Ringing of Bells During Consecration of the Host?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AuntMartha
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
jbarkley:
What’s interesting is after almost 20 years of not having the bells, I still hear them in my head at the appropriate times.
Me too! I was mentally just waiting and waiting for them. When they didn’t ring, I just remembered the sounds from long ago.

Aunt martha
 
40.png
msproule:
I am a strong advocate for the sanctus bells. To say the least, it accentuates the significance of the Consecration. As some have noted, even children (and unfortunately, some adults) who may be easily distracted during Mass stop and pay attention when the bells ring.

The largest parish in Detroit actually sounds the tower bells at the moment of Consecration, as well. If this is not evidence of the importance of that moment, I do not know what is! I bet when the surrounding Polish neighborhood was flourishing in the early 1900’s, everybody within earshot knelt down in reverence.

I do not know the significance of ringing the sanctus bells during the Epiclesis (when the priests positions his hands over the Sacred Species and asks the Holy Spirit to come upon the Gifts), but I believe the Eastern Churches believe this is the moment of transubstantiation.
The primary purpose of ringing Sanctus bells is not to “accentuate the significance of the Consecration.”

The first Sanctus bells were tower bells, and they remain tower bells at St. Peter’s Basilica. You’re getting closer to the primary reason for Sanctus bells – alerting those unable to attend Mass that something supernatural was taking place on the altar is perhaps the second most important reason to ring the Sanctus bells.

In order to understand why the bells are rung at the epiclesis, one would have to understand the primary reason for ringing the bells in the first place…
 
Anna Elizabeth:
One of the Parishes at which I attend Mass does it, as does the one parish with the Tridentine indult, of course. In a third parish, the one in which I am actually registered, the bells are not used, because, in my opinion, the parishioners are much too sophisticated for something deemed so rudimentary. After all, WE KNOW when the Consecration takes place. :rolleyes:

The problem with this (aside from overweening pride), is that there are many small children that do NOT know when it takes place. 😦 Even children being prepared for First Communion need this to call their attention to what is going on.

How do I know? I taught in that very parochial school years ago when children were far better catechized than today. I’ve been wondering for a long time just how to go about getting the bells back. It’s a shame I can’t pass them off as a form of Social Justice since anything that appears under that rubric is a “go” in that parish.

I’m glad to hear that use of the Sanctus Bells is rising.

God bless,

Anna
Print the booklet and the cover letter (after editing) from the following website and send them to your pastor. Simple.

geocities.com/sanctusbells/
 
Pariah Pirana:
The primary purpose of ringing Sanctus bells is not to “accentuate the significance of the Consecration.”
Pariah Pirana,

With all due respect, I did not say this was the primary purpose.
 
We do not have sanctus bells but use the chimes from the organ at the presentation of the body and blood at each “do this in the rememberence of me.” (Episcopalian)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top