Rod of Correction

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fred_Flintstone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred_Flintstone

Guest
Is there an ‘official’ catholic interpretation of the verse in Proverbs 23 about beating a child.

I’ve heard both that it means corporal punishment, and that the ‘rod of correction’ means a measuring rod, and to use a 'measure of discipline.
 
Is there an ‘official’ catholic interpretation of the verse in Proverbs 23 about beating a child.
You are referring to:[bibledrb]Proverbs 23:13-14[/bibledrb]My priest said it is necessary sometimes.
I’ve heard both that it means corporal punishment, and that the ‘rod of correction’ means a measuring rod, and to use a 'measure of discipline.
No, it clearly refers to corporeal punishment. The Latin uses virga which can mean “a rod, switch for flogging” and means nothing related to measuring, which would be regula.
 
Is there an ‘official’ catholic interpretation of the verse in Proverbs 23 about beating a child.

I’ve heard both that it means corporal punishment, and that the ‘rod of correction’ means a measuring rod, and to use a 'measure of discipline.
I think the saying is “spare the rod and spoil the child” - can we say this is happening now? - twinc
 
I think the saying is “spare the rod and spoil the child” - can we say this is happening now? - twinc
That saying is from an erotic poem about adultery. The “rod” is a reference to the male sex organ, and “spoiling the child” means preventing conception of a child via onanism.
Just google “Hudibras”.

Also, it is well to remember that Proverbs are, well,proverbial. They are NOT instructions for Christian living. (Nor even for Jewish living, for that matter. Just a collection of sayings, false & true, that were part of Jewish lore at the time).
 
That saying is from an erotic poem about adultery.
If that’s true, the poem is re-purposing an old proverb that is based on the Proverbs passage.

The notion that corporal punishment is abuse is a completely modern and western conceit. The use of a switch to reinforce discipline was common for thousands of years, and is not the same as flogging someone. And I’m told, although I don’t read Hebrew, that the word translated as “rod” implies a lightweight switch, not a stiff stick as we would use the word “rod” today.
 
I raised 2 strong willed sons and once in a while they needed a reminder with a swat of a magazine. It hurt me more than them but got their attention. Today after 30 years the 3 of us are doing ok.

I think 2,000 years ago kids got a little whooping once in a while. It is better than spoiling them.

Just my 2 cents. Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top