Revisiting Sr. McBride vs. Olmstead hospital abortion case

• Thread starter Thread starter TheAdvocate197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re not directly killing the infant, though. You’re removing a diseased body part, and as such treating a disease. The death of the child is not directly intended during the procedure, but would result from the procedure. That’s different from a procedure intending the death of the child because in that case, the “medical treatment” involves the murder of a patient rather than the unintended death of the patient.

You’re not directly killing the infant, though. You’re removing a diseased body part, and as such treating a disease. The death of the child is not directly intended during the procedure, but would result from the procedure. That’s different from a procedure intending the death of the child because in that case, the “medical treatment” involves the murder of a patient rather than the unintended death of the patient.
I know all that. I still don’t agree with it.

Tell all of this to the husband and existing children of a woman who must die because there was no “diseased body part” to be removed and the only way to save her was to remove the baby who would have died either way.

It would be different if the mother died and the baby could somehow still develop and be born at the appropriate time even if the mother was dead. THEN you could make the argument that you’d have to let nature take its course. But it doesn’t work that way. If mom dies, baby dies. There is no hope for the baby. Why can’t you save mom?

Let me be clear: I hate abortion. I hate it to the core. I can’t stand the whole “my body my choice” mumbo jumbo. I can’t stand people who carry on about how they personally wouldn’t have an abortion but don’t want to “impose their views on others” because everyone should be allowed to “do what’s best for them.” I don’t think abortion is okay in the case of r*pe. And, when there are medical issues, I think doctors need to work to save both mother and baby, if possible.

What I have a problem with is when the death of the baby is inevitable—it’s going to happen no matter what—it should be permissible to save the one you can.

So you would be okay killing one member of the above described pair of conjoined twins?

You’re okay killing people who did nothing wrong without their consent to save someone else’s life?

Last edited:
You’re okay killing people who did nothing wrong without their consent to save someone else’s life?
The person you’re killing in this instance will die one way or the other. You seem to be ignoring this part.

I also said that if somehow the baby could survive even if the mother died, then you’d have to let nature take its course. But the baby will die no matter what. And you’re letting the other person die as well, when that person DID have a chance of surviving.

I also said I hate abortion to the core. But you have ignored that too.
So you would be okay killing one member of the above described pair of conjoined twins?
This is a made up analogy and not what is being discussed here. Something tells me it doesn’t work that way. In the case of conjoined twins you would treat both of them with antibiotics. Either the antibiotics would work or they wouldn’t. End of story.

Last edited:
This is a made up analogy and not what is being discussed here.
Changing the conditions of a situation but keeping the essence often reveals why the difference of opinion exists.
Either the antibiotics would work or they wouldn’t.
I said they wouldn’t. The condition is untreatable using antibiotics, bacteriophages, or any other treatment options for a bacterial infection.

What is the right thing to do?
The person you’re killing in this instance will die one way or the other. You seem to be ignoring this part.
I’m not ignoring it, that’s why my change of situations included a change to the conditions of the surgery: The twin must be killed directly for the surgery to be successful.
I also said I hate abortion to the core. But you have ignored that too.
Because other kinds of abortion aren’t relevant.

I’m not ignoring it, that’s why my change of situations included a change to the conditions of the surgery: The twin must be killed directly for the surgery to be successful.
Does the twin being killed have a chance of surviving or is that twin doomed either way?

If the twin has zero, zip, zilch chance of surviving, then you save the one you can.

If the twin has a chance of surviving, you do what you can to keep both alive.

My position does not change.

If the twin has zero, zip, zilch chance of surviving, then you save the one you can.
I admire your intellectual consistency, but find your position rather abhorrent. Human lives do not have value to be traded. The ending of one non-aggressor’s life is never justified, even to save another.

Because other kinds of abortion aren’t relevant.
You’re acting like I’m a monster because I’m advocating for saving the life in the situation that has a chance at being saved rather than letting that life die when the other life can not survive either way.

This isn’t a baby who is unwanted or inconvenient, or someone who wants to kill their child just so they can live as they please. The parents of this child are likely DEVASTATED over the loss and wish it didn’t have to be so. Intent does matter. No one is out to maliciously destroy an innocent baby. They are trying to save the life of someone who has a chance of being saved while the other person doesn’t stand a chance no matter what.

You’re acting like I’m a monster because I’m advocating for saving the life in the situation that has a chance at being saved rather than letting that life die when the other life can not survive either way.
Yes, I do believe that such a position is evil. Life has infinite value and cannot be bartered and traded, as if a life for a life is an equal trade. It never is. Lives don’t have equal value, they have infinite value, and are not to be taken unless protecting yourself or others from unjust aggressors.
No one is out to maliciously destroy an innocent baby.
That is exactly what they did by aborting their child. They committed murder, full stop. One may never do evil in the service of good.
It’s not a matter of value. For the millionth time— one life is doomed either way!
By killing the child, or the twin, you say “Your life is worth theirs. Therefore, I am justified in killing you to save them.” Your action is murder. It doesn’t matter what will happen to the one you kill. In that moment, you have taken the life of an innocent human being. Took fate into your own hands.

You have committed murder.

Last edited:
By killing the child, or the twin, you say “Your life is worth theirs. Therefore, I am justified in killing you to save them.”
Nope. You’re saying that their life is not viable one way or the other and so you’re going to save the life that is viable. One person will die rather than two.

And…don’t forget, it’s perfectly a-okay to remove a cancerous uterus when you KNOW the baby will die. because it’s an “unintended side effect.” You removed the uterus KNOWING the baby would die IN ORDER TO SAVE THE MOTHER. Funny thing is, it’s actually possible for the baby to survive in that instance—as in the case of Saint Gianna Molla. She died and the baby survived, but the Church would have been okay with removing the uterus resulting in the death of the baby because it’s an “unintended side effect” even though the baby obviously has a shot at making it. In that instance, it’s completely fine, it’s not murder, just an unfortunate side effect. But removing a baby who absolutely cannot survive one way or another—that’s murder. And mom has to die too. Makes no sense to me at all. Not at all.

But removing a baby
That’s the difference. Is the diseased part a unique human person or a body part? If it’s a unique human person that needs to be directly killed somehow to solve the problem, then you are committing murder to save someone else, and that’s wrong.

If it’s a diseased body part like a fallopian tube or uterus, removing it has the consequence of the child’s death, but the intent of the treatment is to solve the issue presented by the diseased organ.

Honestly, it just seems like your issue is more deep-seated than can be addressed here; a difficulty with Catholic teaching about taking lives. That’s not something that can just be restricted to abortion because, as my own analogy demonstrated, you believe it’s okay to kill innocents to save others in all variety of situations. I can’t say much against that other than it’s just not in accordance with what the Church teaches.

Last edited:
That’s the difference. Is the diseased part a unique human person or a body part? If it’s a unique human person that needs to be directly killed somehow to solve the problem, then you are committing murder to save someone else, and that’s wrong.
Removing the tube or whatever body part results in the death of the baby. Full stop. If you didn’t remove that body part, the baby would still be alive. It’s a very, very, VERY fine line between that and direct abortion. And the baby who dies in the cancerous uterus situation is technically viable and will not die either way. The baby has a chance. And that chance was taken away by removing the uterus to save the mother.
Honestly, it just seems like your issue is more deep-seated than can be addressed here; a difficulty with Catholic teaching about taking lives. That’s not something that can just be restricted to abortion because, as my own analogy demonstrated, you believe it’s okay to kill innocents to save others in all variety of situations. I can’t say much against that other than it’s just not in accordance with what the Church teaches.
I have to say I take offense at this. First of all, I really don’t think your twin thing happens in real life. You take antibiotics for an infection or you do surgery and work to save both. Second, I do not believe in going around murdering innocent people to save others. I have stated more than once that if both persons were viable in either the pregnancy or the twin scenario, then you’d have to let nature take its course. It wouldn’t be right to kill one person to save the other. I’m saying when one person cannot be saved no matter what you do then you do what you have to do to save the one who can be saved.

Last edited:
May I remind everyone that the case at St. Joseph’s Hospital was not an ectopic pregnancy, it was a completely different case of maternal pulmonary hypertension.

Also, Bishop Olmsted’s surname has no “a” in it.

Removing the tube or whatever body part results in the death of the baby. Full stop.
The result of an action is not always equivalent to the end result of an action. The result of a fallopian tube removal is the death of a baby, but the end result was the removal of the tube. The result of an abortion (and the end result) is the killing of the child.
It’s a very, very, VERY fine line between that and direct abortion.
Yeah, a fine line that needs to be drawn.
First of all, I really don’t think your twin thing happens in real life. You take antibiotics for an infection or you do surgery and work to save both.
It may not happen in real life, but MRSA does exist and conjoined twins often cannot be separated without death of at least one. The situation is unrealistic in that regard but captures the essence of the issue with new actors to see if that changes one’s answer.
Second, I do not believe in going around murdering innocent people to save others. I have stated more than once that if both persons were viable in either the pregnancy or the twin scenario, then you’d have to let nature take its course. It wouldn’t be right to kill one person to save the other. I’m saying when one person cannot be saved no matter what you do then you do what you have to do to save the one who can be saved.
Okay, but the impending death of someone is irrelevant. You are still directly intending they die so that someone else can live. It’s murder. Period. Stop saying “Well they’re going to die anyway” because it doesn’t matter if they will at the moment you take their life without consent. At that point, they’re alive and did not give permission to have their life taken. As such, doing so is a mortally sinful action; a murder.

In fact, where’s the line? We’re all gonna die eventually. In that regard, everybody is terminal. Could you take anyone’s life under that logic?

Last edited:
The Sister was reconciled with the Church but the hospital is no longer allowed to be called Catholic.

But the Church is fine with it because you removed the organ. Sorry, call it what you want, but you KNOW the baby will die and you do it to save the mother.
Is the procedure specifically designed to kill the child; i.e. is the procedure meaningless without a child present? In the case of a fallopian removal or a hysterectomy, no. Damaged fallopian tubes from ectopic pregnancies are generally removed due to the revelation that a defect exists. Cancer-curing hysterectomies are, well, designed to cure cancer. In the situation described in the OP, there is no meaning to the performed procedure except the death of the child. The procedure is designed to kill the child, and that’s it. That is murder.
Why not demand, under the pain of mortal sin, that the uterus not be removed so the baby doesn’t die, like Saint Gianna Molla did?
St. Gianna performed a heroic act but it didn’t need to be performed. If she weren’t pregnant, the hysterectomy would’ve been done regardless because it was necessary to cure a medical issue.

I was gonna respond to the rest of your post but it looks like it disappeared?

What I have a problem with is when the death of the baby is inevitable —it’s going to happen no matter what—it should be permissible to save the one you can.
In Judaism, this is mandatory. If the child dies regardless, the mother must be saved. It also allows her to have further children even though that one can never be replaced. Perhaps, growing up Jewish, it’s why I just can’t wrap my head around this Catholic mandate? Even though Judaism also believes in life from womb to tomb, here she is clear that the mothers life takes precedence in a known fatal demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back