N
NewGuy2014
Guest
Hi all,
As I’ve mentioned earlier. I am considering becoming Catholic. I recently informed an Eastern Orthodox friend of mine about this and he attempted to dissuade me from doing so and said that I should consider becoming Eastern Orthodox instead and attend an Eastern Orthodox Liturgy. Aside from the standard Eastern Orthodox objections regarding filioque and papal infallibility, he made some accusations against the Catholic Church that I found somewhat odd. I thought it would be a good idea to ask informed Catholics about them. I would very much appreciate your responses.
p.s. I should probably note again, in case you have not seen me mention in my previous posts, that I am considering being Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Catholic or Evangelical but am having trouble deciding between them or how to know which one is the most true.
Hope you can help.
God bless
Please pray for me
As I’ve mentioned earlier. I am considering becoming Catholic. I recently informed an Eastern Orthodox friend of mine about this and he attempted to dissuade me from doing so and said that I should consider becoming Eastern Orthodox instead and attend an Eastern Orthodox Liturgy. Aside from the standard Eastern Orthodox objections regarding filioque and papal infallibility, he made some accusations against the Catholic Church that I found somewhat odd. I thought it would be a good idea to ask informed Catholics about them. I would very much appreciate your responses.
- When he mentioned his objections to papal infallibility, I tried to explain that the Catholic view is that Jesus declared Peter the rock and gave him the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven and that the Popes have apostolic succession from Peter. He responded by saying that they do not have apostolic succession as the apostolic succession was broken when Rome had two female Popes, and that one of them even had a baby? I asked for more details and proof but he just insisted that this is historically true and history proves this. How would you respond?
- Did this happen?
- Supposing that it did happen, would this mean that the current Pope does not have apostolic succession of the the apostolic succession of Rome has been broken?
- On a similar note (and please excuse me here as the question may seem offensive, but I would like to word it as best as I can to how he worded it), he also insisted that even today, when a Pope is elected, he sits on a chair that looks like a toilet seat and has his genitals examined by others (can’t remember by who but I think he said by bishops?) to prove that he is a man so as to prevent another female Pope?
- Does this happen today?
- Did this ever happen?
- Finally, when I mentioned that the Catholic Church has been able to have Ecumenical Councils even after splitting with the Eastern Orthodox, while the Eastern Orthodox have not, he responded by saying an Ecumenical Council with who? He said the Bishop of Rome (or See of Rome?) is not in Communion with any of the other 4 Sees (Alexandria, Jerusalem, Antioch, Constantinople). That the Pope is only in Communion with himself. He said how are these council Ecumenical? Who goes to these councils? Roman and German bishops? (He said these questions/statements to try to indicate that these Councils are not Ecumenical and I suppose to indicate that Rome has separated herself from the other Sees and cannot really be the One, Holy, Universal and Apostolic Church.
p.s. I should probably note again, in case you have not seen me mention in my previous posts, that I am considering being Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Catholic or Evangelical but am having trouble deciding between them or how to know which one is the most true.
Hope you can help.
God bless
Please pray for me