remarrying

  • Thread starter Thread starter phlynne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re missing the point of my question. If marrying after the death of a spouse is universally a teaching of the Catholic Church, why even address the situation as formally as they address it in the formation program.

Do you have a reference to the CCC as I requested showing where the teaching is that a widow/widower cannot remarry in the Catholic Church?
I didn’t misunderstand you; I was simply explaining that the church does not allow a man who has been ordained to marry/remarry. They address that to deacon candidates because many are not aware of that fact and the formation leaders want to make sure the candidates know exactly what will be expected of them.

I think you misunderstood me; I clearly stated that a widow/widower **CAN **remarry in the Church.
 
I didn’t misunderstand you; I was simply explaining that the church does not allow a man who has been ordained to marry/remarry. They address that to deacon candidates because many are not aware of that fact and the formation leaders want to make sure the candidates know exactly what will be expected of them.

I think you misunderstood me; I clearly stated that a widow/widower **CAN **remarry in the Church.
Apologies…I understand the ordained remarrying question, and I am in full agreement with it. It was the poster that said that a widow or widower can’t remarry that had me baffled.
 
Apologies…I understand the ordained remarrying question, and I am in full agreement with it. It was the poster that said that a widow or widower can’t remarry that had me baffled.
:hug1:
 
I’m curious as to why, in the permanent diaconate formation program that I’m in, my wife and I were both instructed, and had to actually sign our acceptance of the fact that, if my wife was to pre-decease me, and I was an ordained deacon, that I would not be allowed to remarry.

Seems like they wouldn’t have to make such a big deal over it if the rules of the Church were that no one can remarry after the death of a spouse.

I’m curious as to where in the Catechism of the Catholic Church it says that no one can remarry after the death of a spouse. (I don’t think it’s in there anywhere, but I could be mistaken…wouldn’t be the first time.)
Because as a deacon you cannot remarry because you will be as a permanent deacon. It is one of the committments you make by taking the Sacrament of Holy Orders. Your wife would be free to remarry should you die first.
 
Because as a deacon you cannot remarry because you will be as a permanent deacon. It is one of the committments you make by taking the Sacrament of Holy Orders. Your wife would be free to remarry should you die first.
I think that what Deacon2Be is saying is that there are special restrictions placed on deacons regarding remarriage. If it were the case for everyone that remarriage after being widowed was wrong, then they would not have to make any sort of deal of it for the deacons.
 
I think that what Deacon2Be is saying is that there are special restrictions placed on deacons regarding remarriage. If it were the case for everyone that remarriage after being widowed was wrong, then they would not have to make any sort of deal of it for the deacons.
Exactly. Thanks for clarifying my post.
 
The vows of the sacrament are until death. Once a spouse dies, there is no sin in remarrying. On the other hand, many widows and widowers cannot bring themselves to remarry, and there is certainly no sin in them choosing not to remarry.
You forget the words that come from the Gospel,and Jesus, had said it many times, that those that do remarry after their spouse dieds,are commiting Adultery. But IT,s ok to have freindship. I would read up on Adoltery.
 
You forget the words that come from the Gospel,and Jesus, had said it many times, that those that do remarry after their spouse dieds,are commiting Adultery. But IT,s ok to have freindship. I would read up on Adoltery.
No, the Gospels do not say this. You are incorrect.
 
You forget the words that come from the Gospel,and Jesus, had said it many times, that those that do remarry after their spouse dieds,are commiting Adultery. But IT,s ok to have freindship. I would read up on Adoltery.
Huh? The Gospels never say this. There are several points in the Gospels in which Jesus says that those who remarry after divorce are committing adultery – but we are not talking about divorce here! You might want to reread those passages of the Gospels because you are misremembering them.
 
You forget the words that come from the Gospel,and Jesus, had said it many times, that those that do remarry after their spouse dieds,are commiting Adultery. But IT,s ok to have freindship. I would read up on Adoltery.
Would you please give us the cites from the Bible so we may read it for ourselves?
 
johnthebaptist, you’re remembering it wrong. Jesus explained that remarrying after DIVORCE was inherently wrong, not after being widowed. Nowhere did he say that and at no time has the Church taught it.

It’s OK, I was wrong once too. :D:D
 
I’m curious as to why, in the permanent deaconed formation program that I’m in, my wife and I were both instructed, and had to actually sign our acceptance of the fact that, if my wife was to pre-decease me, and I was an ordained deacon, that I would not be allowed to remarry.

Seems like they wouldn’t have to make such a big deal over it if the rules of the Church were that no one can remarry after the death of a spouse.

I’m curious as to where in the Catechism of the Catholic Church it says that no one can remarry after the death of a spouse. (I don’t think it’s in there anywhere, but I could be mistaken…wouldn’t be the first time.)
Yes it does mention , to death do we Part,but when the priest reads the Gospel,he mentions,that in the eyes of God, we are still marreid to the one that departed,so if the other parter decidces to what to remarry, they in the eys of God ,he is wrong.
 
I’m curious as to why, in the permanent diaconate formation program that I’m in, my wife and I were both instructed, and had to actually sign our acceptance of the fact that, if my wife was to pre-decease me, and I was an ordained deacon, that I would not be allowed to remarry.

Seems like they wouldn’t have to make such a big deal over it if the rules of the Church were that no one can remarry after the death of a spouse.

I’m curious as to where in the Catechism of the Catholic Church it says that no one can remarry after the death of a spouse. (I don’t think it’s in there anywhere, but I could be mistaken…wouldn’t be the first time.)
I hate to tell you,but when the priest reads the Gospel,and talks about the live of Marry people,he does meantion Death to you Part,but he also medsons, that if the other party decides to marry, than in the eyes of God, he is doing wrong.
 
Yes it does mention , to death do we Part,but when the priest reads the Gospel,he mentions,that in the eyes of God, we are still marreid to the one that departed,so if the other parter decidces to what to remarry, they in the eys of God ,he is wrong.
If that were true, then widowed people would not be allowed to be married in the Church, and yet they are. Care to explain?
 
The vows of the sacrament are until death. Once a spouse dies, there is no sin in remarrying. On the other hand, many widows and widowers cannot bring themselves to remarry, and there is certainly no sin in them choosing not to remarry.
To all, Ihave seen marrage rings on people,after some of theirs past away,that OP leave it on, because they want to show others ,that they are still devoted tell the time comes to join the one he loves
 
To all, Ihave seen marrage rings on people,after some of theirs past away,that OP leave it on, because they want to show others ,that they are still devoted tell the time comes to join the one he loves
That’s a personal choice, but it doesn’t mean that they cannot remarry in the Church.
 
Would you please give us the cites from the Bible so we may read it for ourselves?
When I go to Mass this weekend ,I,ll fine out were the Priest read from what section of the Gospel he read to us durning Mass. Ok.
 
When I go to Mass this weekend ,I,ll fine out were the Priest read from what section of the Gospel he read to us durning Mass. Ok.
There IS no section of any of the Gospels - nor of any other part of scripture - that forbids remarriage after widowhood. None whatsoever. I’ve read it and have a good memory, trust me on this.

You might be thinking of the reference to how when we are in heaven we are like the angels ‘neither marrying nor giving in marriage’. Point being, someone who has had a spouse die is NOT yet in heaven. Marriage is still an option for them!

Please answer the very sensible question posed by one poster - how come the Church allows widows and widowers to remarry in the Church after the death of their spouses if doing so is in any way morally wrong? Unless you can provide a sensible answer to this question you must accept that remarriage upon widowhood is morally fine.
 
Yes it does mention , to death do we Part,but when the priest reads the Gospel,he mentions,that in the eyes of God, we are still marreid to the one that departed,so if the other parter decidces to what to remarry, they in the eys of God ,he is wrong.
Traditionally, Joseph was a widower prior to being married to Mary. The Church has not formally taken a position on the matter. However, if what you’ve stated above were true, the Church would have most definitely taken a position on the matter, because it would imply they were living in a sinful state.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top