O
Oscarthecat
Guest
Hello all,
I have an issue with a modernist professor (who doesn’t, really?) in my masters of theology program. I’m going to try to present a few general points of view that he holds, in the hope that I can gather some good responses from you knowledgeable folks. I know these arguments are pretty simple in their basic nature, but the real problem is that he dismisses any evidence that doesn’t prove his point-a typical modernist tactic-so any advice on an airtight response to the above issues would really be appreciated.
*We don’t objectively know anything about the historical figure of Christ because everything written about Him in the Gospels was written to advance a specific Christology, not to objectively report facts and data.
We have no way of objectively identifying the historical figure Jesus of Nazareth from the New Testament because the Christ we think we know today is really a result of 2000 years of collective and popularly held beliefs about who we hope Christ is. He evidences this by pointing to different denominations who present different views of Christ.
Therefore, Christianity is not about Christ, it is about Christians. The “person who was Christ 2000 years ago” has been overshadowed by who we think of when we think of the Jesus that has been reconstructed over the years, This figure is an artificial ideal that might have began with the historical figure Jesus of Nazareth, but no longer resembles that historical figure-or, at least, there is no way for us to know how similar these two figures really are.
Therefore, since Christ is really what we make Him to be, then the only real earthly authority that exists over the Church is the collective experience of Christ which can’t be explicitly expressed, but only observed in the implicit will of the people. *
His usual endgame here is reconstructing the Catholic Church as a democratic, loosely affiliated system of small “house churches” without an ordained priesthood, discernable heirarchy, etc.
I know there is a lot there to dismantle, so feel free to just break off a piece here or there as you see fit.
One last thing, and please no one take offense, but responses like “just tell him he’s teaching heresy” or “Pope … says that he’s wrong in the following encyclical” aren’t much help, although I appreciate the sentiment. I’m really looking for how to deal with this kind of argument in terms that a person who really believes it will understand.
I have an issue with a modernist professor (who doesn’t, really?) in my masters of theology program. I’m going to try to present a few general points of view that he holds, in the hope that I can gather some good responses from you knowledgeable folks. I know these arguments are pretty simple in their basic nature, but the real problem is that he dismisses any evidence that doesn’t prove his point-a typical modernist tactic-so any advice on an airtight response to the above issues would really be appreciated.
*We don’t objectively know anything about the historical figure of Christ because everything written about Him in the Gospels was written to advance a specific Christology, not to objectively report facts and data.
We have no way of objectively identifying the historical figure Jesus of Nazareth from the New Testament because the Christ we think we know today is really a result of 2000 years of collective and popularly held beliefs about who we hope Christ is. He evidences this by pointing to different denominations who present different views of Christ.
Therefore, Christianity is not about Christ, it is about Christians. The “person who was Christ 2000 years ago” has been overshadowed by who we think of when we think of the Jesus that has been reconstructed over the years, This figure is an artificial ideal that might have began with the historical figure Jesus of Nazareth, but no longer resembles that historical figure-or, at least, there is no way for us to know how similar these two figures really are.
Therefore, since Christ is really what we make Him to be, then the only real earthly authority that exists over the Church is the collective experience of Christ which can’t be explicitly expressed, but only observed in the implicit will of the people. *
His usual endgame here is reconstructing the Catholic Church as a democratic, loosely affiliated system of small “house churches” without an ordained priesthood, discernable heirarchy, etc.
I know there is a lot there to dismantle, so feel free to just break off a piece here or there as you see fit.
One last thing, and please no one take offense, but responses like “just tell him he’s teaching heresy” or “Pope … says that he’s wrong in the following encyclical” aren’t much help, although I appreciate the sentiment. I’m really looking for how to deal with this kind of argument in terms that a person who really believes it will understand.