Resignation of Michael Powell as Chairman of the Federal Communcations Commission

• Thread starter Thread starter buffalo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
buffalo:
With the news of the resignation of Michael Powell as Chairman of the Federal Communcations Commission, Morality in Media has joined with others in a letter to President George W. Bush that urges him “to nominate a person who understands the indecency problem and who is committed to enforcing indecency laws.”

Radio/TV Indecency Send Your Letter
I have to say, that contray to the myths many people hold, it has been Mr. Powell and the Republican appointees to the FCC who ahve done the bidding of the corporations (partiuclarly FOX, the most filth filled broadcaster) and the Democrats who have been better at putting decency above corporate profits. I hope Mr. Bush appoints a new Chair who behaves more like the Democrats on the FCC than the current Republicans.

Indeed, until last year’s Superbowl incident, Democrat Commissioner Copps was pretty much the only person on the FCC fighting for moral standards in the media. Republican appointees traditionally tend to be nothing but sellouts to the bottom line. I’d like to hope that President Bush could do something to change that with this opportunity, but he certainly would be breaking away from the expected precedent if he does.

I actually find it strangely (and humorously) ironic that liberals in the media have been taking shots at the present “administration” for the recent crackdowns.

40.png
chicago:
I actually find it strangely (and humorously) ironic that liberals in the media have been taking shots at the present “administration” for the recent crackdowns.
Yes, but that’s the difference between “liberals in the media” and liberals in politics.

Copps is a great guy. If Bush would make him chairman, that would show some leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back