Religious Order Rites

• Thread starter Thread starter Trevelyan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevelyan

Are the Religious order ‘Rites’ (I believe they are technically not seperate Rites) still practiced? (Dominican, Carthusian etc…) 🙂

The Nobertines at St. Michael’s Abbey still celebrate the Premonstratensian(Nobertine) Rite, only sine populo(without people).

40.png
Trevelyan:
Are the Religious order ‘Rites’ (I believe they are technically not seperate Rites) still practiced? (Dominican, Carthusian etc…) 🙂
Within the Latin Church, the **Dominicans, Carmelites and Carthusians **still celebrate the Mass acccording the rites of their specific orders. These rites predate the Latin Rite, and were therefore allowed to remain in use.

40.png
Crusader:
Within the Latin Church, the **Dominicans, Carmelites and Carthusians **still celebrate the Mass acccording the rites of their specific orders. These rites predate the Latin Rite, and were therefore allowed to remain in use.
I don’t know about the Carthusians but most Dominicans and Carmelites abandoned their traditional Rites for the Novus Ordo Missae. There is an order that celebrates the traditional Dominican Rite (the Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer, in France), but they are not part of the Order of Preachers. I know of one tiny traditional Carmelite community in Montana.

The Cistercians also for the most part abandoned their traditional Rite.

Indeed, the Carmelites abandoned their traditional Jerusalem rite within the lifetime of St. John of the Cross, and he was not happy about it.

40.png
dcs:
There is an order that celebrates the traditional Dominican Rite (the Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer, in France), but they are not part of the Order of Preachers.
Although the Fraternity is not part of the Dominicans, it follows the apostolic ideals of Dominic and has applied to become affiliated to the Order of Preachers. It is solely because of its following of the ideals of Dominic that permission was accorded its members to use the Dominican “Rite”.

Many years,

Neil

40.png
Trevelyan:
Religious order ‘Rites’ (I believe they are technically not seperate Rites)
Trevelyan,

Technically, they are still called “Rites”. But, you’re on the ‘rite’ track 😃 . If the term “Usage”, as we now know it, had been in use back when they were first instituted, it would have been applicable to them and been more appropriate in most instances.

Many years,

Neil

The Dominican Rite is still celebrated by the Dominican order. They did not give it up during Vatican II. It is a beautiful mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back