Revisiting Sr. McBride vs. Olmstead hospital abortion case

• Thread starter Thread starter TheAdvocate197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the child does die. And the mother lives.
It’s the manner in which this occurs that matters. That’s what you seem to be missing. Under no circumstances can an innocent person be directly killed. Period.
But none of that matters to the Church.
It most certainly does. What a blatant mischaracterization.

Last edited:
It most certainly does. What a blatant mischaracterization.
If whether a person lives or dies mattered, then you would be allowed to save the one you can save in the pulmonary hypertension scenario and have the result of one person dying rather than two. You also wouldn’t categorize it as murder, as if it’s done with malice. It’s done with sorrow and intent to preserve life—one person dies rather than two. If whether a person lives or dies mattered, you also wouldn’t be allowed to do the hysterectomy of a cancerous uterus. You’d have to let nature take its course just like you do in the pulmonary hypertension scenario. Therefore, none of this is about whether someone lives or dies. It’s about avoiding direct killing. You yourself agreed with this up thread.
It’s the manner in which this occurs that matters. That’s what you seem to be missing.
Nope, not missing it. I just don’t agree with it.

You also wouldn’t categorize it as murder, as if it’s done with malice.
Murder doesn’t need to involve malice. It’s the taking of an innocent person’s life. That’s all that needs to be there.
Therefore, none of this is about whether someone lives or dies. It’s about avoiding direct killing.
Exactly. There’s nothing that justifies the direct killing of an innocent person.
I just don’t agree with it.
So you don’t agree that taking an innocent person’s life is never justifiable?

Last edited:
Adherence to avoiding direct killing takes precedence over actually preserving life.
Uh, yes, that’s how that works. We can’t murder someone to bring about any sort of good. This is what the Church and scripture have taught since the beginning of Christianity.

Tell me, which one is a commandment? “Thou shalt preserve life” or “Thou shalt not kill”?

Last edited:
So you don’t agree that taking an innocent person’s life is never justifiable?
I think the ends matter more than the means when you’re dealing with actual human lives. I can only think of one scenario where you have to directly end the life of one person to save another, and that is this pregnancy scenario. As I’ve stated over and over, the clincher is that one will die either way. Save the one you can.

So you believe that “Thou shalt preserve life” is a commandment and “Thou shalt not kill” is not?

The mother’s culpability for the child’s death may be mitigated or even eliminated.
Another aspect of this is that Sr. McBride saw the patient again a few months later because the patient was in the hospital again because she was taking street drugs.

Before the abortion, I am sure she was told that it was permissible by the Church given the gravity of the circumstances. She probably reluctantly agreed to it only to find out later that it wasn’t, and with everything that ensued, it must have taken a severe toll on her emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually.

Uh, yes, that’s how that works. We can’t murder someone to bring about any sort of good. This is what the Church and scripture have taught since the beginning of Christianity.
For the millionth time, if the baby could somehow still survive you wouldn’t be allowed to do it. To me the ends matter when you are dealing with someone who is about to die who doesn’t have to die.

A mother and child are in a boat. It will float with one but not two. Is it morally wrong for the mother to throw her child into the water and kill him/her to save herself?
Is it morally wrong for the mother to throw herself off the boat in order that her child may live? This case is different anyway…

Is it morally wrong for the mother to throw her dead child off the boat to save herself. I realize this is an offensive way to state this but it makes the comparison a bit more analogous.

Thou shall not kill is the Commandment.
So why is preserving life of higher moral value to you than not killing?
For the millionth time, if the baby could somehow still survive you wouldn’t be allowed to do it.
Not what we’re talking about, so stop saying it. I do not care what you feel about other situations with elements unrelated to this one.
To me the ends matter when you are dealing with someone who is about to die who doesn’t have to die.
And that puts you at odds with Church and scripture. Ends do not justify means.

Is it morally wrong for the mother to throw herself off the boat in order that her child may live? This case is different anyway…
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
Is it morally wrong for the mother to throw her dead child off the boat to save herself. I realize this is an offensive way to state this but it makes the comparison a bit more analogous.
No. The child is dead. It isn’t analogous at all because the 11 week old wasn’t dead.

Last edited:
Not what we’re talking about
Yes it is. It is what makes a difference. You are mandating that the mother sacrifice herself only to have the child die as well. Two persons died rather than one. It would be different if the baby would be saved. That would be laying down your life so someone else can live, just as Jesus did. But in this instance you’re laying down your life so someone else can die anyway. I’m utterly perplexed that you don’t see this or think it’s important.
So why is preserving life of higher moral value to you than not killing?
BECAUSE THE OTHER PERSON WILL DIE EITHER WAY AND SO YOU SAVE THE ONE YOU CAN.

Last edited:
I’m utterly perplexed that you don’t see this or think it’s important.
I place higher value on commandments than sentiment.
BECAUSE THE OTHER PERSON WILL DIE EITHER WAY AND SO YOU SAVE THE ONE YOU CAN.
Cool. One is a commandment, a law of utmost importance, the other is an objective to strive towards. Not directly killing is very clearly of more importance to God than preserving as many lives as possible is.

A perfectly okay opinion to have, but one I find is flawed for a Catholic to hold. I even find it a bit odd, by my logical line, that Jews would disagree, but I digress.

You don’t need Mount Sinai, just go to a Methodist or Presbyterian hospital, pretty much any place but a Catholic hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back