Restitution for cheating at university

  • Thread starter Thread starter divinefaith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

divinefaith

Guest
What would be morally required as restitution for cheating at university? suppose one has finished all their classes and has graduated…would it be fair to hold on to the profession?
 
Say a prayer, give a donation to the university, or do nothing.

If you have confessed the sin and done your penance, nothing more is requried.
 
Do soccer players need to give up the sport upon receiving a red card? Do hockey or football players need to give up the sport when they get a penalty? Of course not. As for academic cheating – go to confession, receive absolution, move on.

Now, if the cheating was systemic and you never truly learned what you need to know for your given profession, then you might want to consider taking a break and re-educating yourself. After all, who wants to go see a doctor who cheated his way through med school? Or take your car to a mechanic who doesn’t really know what he’s doing?
 
I suppose it would depend on the severity of the cheating. Did you cheat on a test or two for a higher grade or did you get into the program under false pretenses and thus denied a more qualified, but honest student their chance? This is a question to bring up during confession and get the advice of the priest.
 
What would be morally required as restitution for cheating at university? suppose one has finished all their classes and has graduated…would it be fair to hold on to the profession?
Did the cheating allow you to get the degree that you would not have otherwise have gotten?

If you are a conservative, the last thing you want to do is donate to the school; it will just use it for more cheating.
 
I suppose it would depend on the severity of the cheating. Did you cheat on a test or two for a higher grade or did you get into the program under false pretenses and thus denied a more qualified, but honest student their chance? This is a question to bring up during confession and get the advice of the priest.
I guess I’ll explain a little further. I used some information from my friend’s essay to put in my essay. That was a final assignment that did determine the final grade before graduation. I would have made a difference and I probably wouldn’t have succeeded if I didn’t use my friend’s essay.

In terms of denying a more qualified person the chance to get into a program, It wasn’t a competition in that way, but a matter of succeeding or not based on individual marks, However, what I am concerned of is whether or not holding on to the degree/profession is fair since applying for jobs could mean getting hired over other people who didn’t cheat.
Did the cheating allow you to get the degree that you would not have otherwise have gotten?

If you are a conservative, the last thing you want to do is donate to the school; it will just use it for more cheating.
I don’t understand your last statement…
 
As for being qualified at my profession, I do believe I will be once i finish especially off a lengthy post graduate training program. This program is compulsory to be qualified and not only requires I undertake further studies which repeats and advances on what I learnt at university but also requires much practical experience.
 
Perhaps your restitution could be to tutor those in need, free of charge. It doesn’t matter if they are at the same university.
 
… I don’t understand your last statement…
I hardly know where to begin. Academia is where ideas are born; they then work their way out to the society at large. I observed this at work. By the unusual nature of information requests, it was easy to know when someone in upper management was taking an advanced degree course. However, the academy has shifted its purpose from the pursuit of truth to advocacy of political causes. Example: Not willing to let the people rule themselves, academia has taken up so-called same-sex “marriage” as its current cause célèbre. You can see it even in some of their course descriptions, where you will read statements like, “Advocating _________ .” [Fill in favorite social justice cause.] Taking tuition under the false pretense of pursuing truth amounts to cheating the taxpayer and student.

As a result of this advocacy, higher education has become just another political force to be dealt with. Seung-Hui Cho shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others at Virginia Tech in 2007.
“Was Cho taught to hate?” And that answer is readily available on the websites of Cho’s English Department at Virginia Tech. This is a wonder world of PC weirdness. English studies at VT are a post-modern Disney World in which nihilism, moral and sexual boundary breaking, and fantasies of Marxist revolutionary violence are celebrated. They show up in a lot of faculty writing. Not by all the faculty, but probably by more than half.
Those 32 people were cheated out of their lives, not to mention what the wounded were cheated out of.

Relativism and her three ugly sisters, individualism, diversity, multiculturalism are all ideas from the academy. Father Mitch Pacwa has a few things to say about them on his CD and here austindiocese.org/newsletter_article_view.php?id=4952.

Breathes there a school that doesn’t have a speech code that is more often than not used to silence ideas critical of the liberal “in” thought of the day on campus?

Along with diversity [which is really diversity of skin color, not diversity of thought], there is affirmative action, the lowering of standards for admission and hiring. In 1994 the voters of California passed Prop 209 that banned AA, but the University of California [UC] defied the will of the people and continues to practice it to this day. This is cheating the people and the students out of a quality education.

This exhaustive study, A Crisis of Competence, by the National Association of Scholars nas.org/articles/politics_undermining_learning_scholars_warn_university_of_california shows how the UC is dominated by the political Left. After reading it, who would deny that the school is cheating? And the UC is hardly alone.

Consider what Hayek wrote in 1943: “It is a common mistake to regard National Socialism as a mere revolt against reason, an irrational movement without intellectual background. If that were so, the movement would be much less dangerous than it is.” – F. A. Hayek, Road to Serfdom, Chapter 12. “The Socialist Roots of Nazism.”

Then there was Victor Klemper who wrote, I Will Bear Witness: A Diary of the Nazi Years 1933-1941 in which he blamed not the ordinary Germans but the intellectuals. Given a future opportunity to mete out punishment after a similar Holocaust was all over, he wrote the following:
If one day the fate of the vanquished lay in my hands, then I would let all the ordinary folk go and even some of the leaders, who might perhaps after all have had honorable intentions and not known what they were doing. But I would have all the intellectuals strung up, and the professors three feet higher than the rest; they would be left hanging from the lampposts for as long as was compatible with hygiene.
I could go on, but space limits. Not to justify what you did, let me say there is plenty of cheating going on, most of it not by students. So, would you contribute to this?
 
Hi guys,
I would like to bring this thread back… Your responses were much appreciated, however, I’m back to worrying about this issue again. I will hopefully book an appointment with a pastor so I can discuss this with him.*
I don’t know if it’s my anxiety making me concerned or if I am right to worry about this.*
I really fear that I’m continuing to carry on sinning if I’m still holding on to my degree (even though further training will ensure I’m strictly qualified in all areas necessary for my job, including the area I’ve cheated in) I see it as a form of fraud or stealing and I need to return what I stole. I really don’t want to do this and I’m looking for any opportunity to tell me that I don’t need to.*
Any thoughts about this? And I’m aware that I might be going through a phase of scrupulosity so I really can’t form a conscience decision. *
 
Any thoughts about this?
Yes, my thoughts are that it is definitely your anxiety and scrupulosity. Therefore, you must speak to your spiritual director and you must put this aside and stop posting on the internet about it.

You have already been given the answer multiple times.

Stop posting on this topic and get help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top