Remembering Sins in Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matariel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matariel

Guest
Hello, I was wondering what one does when, in confession, one cannot remember the exact number of times a sin was committed… I feel horrible because I can’t remember the exact number. Do you give a general guess or approximation? Does this hinder the Sacrament from taking place or your sins being forgiven?

Thanks for any help. 😦
 
Hello, I was wondering what one does when, in confession, one cannot remember the exact number of times a sin was committed… I feel horrible because I can’t remember the exact number. Do you give a general guess or approximation? Does this hinder the Sacrament from taking place or your sins being forgiven?

Thanks for any help. 😦
Only Mortal sins need to be confessed.

Though it is good to confess at least some venial sins…

Only mortal sins need to be confessed in number.

And if one can not recall how many…one can do what one can …and even approximates them (tell the priest this is what you are doing)

And all is well.

Now if you remember later that you killed 10 people instead of just 5 …you can say it in the next confession. (that the number was actually 10…)

It is when you deliberately withhold…hide…your mortal sins …you know you killed 10 and deliberately say 5 to make it look better…than it is invalid and a sacriledge.

From the Catechism:

The confession of sins

1455 The confession (or disclosure) of sins, even from a simply human point of view, frees us and facilitates our reconciliation with others. Through such an admission man looks squarely at the sins he is guilty of, takes responsibility for them, and thereby opens himself again to God and to the communion of the Church in order to make a new future possible.

1456 Confession to a priest is an essential part of the sacrament of Penance: "All mortal sins of which penitents after a diligent self-examination are conscious must be recounted by them in confession, even if they are most secret and have been committed against the last two precepts of the Decalogue; for these sins sometimes wound the soul more grievously and are more dangerous than those which are committed openly."54
Code:
When Christ's faithful strive to confess all the sins that they can remember, they undoubtedly place all of them before the divine mercy for pardon. But those who fail to do so and knowingly withhold some, place nothing before the divine goodness for remission through the mediation of the priest, "for if the sick person is too ashamed to show his wound to the doctor, the medicine cannot heal what it does not know."55
1457 According to the Church’s command, "after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year."56 Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession.57 Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.58

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.59 Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful:60
Code:
Whoever confesses his sins . . . is already working with God. God indicts your sins; if you also indict them, you are joined with God. Man and sinner are, so to speak, two realities: when you hear "man" - this is what God has made; when you hear "sinner" - this is what man himself has made. Destroy what you have made, so that God may save what he has made. . . . When you begin to abhor what you have made, it is then that your good works are beginning, since you are accusing yourself of your evil works. The beginning of good works is the confession of evil works. You do the truth and come to the light.61
vatican.va/archive/catechism/p2s2c2a4.htm#VII

of course those with scruples…be careful of your scruples here…!
 
Only Mortal sins need to be confessed.

Though it is good to confess at least some venial sins…

Only mortal sins need to be confessed in number.

And if one can not recall how many…one can do what one can …and even approximates them (tell the priest this is what you are doing)

And all is well.

Now if you remember later that you killed 10 people instead of just 5 …you can say it in the next confession. (that the number was actually 10…)

It is when you deliberately withhold…hide…your mortal sins …you know you killed 10 and deliberately say 5 to make it look better…than it is invalid and a sacriledge.

From the Catechism:

The confession of sins

1455 The confession (or disclosure) of sins, even from a simply human point of view, frees us and facilitates our reconciliation with others. Through such an admission man looks squarely at the sins he is guilty of, takes responsibility for them, and thereby opens himself again to God and to the communion of the Church in order to make a new future possible.

1456 Confession to a priest is an essential part of the sacrament of Penance: "All mortal sins of which penitents after a diligent self-examination are conscious must be recounted by them in confession, even if they are most secret and have been committed against the last two precepts of the Decalogue; for these sins sometimes wound the soul more grievously and are more dangerous than those which are committed openly."54
Code:
When Christ's faithful strive to confess all the sins that they can remember, they undoubtedly place all of them before the divine mercy for pardon. But those who fail to do so and knowingly withhold some, place nothing before the divine goodness for remission through the mediation of the priest, "for if the sick person is too ashamed to show his wound to the doctor, the medicine cannot heal what it does not know."55
1457 According to the Church’s command, "after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year."56 Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession.57 Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.58

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.59 Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful:60
Code:
Whoever confesses his sins . . . is already working with God. God indicts your sins; if you also indict them, you are joined with God. Man and sinner are, so to speak, two realities: when you hear "man" - this is what God has made; when you hear "sinner" - this is what man himself has made. Destroy what you have made, so that God may save what he has made. . . . When you begin to abhor what you have made, it is then that your good works are beginning, since you are accusing yourself of your evil works. The beginning of good works is the confession of evil works. You do the truth and come to the light.61
vatican.va/archive/catechism/p2s2c2a4.htm#VII

of course those with scruples…be careful of your scruples here…!
Wow, that was an extraordinary response! Thanks a lot! I’ve only been Catholic (converted from a Protestant sect) for a year, so this whole post has been a great help to me.
 
Wow, that was an extraordinary response! Thanks a lot! I’ve only been Catholic (converted from a Protestant sect) for a year, so this whole post has been a great help to me.
Your very welcome. I am glad. Anytime. (a little note though…the term sect may not be apt …for normally we would say a Protestant community or something like that …sect has other uses).

i too am a convert …though more than 20 years ago…and my theology degree is from Franciscan University of Steubenville which is a great University 🙂 so my love is Theology… anything you need …drop me a line and i will do what i can…one convert to another…for I have been there…

Of course the Catechism and the Compendium of the Catechism is some of the best sources…they are beautifully written and wonderful to read…

Welcome! It is great to be in full Communion with the Catholic Church isn’t it!
 
Hello, I was wondering what one does when, in confession, one cannot remember the exact number of times a sin was committed… I feel horrible because I can’t remember the exact number. Do you give a general guess or approximation? Does this hinder the Sacrament from taking place or your sins being forgiven?

Thanks for any help. 😦
Congrats on your conversion :extrahappy:

Since your question has already been answered, I’d just like to comment: I still worry about doing my confession correctly or not because it’s the only sacrament you can’t observe others receving, you know? And of course the priest would never say, oh you’re doing it wrong, but still :o

For example I’ve just recently learned that at the end of our confession we are supposed to say, For these and all the sins of my past life, such as sins of (broad categories, like anger, impurity), I am heartily sorry.
 
I still worry about doing my confession correctly or not because it’s the only sacrament you can’t observe others receving, you know?
I know what you mean. When I was about to convert, many years ago now, I read a couple of pamphlets that outlined how it’s done, and the only other thing I really had to go on was how it’s depicted in movies and on TV. 😉
And of course the priest would never say, oh you’re doing it wrong
I think a good priest will say something, in a kind way. And if you tell him you don’t know what you’re doing, he can help. 🙂
 
Hello, I was wondering what one does when, in confession, one cannot remember the exact number of times a sin was committed… I feel horrible because I can’t remember the exact number. Do you give a general guess or approximation? Does this hinder the Sacrament from taking place or your sins being forgiven?

Thanks for any help. 😦
you can surely remember the frequency–I took my neighbor’s car once and went joy-riding vs. I make my living as a car thief and boost 4-5 cars a week. I make one lapse in the purity department vs. I am in a different bed every night. Just tell the priest how much of problem this act is being for you and if he needs details he will ask, now it does not affect the validity of the sacrament.
 
For example I’ve just recently learned that at the end of our confession we are supposed to say, For these and all the sins of my past life, such as sins of (broad categories, like anger, impurity), I am heartily sorry.
I think that’s someone being extra intense. I’ve never heard of that.

It’s a good idea to say something about being sorry for anything else you’ve forgotten, to avoid any scruples later about whether it was a complete confession, but there’s no requirement to express sorrow for sins of your past life - they’ve been confessed and absolved already, surely? - and certainly no requirement to say what they were.
 
I think that’s someone being extra intense. I’ve never heard of that.

It’s a good idea to say something about being sorry for anything else you’ve forgotten, to avoid any scruples later about whether it was a complete confession, but there’s no requirement to express sorrow for sins of your past life - they’ve been confessed and absolved already, surely? - and certainly no requirement to say what they were.
Not sure if this ending is in the Rite per se…one would have to check…(perhaps someone can find a site that has the official rite I of penance…but not sure if it is out there…there may be copyright involved in putting it on the web)

but in any case one finds it in good booklets on confession…

and by adding… all the sins of my life…particularly for the sins of y and x …not only is it doing what you suggested…but this is a way to be sure one has actual matter for confession that one is sorry for …

so if it is not in the required rite it is a well established custom and is not foreign to the rite…
 
I wonder if there is a way to check if one is supposed to say “the sins of my past life, etc.”. I was told by my good Catholic friend before that we are to say at the end, “I am truly sorry for these and all my sins.”
 
It’s a good idea to say something about being sorry for anything else you’ve forgotten, to avoid any scruples later about whether it was a complete confession…
That’s what I do. I finish my list of sins with “for these sins, any sins I may have forgotten, and all the sins of my life, I am sorry.” If I don’t know the number of times I did something, I’ll simply tell the priest, “I did [whatever] several times. I don’t remember exactly how many times, but I think it was about [estimated number]” 🙂
 
I finish my list of sins with “for these sins, any sins I may have forgotten… I am sorry.” If I don’t know the number of times I did something, I’ll simply tell the priest, “I did [whatever] several times. I don’t remember exactly how many times, but I think it was about [estimated number]” 🙂
This is pretty much what I do. I don’t say the “of my past life” part because I’ve confessed them, but I’ll gladly change that if I need to. 🙂
 
I wonder if there is a way to check if one is supposed to say “the sins of my past life, etc.”. I was told by my good Catholic friend before that we are to say at the end, “I am truly sorry for these and all my sins.”
Yes one would look at the confession rite I in the official book…but i do not have this book…

but i know one can…do so.

I say…and all the sins of my life particularly those of X and Y

and sometimes i will add before this…and all the ways i have not lived according to the gospel…
 
I think i found out that the rite is not that detailed…it is rather basic.

so one can do this and it is certainly very good to do so…there is much freedom with form of words…besides the absolution!

this examine has it in just that way…

scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=93
Really? Another problem I had was, I was taught to go in there and begin, “Bless me Father, for I have sinned, it has been, etc.”. Well, One priest at a local parish that I sometimes attend always interrupts me and says “good afternoon” and something I’ve never quite heard before, but sounds like a written prayer from a book and then I confess. This annoys me to no end because it sounds so casual to say “good afternoon” (but then again, my parish priest begins Mass that way unfortunately) etc.

Oh well, no use worrying about it I guess. Does anyone at all ever attempt to follow rubrics anymore???
 
Really? Another problem I had was, I was taught to go in there and begin, “Bless me Father, for I have sinned, it has been, etc.”. Well, One priest at a local parish that I sometimes attend always interrupts me and says “good afternoon” and something I’ve never quite heard before, but sounds like a written prayer from a book and then I confess. This annoys me to no end because it sounds so casual to say “good afternoon” (but then again, my parish priest begins Mass that way unfortunately) etc.

Oh well, no use worrying about it I guess. Does anyone at all ever attempt to follow rubrics anymore???
Yes that is fine…and i believe that even in the instructions of the rite…there is mention giving a friendly greeting such as this… (but not an obligation)…

then one could begin by the “Bless me Father…” or just "In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit amen’ (Which the Priest may join you in)…–which is what I choose…then one would normally state one state in life and when your last confession was…

and either the priest or you could even at this point read from Sacred Scripture!

then one proceeds to the confession of the sins saying for example “I accuse myself of…”

then one can end with the formula we already talked about and the priest says whatever advice etc and gives the penance which we accept …and then he asks for an act of contrition…and then gives absolution…and then the “give thanks to he Lord for he is good” …and the response…“his mercy endures forever”… …and then the " the Lord has freed you from your sins…go in peace…" and a thank you Father on the way out…🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top