Remembering The Day I was Received :)

  • Thread starter Thread starter InquestofaWoman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

InquestofaWoman

Guest
Tomorrow marks my first anniversary, wherein I was received into our Catholic faith. I remain today, as I was then, very thrilled at my decision. I love my parish family and the Church at large. I have also enjoyed my time here on CAF and anticipate many more years sharing in this wondrous community.

Of course, there have been challenges to overcome, one of which is a bit mortifying and commenced long before I came to the Faith. Nothing so unveils my journey from Protestantism, than my repeated tumble over the prayer stool!!!

Upon my first visit to an Anglo-Catholic church, my knees buckled in pain because I was kneeling on the hard cold floor. At the time, I was sitting in a pew alone with no one to guide me, and so did not know there was any such thing as a prayer stool. It took a lady, who sat behind me, a minute or two to point out its existence, by mouthing and pointing wildly below. I was relieved, at last, to see the object in question, but then found myself flying over it on my way back from my Communion. Only a few minutes had gone by, and already I had forgotten the stool was there. This marked the first of a long line of fumbles!

My most embarrassing plunge occurred the day I was received into the Catholic fold. I must emphasize, however, that this mishap was largely my own fault. Following the profession of vows, I strolled–I am ashamed to admit–quite haughtily in regal fashion, elegantly draped in my favourite red and black dress. I had scarcely returned to my pew when I found myself at once descending, my proud foot having caught on the prayer stool I had neglected to put away. Down I went, curls flying, to my knees, whilst the echo of my unceremonious plummet resounded loudly throughout the sanctuary, doubtless to the amusement of nearby children who tittered most mercilessly. Thoroughly annoyed and pouting, I picked myself up and sat down, wondering if I had brought the disgrace upon myself; for only moments prior I had uncharitably grinned at the priest as he muttered to himself, struggling to open the incense bottle for our anointing. I may also add vanity to the list of transgressions, which, only the day before, I had humbly bewailed in the sacrament of Confession and Reconciliation, along with the sin of pride; yet there I was again, in an evil hour, strutting like a peacock with nose trained high to the heavens. It may be God was teaching me a lesson in His own inimitable (and humorous!) way. Indeed, I stand corrected, and now upon the anniversary of my humiliation, I cannot help but laugh, too!

So, a haughty spirit preceded my fall, as told in Proverbs 16:18; but, in most other cases, natural clumsiness, due to a greater familiarity with carpeted floors, was more often to blame. Since that day, my falls have continued: I tripped at a priest ordination a couple of weeks later and at several subsequent Masses. These incidents, blessedly, are happening less often, though; hence, I must be making progress!! Wish me luck! :harp:

Meanwhile, if you are to be received, as I was, keep my tale of woe in mind and remember to put up your prayer stool after prayers. As well, if yours is an older parish or cathedral, there may be doors upon the pews (I’ve crashed into one before…); watch out for those, too! 😃
*
“A merry heart doeth good like a medicine…” (Proverbs 17:22)*
 
We’ve all been embarrassed at some time or another. What silly stories do you have in your closet? 😛
 
We’ve all been embarrassed at some time or another. What silly stories do you have in your closet? 😛
I was attending the 4 PM Mass on Sun. at our Cathedral after having worked the previous 8 hours at the hospital. I had been up since 5 AM and was very tired. There were many hospital personnel in attendance, the Cathedral is close to the hospital and the time is convenient.

Anyway, it was very warm, I was sleepy, and the homily was hard to hear and, well, boring. So I fell asleep and crashed head first into the pew in front of me where a couple of Drs. i know were sitting. Boy, was I red-faced. but it woke me up. :o
 
I was attending the 4 PM Mass on Sun. at our Cathedral after having worked the previous 8 hours at the hospital. I had been up since 5 AM and was very tired. There were many hospital personnel in attendance, the Cathedral is close to the hospital and the time is convenient.

Anyway, it was very warm, I was sleepy, and the homily was hard to hear and, well, boring. So I fell asleep and crashed head first into the pew in front of me where a couple of Drs. i know were sitting. Boy, was I red-faced. but it woke me up. :o
Ohh, ouch!!! :banghead: I’ll bet that woke you up, CB Catholic! Hahahahaha!

I fell asleep once during Mass…Regrettably, on my knees during prayers, prior to the Eucharist. This is very shameful, I know, but, like you I was quite tired and well…When my eyes closed they stayed closed for a few moments. How did I wake up? Well, it happened to be a very hot day, and the parish hasn’t any air conditioning. Hence, my sweaty knees, all the more slippery from lotion, eventually sent me sliding off the prayer stool and I fell partially into the aisle.

At least the sound of me hitting the floor was not so loud as when I trip over the prayer stool; only the people close by heard. Nonetheless, all had trembling grins on their faces. A few shoulders started to move up and down.

THAT woke me up!!! 😃
 
We’ve all been embarrassed at some time or another. What silly stories do you have in your closet? 😛
Congratulations on your anniversary and may you have many more.

The one funny thing I will always remember is when the priest wished everyone a merry Christmas on Easter.
 
Congratulations on your anniversary and may you have many more.

The one funny thing I will always remember is when the priest wished everyone a merry Christmas on Easter.
Aww, poor gentleman. We all have those days, I guess, when we get a little disoriented!

Thank you for your congratulations, Fred. I shall, indeed, have many more anniversaries, God willing. I am deeply in love with my faith 👍, and I thank the Lord for bringing me here. Spiritually, I’ve never been happier!!!
 
Aww, poor gentleman. We all have those days, I guess, when we get a little disoriented!

Thank you for your congratulations, Fred. I shall, indeed, have many more anniversaries, God willing. I am deeply in love with my faith 👍, and I thank the Lord for bringing me here. Spiritually, I’ve never been happier!!!
That is wonderful and I wish more could have what you’ve found. For the angel’s expressed it the best, “peace on earth”.
 
That is wonderful and I wish more could have what you’ve found. For the angel’s expressed it the best, “peace on earth”.
We get from our faith what we put in, combined with a firm hold on Christ. It is accessible to all who would believe, as we do here. Christianity, however, is not a stroll through the garden. When the initial excitement of being received wanes, life steps in: we will have challenges that try our beliefs. They are meant, not to punish or to discourage, but to purify us. There can be no deeper understanding of faith, if there is no crucible to test and prove it.

I have not come this far without disappointment, frustration, and worries. But I am persuaded, above all, that Jesus is Lord; an inexhaustible, sovereign, divine Entity who directs my life. I am part of His Church and doing my best, by His grace, to order my life as He teaches. Whatever my trials, He will guide me through them; I have only to hold His hand in faith, as He has always clasped mine.

Peace on earth, indeed, Fred. Peace in our Lord Jesus Christ. This is what I have found and to which I cling. Can there be anything better!?! 🙂
 
One Sunday, when I lived in Tucson, I fainted during mass. I missed about 7 minutes of it and they had just stopped as I woke up.
It was my first summer in Tucson, and it was about 107 that day…
 
HEEEYYY:wave:!! Congratulations InquestofaWoman.

What a wonderful anniversary!

Heartwarming posts of yours.

“My” story concerns my baby granddaughter (I wasn’t there) about three weeks ago.

She thinks she is pretty big because she gets to drop in the “money” envelope in the basket at Mass.

During the singing of the offertory song, she started to sing the correct tune, but the WRONG lyrics. She began singing (loudly): “Money, money, money . . . .”

May God especially bless you on such a momentous day.

Cathoholic
 
One Sunday, when I lived in Tucson, I fainted during mass. I missed about 7 minutes of it and they had just stopped as I woke up.
It was my first summer in Tucson, and it was about 107 that day…
Hi Delta. Oh dear, how awful!

Mass in summer heat can be hard. Our parish is very old and does not have air conditioning. The members are faithful in attending; but we do feel especially uncomfortable on those days.

Thanks to our Lord you were not more seriously hurt!
 
HEEEYYY:wave:!! Congratulations InquestofaWoman.

What a wonderful anniversary!

Heartwarming posts of yours.

“My” story concerns my baby granddaughter (I wasn’t there) about three weeks ago.

She thinks she is pretty big because she gets to drop in the “money” envelope in the basket at Mass.

During the singing of the offertory song, she started to sing the correct tune, but the WRONG lyrics. She began singing (loudly): “Money, money, money . . . .”

May God especially bless you on such a momentous day.

Cathoholic
Hello Cathoholic!!! 👋

Hehehehehe! “Money, money, money…” That must have given the members a good chuckle!!!

Thank you for your blessing. I wish I could have spent my anniversary with my parish family, but I am too far away now. I have only been able to visit there once since moving home. Hoping for a job soon so I can move back.

You are in my prayers!
 
I said the priest’s part one time when I was reading. :doh2:
 
I said the priest’s part one time when I was reading. :doh2:
Yikes! How did the priest handle that? Did he read the part again or just move on?

I have done the readings a few times. Once, the text extended to the next page, and when I turned the page, more than one flopped over. I fumbled trying to find my place, and then sat the rest of Mass in horror, wondering if I read the right thing!😊
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top