Remembering a sin during Counsel/Act of Contrition

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jak123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jak123

Guest
Hello, I’m not sure if this is in the right category but I was hoping if someone could please help me answer this question.

I went to confession today and I thought I had confessed everything, but as I was receiving counsel from the priest I was told to listen during Mass, which had reminded me that I sometimes do not pay as much attention as I should. I am unsure if this would be venial or mortal. Would I still be able to receive the Eucharist tomorrow? I am scrupulous and would appreciate any help, thank you!
 
Welcome!

Scrupulous? This will plague you for the rest of your life unless you fight it. Are you taking steps to combat it? I certainly hope so, as God greatly desires that your heart be filled with joy and Christ wants you to have His peace.

Did you willfully turn against God, actively and consciously reject God in favor of yourself? Were you even aware that your attention had drifted? Sin must be consciously done. You have to know and decide to sin.

I didn’t think so. How can it be mortal? It might not even be a sin!

If you can be reassured - and scruples often prevent this - simply ask father before the next mass. You are absolved of confessed sins and we also say “for those sins which I have forgotten” - right?

Just ask father.
 
Welcome!

Scrupulous? This will plague you for the rest of your life unless you fight it. Are you taking steps to combat it? I certainly hope so, as God greatly desires that your heart be filled with joy and Christ wants you to have His peace .

Did you willfully turn against God, actively and consciously reject God in favor of yourself? Were you even aware that your attention had drifted? Sin must be consciously done. You have to know and decide to sin.

I didn’t think so. How can it be mortal? It might not even be a sin!

If you can be reassured - and scruples often prevent this - simply ask father before the next mass. You are absolved of confessed sins and we also say “for those sins which I have forgotten” - right?

Just ask father.
Thank you! 🙂
And yes, I will be meeting someone on Monday to take steps to help control it. Thank you for answering my question, I greatly appreciate it
 
It’s not a mortal sin to not pay attention at mass sometimes. You are fine and maybe being slightly scrupulous. If you ever remember a mortal sin before you recieve absolution you can always bring it up, but if you are unable I think the absolution would still be valid
 
Believe it or not, scruples are part of anxiety and OCD. Yet, the solution is therapy that is drug-free! It is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Cathoic counselor Dr. Gregory Popcak practices it.

Prayers for you in your struggle!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top