"Risen Christ" Crucifix Yes or No?

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a “Risen Christ Crucifix?” I have never heard of one before.

Totally illogical. Previous poster was right, it’s not a “crucifix” with a risen Christ.

I’m a bit lost on this one. What is GRIM? Does it specifically say somewhere in the Cathecism that its bad to have a risen Christ before the cross? Isn’t the point the cross? The whole thing would have been pointless without the stuff that preceeded his death. The suffering didn’t start on the cross it ended there. The suffering started much sooner than that. So, does it really matter which cross we gaze on? If we are worshipping the one who took our iniquities upon Him, who died our death, then, what is the benefit to looking at a crusified Christ or a Risen Christ. Its all the same story. Praise God! Without one, the story isn’t finished. Remember his words, It is finished. (paraphrasing). So, where is the controversy? Yes, I certainly agree that doctrine is important and that we can’t pick and choose what we want to apply in a religion to our lives. Take it or don’t. But I’m lost on this point. Its all about Jesus. If I can contemplate his death more efficiently gazing on a Crucifix then I should do so. If I can worship him more fully gazing on a Risen Christ, then I should also do so. Its all about him. So, is that wrong? I’m not trying to stir up the pot, I’m kind of thinking out loud here. Please point me to scripture or sacred tradition that will help me sort this out because honestly at this point, I think both are fine. And so is a plain cross. Is it wrong to wear a plain cross? Now, I’m really concerned. I love to think on the cross. Just the cross and what it means to me. Oh, help, I think I’m really muddled now.

40.png
Sistersamm:
I’m a bit lost on this one. What is GRIM?
GIRM refers to the General Instructions for the Roman Missal. A document put out by the church to inform priests the proper methods and procedures for conducting the Mass.
Does it specifically say somewhere in the Cathecism that its bad to have a risen Christ before the cross?
A Crucifix is define as a cross with the image of the crucified Christ on it. The GIRM and other documents specify that a crucifix must be visible in the church.

From one of the documents:
  1. There is also to be a cross, with the figure of Christ crucified upon it, either on the altar or near it, where it is clearly visible to the assembled congregation. It is appropriate that such a cross, which calls to mind for the faithful the saving Passion of the Lord, remain near the altar even outside of liturgical celebrations.
Link Here

The problem is that some churches violate this regulation by having a Risen Christ cross and no crucifix in the church. If you have a Risen Christ cross and a crucifix you aren’t violating policy.

As to whether the Risen Christ cross is allowed, that is a matter of taste and interpretation of theology. Some people think it is wrong because Christ did not raise from the Cross but the tomb. Others see it as just art, like a stained glass window.

Sisteramm,

The GIRM is the General Instruction of the Roman Missal. It contains the procedures for offering Mass and other liturgical rites in the Latin rite of the Church. It specifies for each part of the Mass, the actions and order of actions as well as other elements of the Mass.

The GIRM states that during Mass a crucifix with Christ Crucified must be on the altar. For most Churches, this is the main Crucifix and it stays put (doesn’t move). For others, it is a processional crucifix that is only on the altar for Mass. The problem with this, for many, is that it seems kind of puny with a 15’ high risen Christ on a cross or other artistic rendering dominating the sanctuary.

Of course, you may use a variety of styles of crosses/crucifixes for religious art or devotional jewelry. The GIRM doesn’t deal with those, only with the Crucifix used during the Liturgy.

Hope this helps.

I was raised a Southern Baptist, spent time in the Episcopal Church, and have been a Roman Catholic since I was 26. There is an argument (an old, tired argument, in my opinion) that goes “but Jesus isn’t on the Cross any more, He’s risen from the dead, so the Cross should be depicted empty as a sign of our resurection faith!” This is a bad argument from an aesthetic point of view, as it would logically follow that we would no longer display Christ in a manger or creche (He’s not a baby any longer) or in stained glass, in any variety of poses (He’s no longer sitting on the Mount, giving the Sermon thereon, nor in the Garden in Agony). I would generally come down on the side of those favoring the Crucifix (the Cross with the Crucified Christ) over the altar rather than anything else, as the Sacrifice of Calvary is there perpetuated. That said, I quite like the image of Christ the King as art in general (the Cross with the Risen Christ dressed in the stole and chasuble and crowned with a royal crown) because it speaks of Christ as our Great High Priest and as the King of Kings. No crown, however, could be lovelier to my soul than the crown of thorns He wore for my sake. May He hold us all close within His Most Sacred Heart

I didn’t vote because I’ve never seen one of these in a parish but I did see a photo of one on a Rosary recently! I prefer our “regular” Crucifixes.

40.png
Brendan:
There isn’t any such thing. If Christ is not being Crucified on it, it isn’t a Crucifix now is it.

It’s a cross with a risen Jesus in front of it, but it certainly isn’t a crucifix.
I agree I love the crucifixes in my house they always remind me of what Christ did for me. As for the risen corpus on a cross, I know Christ is with me throughout my day. That just seems so meaningless compared to a crucifix or a beautiful picture of Christ.
No I don’t hate it but would rather see a crucifix or a beautiful picture even one with the empty tomb says more to me somehow.

All this talk about the Crucifix brought to mind these old prayers of years gone bye.**

**Meditations on Christ Crucified **

** JESUS CHRIST CRUCIFIED**

Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before Thy face I humbly kneel, and with burning soul pray and beseech Thee to fix deep into my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins, and afirm purpose of amendment; and while I contemplate with great love and tender pity Thy five wounds, pondering over them within me, and calling to mind the words which David, Thy prophet, said of Thee, my good Jesus: They have pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My bones.

HAIL SAVING VICTIM

Hail, saving Victim, offered on the gibbet of the cross for me and the whole human race! Hail, Precious Blood, flowing from the wounds of our crucified Lord Jesus Christ and washing away the sins of the whole world! Remember, O Lord, Thy creature that Thou hast redeemed by Thy Precious Blood.

ANIMA CHRISTI

Soul of Christ, sanctify me,

Body of Christ, save me.

Blood of Christ, inebriate me.

Water from the side of Christ, wash me.

Passion of Christ, strengthen me.

O good Jesus, hear me.

Within Thy wounds hide me.

Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.

From the evil enemy defend me.

In the hour of my death call me,

And bid me come unto Thee

That with all Thy saints I may praise Thee

For all eternity. Amen.

GAL 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

GAL 5:24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

ROM 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

ROM 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

I voted “hate them” not because they are merely tacky but because they are theologically and historically incorrect and are usually meant to downplay Christ’s sacrifice.

We have a Risen Christ–sans cross–in our sanctuary. I won’t deny that it’s a very beautiful image, as it wasn’t just meticulously carved but breathtakingly lifelike, but it’s not proper. The priest we had a few years ago (and a few priests ago as well) had it put up in the new sanctuary. (Our Church has two parts–the “new Church,” which is sort of hexagonal and contemporary and elegant in a simple, restrained way…and the “old Church,” which has since been stripped of its pews, but is rectangular and dark and traditional–beautiful all the same) The old Church had a Crucifix, but it would look out of place in the new sanctuary. I’ve been meaning to talk to our current priest about this (as he’s quite orthodox and would probably listen). Maybe this would make a good Boy Scout service project–raise money for a new Crucifix…

-ACEGC

I hav eno problem at all with it. Someone said above that it was incorrect because Jesus did not resurrect from the cross. I believe all Christians are aware of that fact.

I saw a stained glass window once where it had a fishing boat overlayed with the keys of Peter. I doubt that Peter ever took any keys out fishing but the two elements symbolize the man. By the same reasoning, the cross and the resurrection the best summary of our Faith. It is Sunday on which we meet, not Friday, to re-present the sacrifice (not the resurrection) of Jesus. The weaving of these two elements are well shown in the cross/risen Christ. I understand why it is popular.

Catholics who over-emphasize the crucifiction need to remember that without the resurection, we would still be without hope. That is why we meet on Sunday. Protestants who object to the corpus cross would do well to rember that without the sacrifice of Calvary, we would be without forgiveness and doomed to hell. Suffering is part of God’s will for us.

This thread was started in the Spirituality Forum, and the question does not address the place of this beautiful symbol as the focal point of the liturgy. I would have a different opinion of that.

It’s a weird image. There’s no point in having a cross behind him if he’s resurrected. It’d make sense if it was a risen christ statue with no cross. Because of the way it’s made, it seems to me that it’s meant specifically to take the place of a proper crucifix, as if having the dying christ was offensive or something.

40.png
Jayson:
It’s a weird image. There’s no point in having a cross behind him if he’s resurrected. It’d make sense if it was a risen christ statue with no cross. Because of the way it’s made, it seems to me that it’s meant specifically to take the place of a proper crucifix, as if having the dying christ was offensive or something.
I agree. This image is not historically accurate. I could be mistaken, but I do not believe Christ ever reappeared in resurrected form with the Cross as a backdrop.

Any feeling of penance and humility seems to have disappeared along with the Confiteor at most Masses. Replace that saddening image of the Crucifix with a joyous one to make us “feel better”? I do not get it.

Jesus is God. Of course He returns to life. Our salvation is the result of His death on the Cross.

I do not particularly care for the “Risen” or “Touchdown” Christ Crucifix. It weakens the meaning for the sacrafice he made for us all.

PF

Whenever I see a Crucifix, I make the connection between that image and my own sin. He is there partly because of my own sin. I am responsible as everyone else for every wound on his Blessed body. It is always humbling to see a crucifix.

I also acknowledge the hope that Christ gives to all men when I see a crucifix. I understand that by his death, we are able to live.

When I see a “Risen Christ” Crucifix I think “Go Jesus!!.” It is great to see him, and it makes me think of Jesus, but it isn’t as profound and it doesn’t encourage me to be a better person. It makes me feel good and happy, which is nice, but I would much rather just see crucifixes where crucifixes should be and statues of christ where statues of christ should be. Both have a purpose.

The Risen Christ Crucifix is just not as powerful or as meaningful to me as the real crucifix and I would much rather see the risen christ as a statue on a pedestal below a crucifix or rising in a cloud on a stained glass window above a crucifix.

at santa sophia parish in spring valley, calif. the crucifix is 30 ft high. possibly the biggest around.

in mexico, the tabernacle of the blessed sacrament is always at the foot of the crucifix. so you don’t have to go hunting around to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back