Rev. 19:5

  • Thread starter Thread starter JeanneH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeanneH

Guest
Rev 19:5 Then a voice came from the throne:…JB

Whose voice was it? Jesus, an angel? I would think it was Jesus because he sits on the right hand of God.

Any thought?
Thanks
 
Rev 19:5 Then a voice came from the throne:…JB

Whose voice was it? Jesus, an angel? I would think it was Jesus because he sits on the right hand of God.

Any thought?
Thanks
See also Rev 21:3 - not conclusive, but the context and words suggest its not God speaking, but someone around the throne (e.g., an angel). It would be worth checking some commentaries, I imagine this has been discussed in many.
 
Rev 19:5 Then a voice came from the throne:…JB

Whose voice was it? Jesus, an angel? I would think it was Jesus because he sits on the right hand of God.

Any thought?
Thanks
“The Book of Destiny” by Fr Herman Kramer is a Historical interpretation of the Apocalypse. He says in verse 5 that the voice from the throne is the voice of one of the four living beings, the Lion, the Head of the Church.
 
See also Rev 21:3 - not conclusive, but the context and words suggest its not God speaking, but someone around the throne (e.g., an angel). It would be worth checking some commentaries, I imagine this has been discussed in many.
Actually, it hasn’t been discussed. I checked several commentaries before I posted on CA

Thanks
 
“The Book of Destiny” by Fr Herman Kramer is a Historical interpretation of the Apocalypse. He says in verse 5 that the voice from the throne is the voice of one of the four living beings, the Lion, the Head of the Church.
I haven’t heard of this book. Thanks
 
Actually, it hasn’t been discussed. I checked several commentaries before I posted on CA

Thanks
Ok - I checked a bunch. You are correct, interesting, most of the commentaries I have are silent on this issue, but I have many and found at a least of few addressing the question.

Bible Knowledge Commentary - describes the voice as coming from an angel.

Holman Commentary just refers to it as a “heavenly voice” though notes other verses with a voice comes from the “the throne” (implication is that its not God’s voice)

Word Pictures in the new testament - says its not the voice of God, but of an “angel of the presence”

The Pulpit commentary suggests the proper gramatical construction is that the voice came not “from the throne” but the area of the throne - suggesting the source of the voice is unclear, but likely an elder.

blessings,

Brian
 
Rev 19:5 Then a voice came from the throne:…JB

Whose voice was it? Jesus, an angel? I would think it was Jesus because he sits on the right hand of God.

Any thought?
Thanks
Maybe the verse should be read together with the next one.

5 And a voice came out from the throne, saying: Praise ye our God, all ye his servants: and you that fear him, little and great.

6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of great thunders, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord our God, the omnipotent, hath reigned.

Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 6. The voice of a great multitude. Menochius applies this voice to the multitude of Angels and saints, which from its strength may be compared to the voice of rushing waters, and because of the terror with which it strikes the wicked. Pastorini understands by this voice of many waters, the voices of many Angels that preside over the nations, denoted by waters, which had all before groaned under the tyranny of antichrist; and the voice of great thunders, that of the Angel who presides over fire, which, as employed in military engines, by its explosion resembles thunder. It must be observed that the latter author refers it to the last stage of the world.
 
Ok - I checked a bunch. You are correct, interesting, most of the commentaries I have are silent on this issue, but I have many and found at a least of few addressing the question.

Bible Knowledge Commentary - describes the voice as coming from an angel.

Holman Commentary just refers to it as a “heavenly voice” though notes other verses with a voice comes from the “the throne” (implication is that its not God’s voice)

Word Pictures in the new testament - says its not the voice of God, but of an “angel of the presence”

The Pulpit commentary suggests the proper gramatical construction is that the voice came not “from the throne” but the area of the throne - suggesting the source of the voice is unclear, but likely an elder.
This might fit in with what thistle posted.

Something to think about. But I don’t think it warrants too much thought.

Jeanne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top