"Rocky Mountain Oysters" --- Noahide, kosher, considered meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
241701_2.png
HomeschoolDad:
Because of the deformity?
Yes. To be considered kosher, the animal must have no blemishes or deformities. A scar from a healed wound is acceptable as long as it hasn’t deformed the animal.
Then the steer might well be thankful that he only lost “those”, instead of losing his life.

In all seriousness, I have my doubts that cattle have that much in the way of a philosophical mindset. They don’t strike me as being all that intellectually profound.

Last edited:
I like minted coins.
Don’t care for lamb myself. Kind of a strong taste. I like it OK in gyros and doners but not as an entree. (Can’t easily get doner where I live. Pfui!)

Actually I prefer goat, but I don’t get to have it all that much, the pandemic has kind of put the kibosh on the buffet at my nearby Indian place. You can do it, they’re open for business, but I don’t want to select food from a place that has had a lot of people milling about. Deo gratias, through aggressive masking and an extreme vitamin and supplement regimen, I have stayed well for almost a year now, and I want to keep it that way.

I like minted coins.
You’re in luck! It’s the time of the year where you can easily get Hanukkah gelt: chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil.

Also reminds me of a meme I saw, where Jesus is carrying the lamb in His arms, and He’s thinking, “This would go good with some mint sauce.”

I have just today begun a vegan diet, having ordered 20 packages of food from Veestro. I have never been a strict vegetarian, let alone vegan. OTOH, neither have I ever been a big meat eater, so time will tell just how long I can stay on this kind of diet. But yes, the current post is a big help! So thank you, OP.

Last edited:
The Polish bishops may have granted certain indults due to food scarcity
OK, since we are talking about what is and what is not permitted on days of abstinence, are the following permitted or not?
Beef liver
Beef tongue
Corned beef
Duck (Chinese style)
Frog’s legs
Beaver
Alligator
Crocodile
Turkey
Whale.
PS I read somewhere that it was OK to eat Corned Beef, frog’s legs, alligator and beaver on days of abstinence. I don’t know how reliable that information was.

I have just today begun a vegan diet, having ordered 20 packages of food from Veestro. I have never been a strict vegetarian, let alone vegan. OTOH, neither have I ever been a big meat eater, so time will tell just how long I can stay on this kind of diet. But yes, the current post is a big help! So thank you, OP.
Going full-monty vegan is going to be a big shock to your system. I’ve never done it. There are days when I get most of my protein from beans and eggs, but alas, the eggs aren’t vegan. I do not have the wherewithal right now, to be strictly ovo-lacto-pesco-vegetarian — family responsibilities sometimes force me to eat whatever’s at hand at the moment — but I have noticed a kind of “weird” feeling for a few days when I did. I have to have protein.
241701_2.png
HomeschoolDad:
The Polish bishops may have granted certain indults due to food scarcity
OK, since we are talking about what is and what is not permitted on days of abstinence, are the following permitted or not?
Beef liver
Beef tongue
Corned beef
Duck (Chinese style)
Frog’s legs
Beaver
Alligator
Crocodile
Turkey
Whale.
PS I read somewhere that it was OK to eat Corned Beef, frog’s legs, alligator and beaver on days of abstinence. I don’t know how reliable that information was.
I am assuming that you are going with the following:
  • Liver and tongue are organs and not flesh meat. Actually, the tongue is a muscle, not an organ per se. For the United States, I’d check current USCCB guidelines. Jone and Woywod/Smith (see above) would have said they are indeed meat, per the Pio-Benedictine 1917 CIC, back in the Dark Ages before we all got so smart (mild sarcasm alert there).
  • Corned beef has been the subject of indults due to St Patrick’s Day falling on a Friday one out of every seven years on average — that would be up to the diocesan bishop (not sure if Good Friday can ever fall that early).
  • Ducks, frogs, beavers, alligators, crocodiles, and whales could be seen as aquatic creatures, even though the duck is a fowl, and beavers and whales are mammals.
  • Turkey? I’m assuming you mean the legendary “day after Thanksgiving indult” (back when all Fridays, barring HDOs, were days of mandatory abstinence in the US). That just happened once, Pittsburgh IIRC, and only one year, and wasn’t a law of the Church at large, either in the US or worldwide.

Last edited:
Bishops have from time to time created legal fictions to allow non-fish water creatures, and those that spend much of their time in the water, to be considered “not meat” in deference to local customs, sensibilities, and circumstances. At one time there was a “muskrat indult” in Michigan. Evidently it was in deference to the relative poverty of the area granted the indult, and the fact that muskrat was a significantly consumed food there.

Not into rodents myself, though as a Southern boy and a sport shooter, I’ve always wanted to try squirrel, not sure I could dress one. Once upon a time someone gave my dear mother some squirrel to cook, we had it in the freezer, and when I reminded my mother that the squirrel is a rodent, she got grossed out and threw it away. “What else did you think it was?” — she’d just never made the connection. Chicken of the tree! Just ask Katniss Everdeen.

Last edited:
I’ve been a vegetarian since I was an undergraduate over thirty years ago - more or less vegan (less on holiday, more at home) - and went on to raise a vegetarian family.

It was all so different then - even for a vegetarian life was about every meal starting from the basics and wondering about how to make them interesting, now I walk into a supermarket and could just take a tasty meal (from quite a range of alternatives) off shelf if that’s what I wanted.

I expect that the ‘ready meal’ approach, especially earlier on, must be very helpful - missing out the stage where you’re making your usual meals while desperately trying to find substitutes for meat/dairy, rather than realising that you have to stop thinking like that altogether.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back