Rite of Election

• Thread starter Thread starter KathyW926
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KathyW926

Hi again,
I’m an occasional reader here with lots of questions, most of which I haven’t asked. However, now with the Rite of Election coming up next Sunday (the 10th), I’m wondering how this might be different for those of us who have been baptized previously in the Protestant faith. In some threads I have read that this Rite is not for the baptized. Can someone help me clear up this confusion?

Hi again,
I’m an occasional reader here with lots of questions, most of which I haven’t asked. However, now with the Rite of Election coming up next Sunday (the 10th), I’m wondering how this might be different for those of us who have been baptized previously in the Protestant faith. In some threads I have read that this Rite is not for the baptized. Can someone help me clear up this confusion?

the rite of election is for the unbaptized as the “graduate” from their current status as catechumens, are called to election in Christ by the Bishop, and thus will now be called the Elect.

the status of baptized persons must be respected, and there is a parallel rite, the Call to Continuing Conversion, for them which brings them closer to their full reception into the Church.

Hi again,

That is correct. Specifically the Rite of Election is only for Catechumens. The Rite of Continuing Conversion is for Candidates. They will be clearly separated.

ONLY Catechumens sign the book of the Elect.

That is correct. Specifically the Rite of Election is only for Catechumens. The Rite of Continuing Conversion is for Candidates. They will be clearly separated.

ONLY Catechumens sign the book of the Elect.
So now I’m REALLY confused. I’ve been told I will be participating in this on the 10th. Will something different be happening at the same time?

Kathy, in my diocese, both are being held on February 10th at the cathedral. We’re all in the cathedral together, but there will be a very clear distinction between who are the Catechumen and who are the Candidates, as well as a very clear distinction between the two Rites. I’m not sure if that helps your confusion or not, though. :o

Kathy, in my diocese, both are being held on February 10th at the cathedral. We’re all in the cathedral together, but there will be a very clear distinction between who are the Catechumen and who are the Candidates, as well as a very clear distinction between the two Rites. I’m not sure if that helps your confusion or not, though. :o
Yes, I guess this is one of those “Wait and see” deals. Thank you.

So now I’m REALLY confused. I’ve been told I will be participating in this on the 10th. Will something different be happening at the same time?
if both rites happen at the same place and time, one will happen first, usually the catechumens will be called up first for the rite of election, their sponsors will indicate they are ready to continue toward initiation, they will sign the book of the elect and receive their blessing. then the candidates (baptized persons) will be called up for their rite and blessing, and the working will clearly indicate the difference in status of the two groups.

It is two parts in one ceremony. The bishop first accepts the book and elects the catechumens [who become the elect]. Then he recognizes the candidates.

if both rites happen at the same place and time, one will happen first, usually the catechumens will be called up first for the rite of election, their sponsors will indicate they are ready to continue toward initiation, they will sign the book of the elect and receive their blessing. then the candidates (baptized persons) will be called up for their rite and blessing, and the working will clearly indicate the difference in status of the two groups.
In our parish that is the Rite of Sending where the parish certifies them ready at the parish mass. They then go to the cathedral for the Rite of Election/Recognition by the Bishop.

So how does the Rite of Election differ from the Rite of Sending? Is it different for different parishes?

I don’t know how it’s done in other parishes, so I can only speak for mine. In our parish, the priest “sends out” the Catechumen prior to the Homily (the Candidates are “sent out,” too, but we stay for the entire Mass) to the Cathedral for the Rite of Election and the Rite of Continuing Conversion. After Mass, we all (Catechumen, Candidates and Sponsors!) drive down to the Cathedral for the Rites. 🙂

Most likely, yes - in our Diocese they combine both Rites on the same evening. They do the Elect first, and then the Candidates.

Most likely, yes - in our Diocese they combine both Rites on the same evening. They do the Elect first, and then the Candidates.
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I really appreciate this. I have been told that Candidates will also be signing the book. Is this also different in other parishes?

Thank you all for your prompt responses. I really appreciate this. I have been told that Candidates will also be signing the book. Is this also different in other parishes?
In our parish, there were two different books; one for the Candidates, and one for the Catechumens. I don’t know what the norm or the rule is, though.

So how does the Rite of Election differ from the Rite of Sending? Is it different for different parishes?
The Rite of Sending is actually optional and may not necessarly happen at any given parish. The Rite of Election and the Rite of Welcome take place where the Bishop is. It may take place at a designated parish or in the Bishops cathedral.

In our parish, there were two different books; one for the Candidates, and one for the Catechumens. I don’t know what the norm or the rule is, though.
There is no book for Candidates, It’s a local innovation to make sure no one feels left out.

they are two different things.
if the Rite of Election is reserved to the Bishop at the cathedral (or here, largest church in the diocese) the Rite of Sending for Election is done in the parishes, and the elect are literally sent, with the blessing and support of the entire parish, to the bishop for the Rite of Election. The book may be signed in the parish, and brought to the bishop for him to acknowledge and add his signature (as is done here) or the catechumens may sign during the Rite of Election.

the candidates don’t sign anything, they don’t have to, they are already elect by virtue of their baptism

in this diocese the candidates will be called to continuing conversion by the Bishop in the rite on Wed evening the 13th, and the catechumens called for election on Thurs, the 14th. Most parishes will have the rite of sending during any Mass on the 10th. The catechumens should have signed the book in the parish, which is presented to the bishop for his signature when the catechumens are introduced by name to him. There are some parishes who do rite of election “at home” but Bishop really prefers that all the elect be brought to him.

First things first Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent. The Church changes seasons. The 40 days of Lent is a time of reflection, penance, purification which leads to the celebration of Easter. Easter is when Jesus expiated our sins, and reopened the doors of heaven to us. Catechumens (not baptized) who wish to enter the Church are asked to reflect, and purify.

The Rite of Sending is a local Parish process in which the catechumens are publicly acknowledged and signed into the Parish register. Remember the Parish is under complete control of the diocese Bishop. Often that same day these Catechumens are sent to the Bishop for acknowledgement. The Bishop will sign the book and the catechumens are in the Church, they are Elect but lacking Grace.

Often the Candidates(baptized but not having completed the sacraments ) are sent to the Bishop to acknowledge their desire to receive the sacrament of confirmation. There is no change in their status.

During the Lent season usually very close to Easter the Candidates will repent their sins and perform penance (the confession process)

During the Easter Vigil ( the sunset before Easter Sunday) the catechumens will be Baptized, and Confirmed
While the Candidates will be Confirmed.

In our diocese the visit to the Bishop for Catechumens is a different ceremony than the visit of the Candidate and typically occurs a week apart

I hope that helps

We will have the Rite of Sending at our 10:30 mass and then dismiss the catechumens for our regular meeting followed by a lunch, then we will car pool to the cathedral for the Rite of Election later that afternoon.

We don’t have any candidates this year but if we did they would go to the cathedral the following Sunday for the Call to Continuing Conversion.

During the Easter Vigil ( the sunset before Easter Sunday) the catechumens will be Baptized, and Confirmed
While the Candidates will be Confirmed.
And all will receive first Eucharist. 🙂

(there are three sacraments of initiation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back