Renaming in the Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter ESMDHokie77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ESMDHokie77

Guest
Hey CAF,

Can you confirm for me this list of people renamed in the Bible? Also can I get a verse for each’s occurence?

Abram to Abraham, father to a family.
Jacob to Israel, father to the 12 tribes.
Simon to Peter, father to the Church. (Matt 16 🙂 )

That’s all, right?

Thanks,
Phil
 
Abram’s name changed to Abraham: Gen. 17:5

Jacob’s name changed to Israel: Gen. 32:28

Simon’s name changed to Peter: Matthew 16:18

Are you interested in the biblical people who were specifically renamed by God? I presume that is the case. If not then we could include Daniel and his buddies, whose names were changed by King Nebuchadnezzar.
 
Well when God does it is certainly and obviously holds significance.

What purpose did Daniel getting renamed serve?
 
Well when God does it is certainly and obviously holds significance.

What purpose did Daniel getting renamed serve?
There was no great significant factor involved with Daniel’s name being changed (unlike with the others on your list). King Nebuchadnezzar simply wanted to replace the Hebrew names of his captive Jewish servants with Babylonian names (well, technically it was the chief eunuch of the king who did the renaming). We also readily see that when God changes a name, the new name “sticks.” Not so in the case of Daniel. After all, he is primarily known as Daniel rather than Belteshazzar.
 
Hmm, interesting point, I could also draw from the fact that you just mentioned… When God renames someone, the name sticks, and in Daniel’s instance it didn’t stick, to further contrast the gravity of the situation when God does so.
In what verses does Daniel’s event occur?

Thanks for your help!
 
Don’t forget the conversion of Saul, and his renaming to Paul!
 
For the women:

God’s messenger Gabriel addresses Mary saying, Hail, “Full of Grace”, blessed are you amoung women and blessed is the Fruit of your womb.

Sarai - Sarah
 
Don’t forget the conversion of Saul, and his renaming to Paul!
I don’t think that this was an actual “renaming”. I believe that Saul was his Hebrew name, Paul was the Greek version of the same name…
Someone correct me if I’m wrong…

Peace
James
 
I don’t think that this was an actual “renaming”. I believe that Saul was his Hebrew name, Paul was the Greek version of the same name…
Someone correct me if I’m wrong…

Peace
James
This is my understanding but could be wrong.
 
I don’t think that this was an actual “renaming”. I believe that Saul was his Hebrew name, Paul was the Greek version of the same name…
Someone correct me if I’m wrong…

Peace
James
Correct, it was not a renaming. Saul chose to adopt his Greek ( or was it Roman name since he was a roman citizen) of Paul so as to contrast it with Saul, who was known for persecuting Christians.
 
Hmm, interesting point, I could also draw from the fact that you just mentioned… When God renames someone, the name sticks, and in Daniel’s instance it didn’t stick, to further contrast the gravity of the situation when God does so.
In what verses does Daniel’s event occur?

Thanks for your help!
You’re very welcome. And not only does Daniel’s new Babylonian name not stick, within the pages of the Book of Daniel itself, after the renaming event, the narrative continues to consistently use “Daniel” rather “Belteshazzar”. His Babylonian name only pops up here and there in passing. All this indicates (as we have been saying) that the Babylonians were not acting under God’s inspiration in this matter, and therefore there is no deeper significance in the renaming of Daniel (as is the case with, say, Abraham). “Daniel” means “God is my Judge,” but “Belteshazzar” is simply a name imposed upon Daniel by pagans.

The verses concerning Daniel’s renaming are as follows:

“Among these were men of Judah: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. The chief chamberlain changed their names: Daniel to Belteshazzar, Hananiah to Shadrach, Mishael to Meshach, and Azariah to Abednego.” (Daniel 1:6-7, NAB)
 
Hey CAF,

Can you confirm for me this list of people renamed in the Bible? Also can I get a verse for each’s occurence?

Abram to Abraham, father to a family.
Jacob to Israel, father to the 12 tribes.
Simon to Peter, father to the Church. (Matt 16 🙂 )

That’s all, right?

Thanks,
Phil
A couple more off the top of my head:

Gideon to Jerubaal; Judges 6:32.
Eliakim to Jehoiakim; 2Kings 23:34

There are probably more.
 
Hey CAF,

Can you confirm for me this list of people renamed in the Bible? Also can I get a verse for each’s occurence?

Abram to Abraham, father to a family.
Jacob to Israel, father to the 12 tribes.
Simon to Peter, father to the Church. (Matt 16 🙂 )

That’s all, right?

Thanks,
Phil
Saul to Paul.
 
Originally posted by ESMDHokie77
Abram to Abraham, father to a family.
Jacob to Israel, father to the 12 tribes.
Simon to Peter, father to the Church. (Matt 16 )
For the women:

God’s messenger Gabriel addresses Mary saying, Hail, “Full of Grace”, blessed are you amoung women and blessed is the Fruit of your womb.

Sarai - Sarah
Interesting that
Sarai to Sarah, mother to a family
Mary to “Full of Grace”, mother to the Church

A mother for each of the two kinds of life given to humans: physical life and spiritual life.
 
The Hebrew name Saul means “asked for.” The Greek name Paulus means “small.” It is possible that Paul was of small stature and that his Greek name may have been a nickname.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top