Rev Franklin Graham advocates 100% commitment

• Thread starter Thread starter End_Timer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

End_Timer

“The Bible says, “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord” (Acts 3:19),” he wrote.
In his closing remarks, Graham explained that a lack of repentance bears eternal consequences for one’s soul and called for complete surrender to God.
“I want everyone to know the truth and to find the peace that comes only from fully surrendering our lives to Him and His commands. The consequence of an unrepentant, unbelieving heart is also clear in the Word of God, eternal death.” Graham stressed.
“Unless we repent and receive His offer of forgiveness, surrendering our lives to Him, we will spend eternity as part of a different family when we leave this earth—the family of the condemned,” he concluded.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
Franklin Graham is only famous because he rode his father’s coattails. Similar to Falwell Jr. He is best ignored.
This is incorrect and IMO, mean-spirited as well as unwise.

It is incorrect because Franklin Graham is definitely NOT riding his father’s coattails. Please see the link, which is just one example of Franklin Graham’s ministry.

It is mean-spirited because the Catechism tells us that Protestants are our separated brethren and have a hope of heaven.

And it is unwise because Catholics should be aware of who Evangelical Protestants are listening to and what the main Evangelical Protestant leaders are teaching.

Many Catholics who leave the Church do so because they have been listening to and talking with Evangelical Protestant friends who convince them to leave Catholicism by their words and by their good works. Many Catholics end up attending an Evangelical Protestant fellowship (church) after they leave Catholicism.

We need to know about all this, and be prepared to respond with wisdom to Catholics we know whoare attracted to those people and activities and considering leaving the Catholic Church.

I admire Franklin Graham and Samaritan’s Purse and I have donated to this organization for the last several years.

Franklin Graham is also a strong voice for pro-life practices and policies in the U.S.

Franklin Graham is also a strong voice for pro-life practices and policies in the U.S.
I totally agree with you, and that right there is why abortion is still legal.

The pro-life side can’t unite because of religious differences-we’re too busy insulting people who don’t agree with our religion. So, divide and conquer and the pro-choicers use this to their advantage. It’s SO depressing.

MasterHaster:
Franklin Graham is only famous because he rode his father’s coattails. Similar to Falwell Jr. He is best ignored.
This is incorrect and IMO, mean-spirited as well as unwise.

It is incorrect because Franklin Graham is definitely NOT riding his father’s coattails. Please see the link, which is just one example of Franklin Graham’s ministry.

Samaritan’s Purse

Franklin Graham

Franklin Graham Franklin Graham has devoted his life to meeting the needs of people around the world and proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The eldest son of Billy and Ruth Bell Graham, he serves as President and CEO of Samaritan’s Purse and the…
No problems with Franklin Graham whatsoever, only that it would be a good thing for him to discover the One True Catholic Church and come into it. What a powerful preacher and evangelist he could be for Catholic truth!

I see his television advertisements and his invitations for people to recite the sinner’s prayer with him, and have to wonder why we as Catholics can’t have an evangelist of similar bearing and presence, to invite viewers to look more closely at why they, too, should be Catholic, and why fallen-away Catholics should return.

All of the abuse scandals haven’t helped matters any. I can foresee that such an attempt by Catholics might well meet with a withering parody on Saturday Night Live. But then again Jesus was mocked as He hung on the cross as well. Then as now, would-be comedians think they’re so cute and clever.

No problems with Franklin Graham whatsoever, only that it would be a good thing for him to discover the One True Catholic Church and come into it. What a powerful preacher and evangelist he could be for Catholic truth!
Oh, yes!

You know that his father always made sure that there were Catholics among the “counselors” at his evangelistic crusades, and when a Catholic responded to Billy Grahams’ invitation to came forward, they were directed to a Catholic, who would encourage them to attend Mass and get involved with their parish.

Billy Graham, to my knowledge, never denounced Catholicism—and I’ve read all of his books. And the fact that he called his evangelical meetings “crusades” indicates that he had some knowledge of Church history and was supportive of these historic efforts by Christians (Catholics).

So it’s probable that Franklin Graham is very comfortable with Catholics and does not denigrate the Catholic Church.

And I agree–a good Catholic evangelist would be wonderful! I’ve read that St. Anthony of Padua attracted hundreds to his meetings and would preach for hours to large crowds.

Last edited:
242297_2.png
HomeschoolDad:
Oh, yes!

You know that his father always made sure that there were Catholics among the “counselors” at his evangelistic crusades, and when a Catholic responded to Billy Grahams’ invitation to came forward, they were directed to a Catholic, who would encourage them to attend Mass and get involved with their parish.
I am pleasantly surprised by that, but I have to think that this approach was not in the least bit agreeable to the Jack Chick-reading/Bob Jones University types. My perception of evangelicals is that if a Catholic approaches them, their first instinct is to “rescue us from the scarlet woman” and purge us of all our “non-biblical” beliefs — actually, almost all of them are biblical, we’re just the only Christians who know how to read and interpret them correctly. (I will concede that the Marian dogmas are a bit tricky, and unless I’m missing something, the Assumption isn’t even hinted at in the Bible. But that is quite all right, as we do not look to the Bible for the fullness of our Faith. And that’s okay.)

If that is your honest perception of Evangelicals it may be time to get informed that people who would say and think that are in a vast minority.

I like to also think that it is a Catholic minority that openly sneers at non-Catholics but CAF seems to bring that element to the forefront quite often.

If that is your honest perception of Evangelicals it may be time to get informed that people who would say and think that are in a vast minority.
It varies from church to church.

I’m thinking more half-and-half, not vast minority.

A lot of Evangelicals have learned to temper their conversation about Catholicism when they are with Catholics. They will praise all the good things about Catholicism (pro-life, belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, reverence, etc.) when they are with Catholics, but when they are among themselves, they will shake their heads and denounce the “Marian worship”, the rote prayers, the bad music, and the lukewarm faith that they think so many Catholics seem to have.

And sadly, often the friendliness towards Catholics is done to win the Catholic’s trust so that eventually, they will come to see the truth of Evangelical Protestantism.

But…many Evangelicals are truly impressed with Catholicism, mainly because of the untiring work that Catholics do for pro-life causes.

Also, the endorsement of Charles Colson (R.I.P.) really did a lot to move Evangelicals towards acceptance of Catholicism as a truly Christian faith, not a “Babylonian goddess cult”. Colson’s work with “Evangelicals and Catholics Together,” and his apologetic, Being the Body were immensely influential.

Many Evangelicals considered Colson “the Protestant Pope,” and admired his work with Prison Fellowship, but also his ability to relate faith to society. (Many Evangelicals struggle with living in a “church bubble,” where they do not know anyone who isn’t a born-again Christian, and almost all their social interactions are with fellow Evangelicals in “safe” Evangelical settings. )

48.png
Wannano:
It varies from church to church.

I’m thinking more half-and-half, not vast minority.

A lot of Evangelicals have learned to temper their conversation about Catholicism when they are with Catholics. They will praise all the good things about Catholicism (pro-life, belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, reverence, etc.) when they are with Catholics, but when they are among themselves, they will shake their heads and denounce the “Marian worship”, the rote prayers, the bad music, and the lukewarm faith that they think so many Catholics seem to have.

And sadly, often the friendliness towards Catholics is done to win the Catholic’s trust so that eventually, they will come to see the truth of Evangelical Protestantism.
Thank you for making almost exactly the same point I was going to make. I have been busy today taking care of my family, and only now do I have time to expound upon my earlier thoughts.

I could only ask, when you strip away all the “emphasize what separates us, not what divides us”, do you really think that any self-respecting evangelical ever stops and thinks “could any of these seemingly extra-biblical teachings that Catholics profess, have something to them? — could they be right and could we be wrong to reject these teachings?”. I really don’t think so. It’s been my experience, time and again, that they expect us to shed any beliefs that run counter to what they believe, and basically to become one of them. Do we ever really tell evangelicals “as for the Marian dogmas, the Real Presence, the papacy, purgatory, and so on, there’s no getting around it, we’re right and you’re wrong — it is not so much that you believe anything that is false, you just don’t believe everything that is true”? No. You know, and I know, that we don’t challenge them on these matters. We just pretty much let it go, and leave them with the impression “we believe everything that really matters, and your ‘Catholic stuff’ is just something we tolerate from you, and anytime you want to jettison all of that, nothing will make us happier”. Think of it this way — what do you think a Baptist minister would tell you, if you went to him and said “I’m a Catholic, let me ask you, do you think it’s okay for me to believe that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist — not just a symbol — and that I should pray to God through Mary, and venerate her Immaculate Conception and Assumption?”.

I can even tell you that some evangelicals, my dear aunt and the country doctor my father worked for as a young man, had an issue with the priest using wine in the Mass. I don’t know how much of an issue this would be in the rest of the United States, but in the southern highlands of this country, drinking alcohol is seen by many evangelicals as among the worst of sins, and to use it in a religious rite, well, that is considered virtually an abomination.

I can even tell you that some evangelicals, my dear aunt and the country doctor my father worked for as a young man, had an issue with the priest using wine in the Mass. I don’t know how much of an issue this would be in the rest of the United States, but in the southern highlands of this country, drinking alcohol is seen by many evangelicals as among the worst of sins, and to use it in a religious rite, well, that is considered virtually an abomination.
HomeschoolDad, I think you are correct in many of your observations.

As for the liquor–yes, that’s a problem with older Evangelical Protestants. I think that it is changing among the young–I know plenty of younger Evangelical Protestants who feel comfortable having a beer or sharing a bottle of wine with friends and family.

But for older ones like me and my husband, the liquor is still a real problem. I don’t have any issues with wine in the Holy Communion (I have never tried it and probably never will). But my husband and I find the Catholic drinking culture extremely uncomfortable, and I think a lot of Evangelical Protestants our age feel the same way. It’s an issue. To Catholics, this seems ludicrous, but it’s a very real stumbling block. We have been Catholic since 2004, and it still bothers us. I think one thing that would help immensely is if Catholics always ALWAYS remembered to have an alternative beverage (other than water would be nice, too). Soda, lemonade, flavored seltzer water–just something so that we don’t feel so awkward turning down the liquor. I would think any host would offer a non-alcoholic alternative as they never know if someone is a recovering alcoholic who is a total abstainer.

242297_2.png
HomeschoolDad:
HomeschoolDad, I think you are correct in many of your observations.

As for the liquor–yes, that’s a problem with older Evangelical Protestants. I think that it is changing among the young–I know plenty of younger Evangelical Protestants who feel comfortable having a beer or sharing a bottle of wine with friends and family.

But for older ones like me and my husband, the liquor is still a real problem. I don’t have any issues with wine in the Holy Communion (I have never tried it and probably never will). But my husband and I find the Catholic drinking culture extremely uncomfortable, and I think a lot of Evangelical Protestants our age feel the same way. It’s an issue. To Catholics, this seems ludicrous, but it’s a very real stumbling block. We have been Catholic since 2004, and it still bothers us. I think one thing that would help immensely is if Catholics always ALWAYS remembered to have an alternative beverage (other than water would be nice, too). Soda, lemonade, flavored seltzer water–just something so that we don’t feel so awkward turning down the liquor. I would think any host would offer a non-alcoholic alternative as they never know if someone is a recovering alcoholic who is a total abstainer.
Becoming used to taking alcoholic beverages without any apology or sheepishness was one of the first things that struck me about Catholic culture. I was raised in a fairly liberal household (non-churchgoing) where alcohol was concerned, but some of my relatives were absolute death on drinking, and with them, it was a subject that simply could not be discussed. My aunt (Disciples of Christ) liked to have a cold beer some evenings, but she would always have my father to buy a case for her, because respectable churchgoing ladies such as herself… well, they would not have wanted to be seen making a purchase like that.

I do take a drink now and then — I keep a modest supply of beer, a bottle of wine in the refrigerator to go with lasagna or spaghetti, and I partake of harder spirits two or three times a year — but alcohol is really not a part of my life, more for health reasons than anything else. I drink pretty much only water, diet soft drinks, juices, coffee, and a glass of buttermilk at night. That’s it.

I still stand by my opinion that only a vast minority of Evangelicals would instinctively try to “rescue you from that scarlet woman” and purge you from all those “unbiblical beliefs.”

Those are the terms I was responding to.

Last edited:
I still stand by my opinion that only a vast minority of Evangelicals would instinctively try to “rescue you from that scarlet woman” and purge you from all those “unbiblical beliefs.”

Those are the terms I was responding to.
“Scarlet woman” imagery, it’s entirely possible that this is not top-of-mind for many evangelicals, but as for getting rid of “unbiblical beliefs”, yes, I think that would be a priority for them.

Franklin Graham is, in my view, an all fire-and-brimstone preacher, as was his late father, Billy Graham, in his younger years, although neither aligned themselves with the Falwell brand of evangelism. The elder Graham, however, later in life, softened his message to the love of Jesus rather than focusing on the threat of eternal hell. As a non-Christian, I have always thought love a more appealing message than the threat of damnation. I once attended a Billy Graham crusade out of curiosity and found the elder Graham an engaging speaker. He even apologized for an antisemitic comment he had made in his youth. Franklin Graham, on the other hand, based on what I have heard, pushes anti-Muslim rhetoric, which, to me, is a turn-off, even though he is not mainly politically inclined. All in all, as an outsider to the Christian faith, I preferred the elder Graham’s style and message.

Last edited:
Yes, it is difficult to understand why the CC has and seems to treasure beliefs that are “unbiblical.” I may have misunderstood your usage of the word “purge” as it strikes me to have connotations of "exorcise " or “forcibly remove.”

Yes, it is difficult to understand why the CC has and seems to treasure beliefs that are “unbiblical.”
It is because our Faith is founded on both Scripture and Tradition, as well as reason — Luther’s “Frau Jezebel” — and the constant, unchanging, perennial teaching of the magisterium.

(Actually, I find the modern concept of “primacy of conscience” to be the Frau Jezebel of our age — anybody can believe or do anything whatsoever and invoke “my conscience”. Maybe I need to find a cathedral door and nail up some theses…)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back