M
MGV12
Guest
Please help; I have found myself attending a non-catholic bible study on the book of Romans. While I myself have only just started to pick up reading scripture, I don’t like the idea of this bible-study,:tsktsk: i wouldn’t attend except that my fellow catholic roomate is attending and i feel it my duty not to let her stand alone as the only catholic there among various protestants etc and be corrupted, though i don’t know how much help i can be.
This monday we went through chapters 1-3 supposedly (only got through ch.1) and already I feel so sick to my stomach over their study guide. (chapters 1-3 supposedly according to them point to the abosolute destruction of “works” because “faith” alone saves. Ch. 4-5 is themed “Justification by Faith Alone,” ch. 6-8 is the “Power of the Spirit,” and according to them we have yet to get to the serious parts (though I think this is where their denominations bicker because these latter chapters point to soverign election etc.). That’s why i definately need to be pointed out to a chapter-chapter catholic based reference so that i can definately tell them were we stand. The Lord must have known I’d be in this mess because not 2 weeks prior I picked up Robert A. Sungenis’ Not By Faith Alone : The Biblical Evience for the Catholic Doctrine of Justification (which is very deep, oh and by the way they don’t seem to know or agree on what Justification is). In anycase I don’t think they know I’m Catholic, they may know my roomate is though, next monday I MUST tell them were I stand. As a good Catholic, I can’t stand idly by and not say where we stand, and let them poor over me their protestant interpretation as absolute truth.(hum…how do i tell them, though?) Thank God, I have sustanance (my faith and love of our holy church, my rosary, and so many other catholic reading I’ve undertaken in the last couple of months.)
This is what happend at the bible study.
The girl in charge voiced out the themes as understood by their youth pastor (like I explained above - ch. 1-3 “faith” alone saves) and then were divided into two groups and were told to look for such passages that contained faith and jot them down. We briefly discussed our finding, by then I had read enough to think this can’t possibly mean what we understood to be justificable salvation, but that’s how they read it (Rm 1:5,12, 17 probably verse 31, etc) are some examples of how Faith saves.
what I’ve noticed is that they themselves don’t think that faith alone saves, because questions concerning the means of “obiedience”, “justification” came up, and what it means to oberve faith came into play. I tried to say my piece that Jesus upheld the two greatest commandments, To love God and to love one another. We can’t exist 24/7 loving and adoring God from a fixed position, loving our neighbor entails action(works)how can be come to heaven( and be justified) if we do not do as He said & did. In anycase I’m really not that very good at paraphrasing catholic doctrine or scripture, so understanding a text I’ve never read before is going to be problematic.
I hope you guys can help me even if it’s just a little.
This monday we went through chapters 1-3 supposedly (only got through ch.1) and already I feel so sick to my stomach over their study guide. (chapters 1-3 supposedly according to them point to the abosolute destruction of “works” because “faith” alone saves. Ch. 4-5 is themed “Justification by Faith Alone,” ch. 6-8 is the “Power of the Spirit,” and according to them we have yet to get to the serious parts (though I think this is where their denominations bicker because these latter chapters point to soverign election etc.). That’s why i definately need to be pointed out to a chapter-chapter catholic based reference so that i can definately tell them were we stand. The Lord must have known I’d be in this mess because not 2 weeks prior I picked up Robert A. Sungenis’ Not By Faith Alone : The Biblical Evience for the Catholic Doctrine of Justification (which is very deep, oh and by the way they don’t seem to know or agree on what Justification is). In anycase I don’t think they know I’m Catholic, they may know my roomate is though, next monday I MUST tell them were I stand. As a good Catholic, I can’t stand idly by and not say where we stand, and let them poor over me their protestant interpretation as absolute truth.(hum…how do i tell them, though?) Thank God, I have sustanance (my faith and love of our holy church, my rosary, and so many other catholic reading I’ve undertaken in the last couple of months.)
This is what happend at the bible study.
The girl in charge voiced out the themes as understood by their youth pastor (like I explained above - ch. 1-3 “faith” alone saves) and then were divided into two groups and were told to look for such passages that contained faith and jot them down. We briefly discussed our finding, by then I had read enough to think this can’t possibly mean what we understood to be justificable salvation, but that’s how they read it (Rm 1:5,12, 17 probably verse 31, etc) are some examples of how Faith saves.
what I’ve noticed is that they themselves don’t think that faith alone saves, because questions concerning the means of “obiedience”, “justification” came up, and what it means to oberve faith came into play. I tried to say my piece that Jesus upheld the two greatest commandments, To love God and to love one another. We can’t exist 24/7 loving and adoring God from a fixed position, loving our neighbor entails action(works)how can be come to heaven( and be justified) if we do not do as He said & did. In anycase I’m really not that very good at paraphrasing catholic doctrine or scripture, so understanding a text I’ve never read before is going to be problematic.
I hope you guys can help me even if it’s just a little.
