ROCOR Western Rite Charter

• Thread starter Thread starter PilgrimMichelangelo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly - I’d say “all”. It seems to be the normal status of an Orthodox parish (of any jurisdiction) in America that the majority of parishioners are converts (ours is over 90% convert)
Converts from where?

I would guess that in sunbelt areas that attract newer people from all over, they might pick up a mix of people from other Orthodox denominations that don’t have a local church, some former Catholics and Protestants.

But it’s harder to see that happening in cities with well established ethnic/ religious groups.

Last edited:
Converts from where?
From other churches: Mainstream Protestants, non-denominationals, some Catholics:

Off the top of my head, our parishioners are about:
  • 6 former Presbyterians (PCA)
  • 6 former Catholics
  • 4 former Pentecostals
  • 3 former Baptists
  • 3 former Methodists
  • 1 former Evangelical
    and ~5 people who come from a Christian background but I don’t know what denomination.

Last edited:
40.png
Angel_Gabriel:
Do you mean US ROCOR parishes or US Orthodox parishes of ALL jurisdictions? Both the local OCA and Antiochians still have a number of “cradles” but their parishes are pretty “American” and have a healthy number of converts as well.
Exactly - I’d say “all”. It seems to be the normal status of an Orthodox parish (of any jurisdiction) in America that the majority of parishioners are converts (ours is over 90% convert)
Would that be true of the Greek Orthodox too? (By “Greek Orthodox”, I mean Church of Greece, or Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in the US.) My impression has always been that they are thoroughly Greek in both a religious and a cultural sense. To a lesser extent I’ve seen this among Antiochian (Syrians/Lebanese) as well, though where I lived, there was a sizeable Levantine population.

Last edited:
My impression has always been that they are thoroughly Greek in both a religious and a cultural sense
That’s certainly the case in Australia. ++Stylianos, GO Archbishop of Aus, sadly passed away last year and his funeral (which was broadcast) was a very Greek affair. Most of the speeches were delivered in Greek and then translated into English.

This is the case for all the other Orthodox churches in Australia. I think they find it challenging to break out of the ethnic/cultural mold. But this isn’t exclusive to Orthodox; the Anglicans and the Lutherans also have the same challenge (too English, too German), and the latter is nearly extinct in Australia on account of it.

Would that be true of the Greek Orthodox too? (By “ Greek Orthodox”, I mean Church of Greece, or Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in the US.) My impression has always been that they are thoroughly Greek in both a religious and a cultural sense. To a lesser extent I’ve seen this among Antiochian (Syrians/Lebanese) as well, though where I lived, there was a sizeable Levantine population.
You’re right, there are definitely more “cradle-Orthodox” in Greek churches (since Greeks are the biggest Orthodox population in America) but even their churches have a healthy portion of converts:

St. Philothea (Athens, Georgia) is one of the closest Greek churches to me - their (American) priest converted to Orthodoxy in his 20s. Half their parish is ethnic Greek, the other half are American converts who speak with Southern accents.

Last edited:
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Would that be true of the Greek Orthodox too? (By “ Greek Orthodox”, I mean Church of Greece, or Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in the US.) My impression has always been that they are thoroughly Greek in both a religious and a cultural sense. To a lesser extent I’ve seen this among Antiochian (Syrians/Lebanese) as well, though where I lived, there was a sizeable Levantine population.
You’re right, there are definitely more “cradle-Orthodox” in Greek churches (since Greeks are the biggest Orthodox population in America) but even their churches have a healthy portion of converts:

St. Philothea (Athens, Georgia) is one of the closest Greek churches to me - their (American) priest converted to Orthodoxy in his 20s. Half their parish is ethnic Greek, the other half are American converts who speak with Southern accents.
I have always gotten the vibe — no one has ever come right out and said it — that Orthodox like the idea of men converting to Orthodoxy, then becoming priests, because, you know, more priests. I can fully understand why they would feel this way.

Huh. Ours are mostly Russians- first or second generation. The Antiochian parish is mostly Lebanese (mainly second or third generation)- just a handful of converts. Maybe it’s a Northeast thing?

Last edited:
But to be fair, I feel the same about the Eastern Catholics too in as much as I’d prefer going to an actual Orthodox Liturgy ; Eastern Catholicism is too much of a hybrid.
keep in mind, though, that in some cases, it is the EC church that is the historic church, with the orthodox counterparts having been raised after the church itself entered communion with Rome . . .
When I try to explain the SSPX to a fellow Orthodox Christian, I always liken them to ROCOR. They are tidily analogous in both traditions.
I’d compare them more to the old believers . . . or the SSPX to the Popovtsy, and the sedevacantiss to the Bezpopovtsy . . .

several years ago at the eparchial conference, the materials double-underlined “the Ruthenian immigration is over!”, and warning that parishes needed to get their tails in gear with evangelization or that they would fade away . . .

I’m not in the Northeast. My Antiochian parish is about half converts at this point. It’s a very large parish. We routinely have large groups of converts coming in every year now (last year was around 50 people- no lie- a lot of big families converted at the same time). We still have a sizeable grouping of founding families left. We also have a large amount of cradle Orthodox who are certainly not all Lebanese (all the Eastern European types)- who we mostly see around Pascha. We even have some Greeks that don’t want to go to the Greek parish, and quite a few Ethiopians and Indians.

Last edited:
I’d compare them more to the old believers . . . or the SSPX to the Popovtsy, and the sedevacantiss to the Bezpopovtsy . .
Yes. That analogy would work as well.

Except the SSPX is in a state of "irregular communion" with the rest of the Catholic Church while the Popovtsy were in a state of full schism with the Russian Orthodox Church, if my limited knowledge of Old Believerism is true. 🧐 (Although yes, I realize that at one time SSPX at least appeared to be fully vagante in its earlier days under LeFebre, but ROCOR was also perilously close to being vagante as well, being only in communion with the Serbian and Jerusalem Patriarchates.)

Last edited:
But this isn’t exclusive to Orthodox; the Anglicans and the Lutherans also have the same challenge (too English, too German), and the latter is nearly extinct in Australia on account of it.
And yet, there are roughly 20million Lutherans in Africa, and roughly half of all Anglicans live there. 🤔

And yet, there are roughly 20million Lutherans in Africa, and roughly half of all Anglicans live there. 🤔
My post is about both communites’ particular experience in Australia, not Africa.
That’s certainly the case in Australia … GO Archbishop of Aus … the other Orthodox churches in Australia … nearly extinct in Australia

Last edited:
40.png
JonNC:
My post is about both communites’ particular experience in Australia, not Africa.
That’s certainly the case in Australia … GO Archbishop of Aus … the other Orthodox churches in Australia … nearly extinct in Australia
But you framed the problem in terms of Anglicans too English, Lutherans too German.
Or did I misunderstand ?
My point was that didn’t seem to impact either tradition in other parts of the world.

Or did I misunderstand ?
Yes. The decline of attachment to English and German identities have been well trotted out in Australian Anglican and Lutheran literature in explaining - in part - the substantial decline of both churches in Australia.

The point was that the Orthodox Churches often bear the brunt of charges of ethnophyletism or being bound to particular cultural expressions of Christianity. Often an unfavourable comparison is made to Western Christianity which has more extensive mission. But in Australia, it seems that Western Christianity often experiences the same problem.

An example: Former Anglican Abp. Of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, said that he didn’t convert to EO in part because he didn’t want to ‘go around in funny ethnic costume’, and the profound irony is that the same thing is being said today by many Australians about the Anglican Church of Australia: nobody wants to attend a Mothering Sunday service, or the vicar’s tea party, or talk about George Herbert because all these things are evocative of a tradition that is otherwise culturally foreign to contemporary Australia.

Last edited:
40.png
JonNC:
Or did I misunderstand ?
Yes. The decline of attachment to English and German identities have been well trotted out in Australian Anglican and Lutheran literature in explaining - in part - the substantial decline of both churches in Australia.

The point was that the Orthodox Churches often bear the brunt of charges of ethnophyletism or being bound to particular cultural expressions of Christianity. Often an unfavourable comparison is made to Western Christianity which has more extensive mission. But in Australia, it seems that Western Christianity often experiences the same problem.

An example: Former Anglican Abp. Of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, said that he didn’t convert to EO in part because he didn’t want to ‘go around in funny ethnic costume’, and the profound irony is that the same thing is being said today by many Australians about the Anglican Church of Australia: nobody wants to attend a Mothering Sunday service, or the vicar’s tea party, or talk about George Herbert because all these things are evocative of a tradition that is otherwise culturally foreign to contemporary Australia.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
It still leaves me pondering why the ethnic peculiarities of Lutheranism had a greater impact in Australia than it has in Africa.

Comments from Catholics on the new Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russian Western Rite Charter:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
There are times and places when no amount of “ethnic peculiarities” will even slow down the spread of the gospel. Africa might be like that. Even my own American RC diocese, as well as local Lutherans, flourished despite ethnic peculiarities and divisions beyond belief. (Think WW1 and WW 2, etc)

There are other places where secularism is moving now like a steamroller, smashing Catholics and most Protestants across the board, regardless of ethnicity, diversity, or whatever.

Last edited:
40.png
dochawk:
I’d compare them more to the old believers . . . or the SSPX to the Popovtsy, and the sedevacantiss to the Bezpopovtsy . .
Yes. That analogy would work as well.

Except the SSPX is in a state of " irregular communion" with the rest of the Catholic Church while the Popovtsy were in a state of full schism with the Russian Orthodox Church, if my limited knowledge of Old Believerism is true. 🧐 (Although yes, I realize that at one time SSPX at least appeared to be fully vagante in its earlier days under LeFebre, but ROCOR was also perilously close to being vagante as well, being only in communion with the Serbian and Jerusalem Patriarchates.)
I think of ROCOR as the kinda-sorta “Russian Orthodox SSPX”.

except that in this case, it’s the ROC itself that goes to extremes (by the standards of Orthodoxy), and ROCOR that is the more in sync with the rest of the world.

If it were not for the ROC, Rome and Byzantium could be in communion with the rest of Eastern Orthodoxy by year’s end. But Russian nationalism is in the way . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back