Response to celebrant on Ash Wednesday

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chris_Etzel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris_Etzel

Guest
OK, I hate to ask a question that might already be answered but my searching here is not very fruitful so far…

I am in RCIA and at class last wed they went over Lent, but the person doing the talk didn’t go over the process for approaching the celebrant to receive the ashes on the forehead.

Is there any special response or proper form ?
 
Nope. Just get in line, receive the ashes and move on.

Welcome home!
 
OK, I hate to ask a question that might already be answered but my searching here is not very fruitful so far…

I am in RCIA and at class last wed they went over Lent, but the person doing the talk didn’t go over the process for approaching the celebrant to receive the ashes on the forehead.

Is there any special response or proper form ?
I think you just put your hands together in front of you, ala “Amen” form. I do not know if the RCIA instructor told you, but it is customary/traditional to wear the ashes all day.

God bless…
 
I have found that each of the Churches I’ve been in has a program aide for Ash Wednesday, that explains what will be said and what our response should be. Usually it is “Amen.”

No worries!
 
There priest says while imposing the ashes

Gen. 3:19
Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in púlverem revertéris.

Remember, man, that you are dust and into dust you shall return.

And there is no response indicated in the Missal
 
There priest says while imposing the ashes

Gen. 3:19
Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in púlverem revertéris.

Remember, man, that you are dust and into dust you shall return.

And there is no response indicated in the Missal/QUOTE

Or alternatively he says, ‘Turn away from sin, and believe the Good News of the Gospel’. IIRC.
 
Thanks, Ya’ll!

I look forward to participating in my first Ash Wednesday in 27 years. 🙂

I am going at lunch with a couple Catholic co-workers.

God Bless all of you!
 
Thanks, Ya’ll!

I look forward to participating in my first Ash Wednesday in 27 years. 🙂

I am going at lunch with a couple Catholic co-workers.

God Bless all of you!
👍 Then you should be able to compare the crosses on your foreheads :D…and know who has not gone yet.
 
I don’t know of any direction on this. The missal seems to indicate that no response is expected. However, I suspect I probably say “Amen” without thinking about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top