Reparation & Restitution

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ziggamafu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Ziggamafu

Guest
I’m going to open this can and hopefully it sparks a lively discussion with a lot of opinions: when do we know we’ve “done enough” to repair any damage cause by our mortal sin? If I understand correctly, it seems that reparation or restitution is always a grave obligation on the part of the penitent after the sins themselves are already forgiven. But reparation isn’t always as clear cut or easy to perform as the penance one receives in confession (especially when it might mean revealing your identity to those who were offended or hurt somehow by your sin). So the question remains: when do we know we’ve done enough to satisfy the grave obligation of reparation?
 
My opinion is there is 2 parts to this, one is to recognize the sin as an act against god, the second is the contrition. The restitution is a subgroup of the contrition. Often real restitution is not possible, who can return a life? So restitution is not a primary action but a condition of contrition. The current question of “What is enough restitution?” is simply enough to achieve contrition. In my opinion the answer is when the sinner has achieved a desire to never repeat the sin then restitution is achieved. Consider the alcoholic who hurts his family, what restitution is available or adequate? My advice is the only restitution is to practice never hurting his family in this way again.
Hope that helps
 
I’m going to open this can and hopefully it sparks a lively discussion with a lot of opinions: when do we know we’ve “done enough” to repair any damage cause by our mortal sin? If I understand correctly, it seems that reparation or restitution is always a grave obligation on the part of the penitent after the sins themselves are already forgiven. But reparation isn’t always as clear cut or easy to perform as the penance one receives in confession (especially when it might mean revealing your identity to those who were offended or hurt somehow by your sin). So the question remains: when do we know we’ve done enough to satisfy the grave obligation of reparation?
That’s an interesting question, something I’ve never thought about before. I’m not sure we can really know we’ve done enough, just like we don’t really know when we need to stop praying for someone after he dies. We constantly sin, so we continually need to be doing penance to make reparation for our sins, which is a way to grow in charity and virtue.
 
Cool responses. Wow, I thought there would be more interest in this thread. Any other thoughts?

I think along the lines of Texas Roofer, pretty much. But it kinda nags at me sometimes…wondering if I can’t ever “know”…you know?
 
Just found the thread now. This is a subject that I think about a lot. I fast, abstain from certain food items, say a lot of prayers of repairation, but I always worry that it’s not “enough.” I also try to pray for the people that I have hurt in anyway through my sins, that God will heal them on any emotional hurts that they have obtained due to my sin. As far as any financial restitution, I’m not always sure how to go about doing this, either.
 
The malice of sin is so great that no human could ever repair it. That’s why Jesus died on the cross. Only an infinite sacrifice could repair the infinite offense to God that sin is. Whatever we do is more symbolic - a show of good will.

In the practical realm, referring to the damage done to our fellow humans by our sins, we take our cue from the instructions given to us by the priest in confession. If we have stolen or defrauded someone, we will be directed to return or pay back what is owed. If we have damaged someone’s property, we will have to pay to have it repaired. If we have damaged someone’s reputation, we must try to repair it by our statements about his goodness. Beyond that, our sincere attempt to reform is sufficient. Obedience is our sure guide here. When we are complete and sincere in our confession, the priest will be able to direct us on reparation and restitution. We need not go about wondering if what we have done is enough.

Betsy
 
I’m going to open this can and hopefully it sparks a lively discussion with a lot of opinions: when do we know we’ve “done enough” to repair any damage cause by our mortal sin? If I understand correctly, it seems that reparation or restitution is always a grave obligation on the part of the penitent after the sins themselves are already forgiven. But reparation isn’t always as clear cut or easy to perform as the penance one receives in confession (especially when it might mean revealing your identity to those who were offended or hurt somehow by your sin). So the question remains: when do we know we’ve done enough to satisfy the grave obligation of reparation?
Perhaps if you could quote the section of the Catechism on this topic which has you confused other posters might have more to contribute. For example, you quoted “done enough” without supplying a reference to Church teaching that requires that we “do enough”.
Even without knowing fully what you are asking I am going to say that you never will fully know that you have done enough to repair the temporal damage to others from a mortal sin.
 
, but I always worry that it’s not “enough.” I also try to pray for the people that I have hurt in anyway through my sins, that God will heal them on any emotional hurts that they have obtained due to my sin. As far as any financial restitution, I’m not always sure how to go about doing this, either.
I’m not sure restitution is ever “enough” in the sense that, if sin is an offense against God, it is of infinite proportion, and cannot be met with infinite restitution.

Some things are easy: I steal $5.00 from my neighbor, I return $5.00, perhaps with interest. But if, perhaps I do not turn in a serious effort one day at work; do I owe my employer that day’s wage back, or in part? If I have done that for years, do I now need to let my family starve while I work without a wage for years? But how do I know my employer will use the profit from my labor for good purposes or evil ones? I don’t.

I don’t think it’s possible, most of the time, to know the dimension of our sins’ effects, and therefore the degree of rectification it would take for them, even in human terms. If I jilted some young lady in my youth that I had led on selfishly, perhaps it ruined her whole life and had repercussions down generations, but perhaps I did her a favor, as she perhaps found someone better than me because I inadvertently taught her something about the difference between a good man and a rat.

Seems to me that for the most part, about all we can do (and what we should do) is live a life of penitence all the time, but consistent with the realistic needs of life and our current obligations. Sounds to me as if that’s the direction you are, in fact, pursuing, even though it perhaps does not seem so to you.
 
Can reparation or restitution always be made anonymously or does it ever necessitate revealing your identity? And what constitutes “full” reparation? Are we even obligated to make “full” reparation? Can such reparation ever be viewed as too inconvenient or potentially harmful for the penitant?
Code:
Here's an example. I'm 24, now. Back when I was in high school, I was a bit of a trouble maker and didn't always choose wisely who I hung out with. Long story short, I committed vandelism a couple of times, shop-lifted once, and stole a backpack full of books from my high school *(how dumb is that?!!)*, mostly to look cool or impress people I suppose. Just dumb stuff that I did when I was irresponsible and didn't care about my grades or future - before I knew Jesus. In college I cleaned up, studied hard, received Christ, got married, etc. 
 Sometimes I wonder if I've ever made the kind of reparation or restitution demanded in the Catechism, though. I mean, I guess I could go to these places/people and remind the owners of some past headaches and explain that it was my fault and apologize or something. But I obviously choose not to do this for fear of unwanted trouble it may cause for me. This in turn makes me wonder if I'm really forgiven and if I'm able to receive Holy Communion.
 
As I understand it, you are not required to reveal your identity when you make restitution. A priest told me once that you could send money to a company’s corporate headquarters and mark it “conscience money,” and they know what to do with it. For the sake of anonymity, you could use a money order.

What you should do to ease your conscience is tell the priest in your next confession exactly what you have told us, and follow his advice regarding restitution. The priest has the authority to bind and loose, which includes the obligation of restitution. Then, you can have peace of mind.

Merry Christmas!

Betsy
 
In the CCC 2487, it says that reparation must be made in secret when public reparation is not possible. To me, that means there is a preference for public reparation. The mystery is how strict “not possible” is to be defined.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top