J
JRRTFAN
Guest
I sent this question to Ask an Aplogist on Wednesday but didn’t get a response so will ask of the general membership.
In my parish, we are studying Romans, using the excellent Catholic Scripture Study International series.
Last week we studied Romans 4. A question arose, which we could not settle, about Romans 4:7 which reads: “Blessed are those whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered;”
This is Paul’s quoting of Ps. 32:1-2, which also uses the word “covered”.
This led to a discussion as Luther used the picture of a snow covered dung hill for “covered” sins.
While we agreed that that Martin was incorrect we could not arrive at any other conclusion, the 8 English bible versions we checked, both Protestant and Catholic, use the word “covered” as does the Greek.
I thought it might be used in the sense of an American coloquialism: Leaving a restaurant - Person 1 “How much do I owe?” Person 2 “Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.” Used in this sense would be closer to the use of redeemed as in “Jesus paid the full price on the cross.”
Any (name removed by moderator)ut would be appreciated.
In my parish, we are studying Romans, using the excellent Catholic Scripture Study International series.
Last week we studied Romans 4. A question arose, which we could not settle, about Romans 4:7 which reads: “Blessed are those whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered;”
This is Paul’s quoting of Ps. 32:1-2, which also uses the word “covered”.
This led to a discussion as Luther used the picture of a snow covered dung hill for “covered” sins.
While we agreed that that Martin was incorrect we could not arrive at any other conclusion, the 8 English bible versions we checked, both Protestant and Catholic, use the word “covered” as does the Greek.
I thought it might be used in the sense of an American coloquialism: Leaving a restaurant - Person 1 “How much do I owe?” Person 2 “Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.” Used in this sense would be closer to the use of redeemed as in “Jesus paid the full price on the cross.”
Any (name removed by moderator)ut would be appreciated.