So, what’s your single core issue? Or maybe I should ask, in light of your posts, what is your single core fear?
 
Is Atheism, along with homophobia, racism, misogyny, sexism and violence, condoned in the religious quantum? Frankly, I do not respect those with religious affiliations. However, I am intrigued as to why they put their faith into such a hyperboloidal fictionalised, fairy-tale - The Bible.

The Bible is made-up. I.e. It is a work of ultimate fiction. God lived in a fish? Eve was born from Adam’s rib? Moses talked to a burning bush? I mean, come on! This is beyond fiction. It is ludicrously hilarious. There is more substance in, Jack and The Beanstalk.

Those who believe in the Bible and follow the words of the Bible, are homophobic, misogynistic, racist and sexist, with an acceptance of violence. Are you happy with this?

Lastly, and more to the point. Religion is the sole reason planet Earth will die. We are destroying Earth in the name of religion!

It’s disturbing!
do you have a better explanation for our existence? if so let us know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top