Religious leaders call for global ban on so-called gay conversion therapies

Status
Not open for further replies.

signit

article
London (CNN) Hundreds of religious leaders have joined forces to push for a global ban on gay conversion therapies, treatments that claim to be able to change a person’s sexual orientation or identity.

More than 370 figures from the world’s main religions have signed the declaration, which also calls for an end to violence against and the criminalization of LGBT+ people, according to a press release published Wednesday.
link to statement (scroll down)

link to video of statement

Last edited:
It would be nice to see the Bishops comment on this.

I know that most would be opposed to Conversion Therapy or any therapeutic aims to change a sexual orientation.

There are hundreds of priests who are also licensed mental health providers and none of them would engage in such efforts as attempting to change someone’s orientation is forbidden in all mental health licensing bodies in the US and Canada.

Any therapist who even knows of another therapist attempting to do so is obligated to report them to their licensing bodies.

I know that most would be opposed to Conversion Therapy or any therapeutic aims to change a sexual orientation.

There are hundreds of priests who are also licensed mental health providers and none of them would engage in such efforts as attempting to change someone’s orientation is forbidden in all mental health licensing bodies in the US and Canada.

Any therapist who even knows of another therapist attempting to do so is obligated to report them to their licensing bodies.
I don’t support conversion therapy for minors either, but in the U.S., while it’s opposed by professional organizations, it’s only actually banned in some states.

Well since it’s banned by all licensing bodies who is doing this “therapy”?

Is it para-professionals or pastors or what? No one licensed to practice is doing it.

And Conversion Therapy or any attempt to change orientation is banned for minors and adults by all licensing bodies.

Last edited:
The Church’s reaction as been mixed (and that is being charitable). The Pope has reportedly expressed concerns about the practice privately, but I don’t think he has made a public statement. Some local bishops have actively supported the practice, while others have fought against its ban.

Anyone that thinks they should support this practice should do some research into the methodologies involved. To call them barbaric would be a gross understatement.

48.png
Feanor2:
The Church’s reaction as been mixed (and that is being charitable). The Pope has reportedly expressed concerns about the practice privately, but I don’t think he has made a public statement. Some local bishops have actively supported the practice, while others have fought against its ban.
That’s disheartening. I didn’t know that. I thought they were smarter than that.

Is it para-professionals or pastors or what? No one licensed to practice is doing it.

And Conversion Therapy or any attempt to change orientation is banned for minors and adults by all licensing bodies.
I think it is para-professionals. In some cases religious groups are doing it and trying to evade licensing issues that way. In other cases licensed professionals have been accused of continuing the practice but disguising it as something else in their records to avoid oversight.

48.png
Feanor2:

I think it is para-professionals. In some cases religious groups are doing it and trying to evade licensing issues that way. In other cases licensed professionals have been accused of continuing the practice but disguising it as something else in their records to avoid oversight.
The whole thing is disturbing especially that licensed professionals would be deceitful. It’s a matter of professional ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back