Rome Pilgrimage

  • Thread starter Thread starter catholicwifeforlife1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catholicwifeforlife1

Guest
I hope this is the right place to ask this. My apologies if I’m mistaken!
My husband and I are planning a pilgrimage to Rome in thanksgiving to God. However, last time I was in Rome was years ago with a school group. My husband, on the other hand, has never been before. For seasoned Rome travelers, what is the best way to plan our trip? If we can go with a group of young couples/ 20-30-year-olds that would be best. We want to stay only in Rome though, and because of our schedules, we will only be able to stay for a little over a week. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance! God bless you all. 🙏
 
Last edited:
I’ve lived off and on in Rome. It is an easy city to get around in–great public transportation, and easy walking to the vast majority of the sites. There’s no need to join a tour, unless you have a hurried schedule. Rick Steves’ books are helpful to scope out hotels, restaurants, etc, but I usually just use Tripadvisor. I typically stay in the Prati area of Rome, just north of the old city. There are plenty of B & B’s and hotels there, and it is safe and convenient. Just do some research in guide books, and make a list of those things you most want to see. Get tickets ahead of time for things like the Scavi tour of St. Peter’s (goes to Peter’s gravesite), the Vatican Museums, the Borghese Museum. Get a map and plot a walking tour. Try to go off season as something like Easter can be wall to wall people. I like to go in February or March, or again in October or November. Summer is horribly hot. Also, maybe plan a few day trips from Rome.Orvieto is well worth it, and of course there are numerous daily trains (2 hours) to Florence or Naples.
In short, just plan like you’d plan any trip.
 
Do you speak Italian? How should Americans handle the language barrier? I know there are taxis but most of the drivers dont speak english from my recolection.
 
You don’t need all that much Italian. You need to able to read a menu, you need to know the days of the week, you need to be able to say the time of day, such as “at half past seven in the evening.” It doesn’t take long to learn a few basic things like that. Can you get RAI or any other Italian cable channels where you live? That would help you to get used to the sound of the language.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top