C
Corki
Guest
Here’s one for all of you liturgy experts and cantors:
I know that the words of the readings and the Gospel cannot be changed at Mass but what about the Responsorial Psalm? There has been much discussion here at CAF about illicit musical settings that alter the words. I am more talking about switching the verses. A few examples:
Note: I know about the common psalms that can be substituted. I checked those first. This is different.
I know that the words of the readings and the Gospel cannot be changed at Mass but what about the Responsorial Psalm? There has been much discussion here at CAF about illicit musical settings that alter the words. I am more talking about switching the verses. A few examples:
- The psalm number is the same one listed in the missalette but the cantor sings completely different verses
- The cantor sings the verses in the missalette but leaves out lines or whole sets. She often does this when the sets have differing numbers of lines. She trims them down to the same size.
- The psalm is the same but the congregation is directed to sing a different verse than indicated in the missalette as the response
Note: I know about the common psalms that can be substituted. I checked those first. This is different.