Revisiting Sr. McBride vs. Olmstead hospital abortion case

• Thread starter Thread starter TheAdvocate197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheAdvocate197

In the fall of 2009, woman patient 10 weeks pregnant was diagnosed with severe pulmonary arterial hypertension. Pulmonary hypertension impairs the function of the heart and is exacerbated during pregnancy by increased hormonal activity of the placenta. In this case the medical records state that the mother had right heart failure and cardiogenic shock. The medical team caring for the woman informed her and the ethics committee of the hospital that both the mother and the child would probably die unless the infant were taken from the mother’s womb. The mother originally did not wish to lose the infant but consented to the surgery when she heard the pregnancy was life-threatening.

The ethical code for Catholic hospitals allows the early delivery of a viable infant for a proportionate reason. At 10 weeks, the infant is far from viable. The code also allows an indirect abortion, that is, when the direct effect of a procedure is the cure of a serious pathological condition, for example removal of a cancerous uterus, and the infant dies as a result of the procedure. The code does not allow a direct abortion, however, in which “the sole and immediate effect of the procedure is termination of a pregnancy before viability.” Think-ing that both mother and infant would die if nothing were done, Sister Mary Margaret McBride, speaking for the ethics committee, gave permission to the medical team to terminate the pregnancy.

Within a few months Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted of Phoenix, after learning that this procedure had been performed in the Catholic hospital, interviewed the chief executive officer of the hospital and Sister McBride, who had given permission for the surgery that terminated the pregnancy. The bishop declared that the sister had incurred an excommunication because she had cooperated in procuring a direct abortion.

For those of you who believe the hospital should not have terminated the baby’s life, would it have made more ethical for both of them to die when it could have been prevented? The pregnant woman in question was on her fifth child, hardly what you would call an anti-family person. Would some of you at least admit that this particular case gives one pause? Or is it a moral no-brainer for you?

Direct abortion is never moral, even if it would save a million people.

In this situation, the physicians have two patients. Both need the best care available, you can read scholarly articles that outline the standard of care and treatments for these conditions. Treatments range from many pharmacological options to the implantation of assist devices, some of these treatments may result in miscarriage or fetal death. Those are unintended consequences, not direct abortion.

This situation of the mother getting the abortion in a Catholic hospital is not a ‘win’.

If a mother of four was in a car accident and her child was killed, there would be an outpouring of grief and loss at the death of a child. The circumstances would be terrible, and the loss unbearable.

The act of terminating the baby’s life involved actually directly killing the baby (medical abortion); the act was not some other medical procedure which had as a side-effect the death of the baby.

What is the reason for “revisiting” this?

Are there some new developments in the case?

Did something happen in the 11 years since it occurred?

Puzzled,
Deacon Christopher

Would some of you at least admit that this particular case gives one pause? Or is it a moral no-brainer for you?
It might be a moral no brainer for people who are not in the position of making the decision as to loose the life of a child or loose the life of the child and mother and wife.

Maybe they should have done an emergency c-section, placed the baby in the nic icu, and attempted to save the life of the child. In all likelyhood the child would not have survived, but would premature c-section have been a more acceptable choice, or just a different form of abortion in the attempt to save the life of the mother?

It’s sad that another option wasn’t available to save both. A medical procedure or medication to keep both stable until a premature delivery.

I think at 10 weeks babies wouldn’t survive a c section. That’s basically first trimester.

Preemies born towards the end of the second trimester or beginning of the third have a better outcome. 10 weeks is just too small and not developed enough to survive.

In the future, maybe. But not yet.

Puzzled,
Deacon Christopher
@Diaconia Deacon Christopher, could you explain the Church’s official stance on this. It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I agree, but the goal would be to save both mother and child. Does that make a difference?

When the mother or baby is in distress emergency c sections may be done in an effort to save them both. There is no guarantee that both will be saved at any stage pregnancy, just better odds the longer it is in term.

No, I just came across the case on the internet, so the revisiting was solely mine.

Thanks for all replies so far. To me, it’s just sad that the moral thing to do in this case is really just keep the patient (mom) comfortable until they both die, given that one of them could be saved. Do nothing and they both die.

The Kill Bill analogy doesn’t entirely work here. The doctor is not threatening to kill them both if she doesn’t consent to the abortion.

Another way the analogy limps. The “somebody” in your little story could simply put the gun down and no one dies. It would be needless to shoot Billy or the other person. In this case, inaction inevitably leads to both of their deaths.

Puzzled,
Deacon Christopher
I think it is important for those who uphold the Catholic position that so-called ‘direct’ abortion is never justified under any circumstances to appreciate how extreme this position is on the range of opinion on abortion. As far as I know there are virtually no jurisdictions in which such abortions are not legal if the purpose is to save the life of the mother. I am guessing but I think the vast majority of practising Catholics support such laws in practice. Catholic politicians for example never advocate this position but concentrate on other aspects of the law.

So not, nothing has changed. But lack of change does not remove the issue - the Catholic position is rejected by the vast majority of people, and Catholics do not advocate for it in an open way. The vast majority of people think abortion necessary to save the life of the mother should be accepted.

Deacon Christopher do you initiate discussion and advocate openly for this position and a change to the law where you live to ban such abortions? If not, why not? If so, what response do you get?

I think what he’s saying is that your analogy doesn’t add up because the “someone” is doing a moral evil and could simply choose to stop doing said moral evil so no one has to die.

A disease is not a thinking, reasoning “creature” that can just stop. Therefore a person with a gun is not comparable to a disease.

@TheAdvocate197 you can correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe a better analogy is there’s a plane going down or a boat sinking and you’re in a position where you can either allow one person to die—who will inevitably die either way—to save the other, or do nothing and both die. You either do nothing and both die, or you save the one you can, even if it results in the death of the other, who would have died either way.

Last edited:
We’re talking about a case where the mother will die unless she isn’t pregnant anymore—a case where there are no other effective treatments or therapeutic means that can save both. Or at least, I think that’s what this thread is about. Maybe I missed something somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
Actually, in this case, the baby is the cause. This woman didn’t have this problem from any disease point of view…it is directly due to the pregnancy. There really isn’t much in the way of treatment for it either. Medications would have to be constantly titrated to stabilize her blood pressure and would soon fail any attempts. Her entire organ system will go into shutdown. Thank goodness, it’s rare.

I understand the Catholic position and why it is what it is. It’s just one that I do not agree with and find it incredibly cruel. I also think 99% of all people would agree with me in this case, including many/most Catholics. Well, Catholicism isn’t supposed to be easy as they say.

I also can’t imagine a God agreeing that it’s better to let both die. Mom may be considered a saint for her sacrifice but if three of her surviving children leave their faith due to anger at God for forcing this upon their family, what has been gained? The husband could leave the faith as well. Not being Catholic, I just don’t accept the catholic reasoning on this. Sorry. I realize it’s not easy for Catholics either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back