Rosaries in cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter RodneyJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happily, all of you have convinced me that hanging a rosary in your mirror is not all bad.

I do wonder how so many of you can pray the rosary and drive.
I can haz the rosary on CD!
(sorry- reading LoLcats while I post here)

Dana and Fr. Scallion is my fav, but Mark Millett’s Through Her Eyes is a really good scriptural rosary.
 
Please explain!

You speak of the rosary and a chaplet. “…just a chaplet…” you say.

In French the word for rosary is chaplet - so to my mind a rosary and a chaplet is one and the same thing!

Your comments seem to indicate otherwise:confused:
Maybe I’m using the wrong terms… but:

The Rosary is the Crucifix, three beads, the medallion, and then enough beads to do 5 decades.

http://www.handmaid-jewelry.com/rosaries/midnight-black-rosary.jpg

The Chaplet is just enough for one decade.

http://www.anglicanrosary.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/tiger-eye-key.jpg
 
I just read an article by a Sister who is a theologian for the Archdiocese of Miami. She’s a wonderful humnan being and an excellent theoogian. Her area of expertise is Mystical Theology.

She said something that applies to the above comment “worthy of displaying a religious article.”

She reminds people that Christ is the Divine physician who came for the sick, not the righteous. She also reminds her readers, that as we journey into the soul, we find that we are all poor. None of us is worthy.

Like St. Therese of Liseux, she reminds us that the only thing that we have to show society and God for ourselves is our own poverty, our unworthiness of his love, our unworthiness of his grace, and our unworthiness of the respect of others.

Therefore, there is not such thing as being worthy to display an article of faith, such as a rosary. Because those who believe they are worthy, can be victims of pride, which comes before the fall.

Let those who want to display it, do so. Let God deal with our poverty.

Fraternally,

JR 🙂
That is true… and perhaps I should have used the phrase “for lack of a better term” after the word “worthy” in my previous post. What I meant was, though, is if one does have a rosary or some other “identifier” (again… for lack of a better term) in or on their vehicle, it looks really bad for the whole Body of Christ if that person is screaming various obscenities and making obscene gestures. I know for me, personally, if I had a problem with using such language, I would be very hesitant to display such articles of faith, as I wouldn’t want to be a stumbling block for others.

God bless!
Ericka
 
That is true… and perhaps I should have used the phrase “for lack of a better term” after the word “worthy” in my previous post. What I meant was, though, is if one does have a rosary or some other “identifier” (again… for lack of a better term) in or on their vehicle, it looks really bad for the whole Body of Christ if that person is screaming various obscenities and making obscene gestures. I know for me, personally, if I had a problem with using such language, I would be very hesitant to display such articles of faith, as I wouldn’t want to be a stumbling block for others.

God bless!
Ericka
I agree with what you’re trying to say. Try to live up to the image that you portray. That’s not always easy, at least not for me.

If I may, I’d like to offer a piece of fraternal advice. Never worry about being a stumbling block for others. Focus on being the person that God calls you to be and you will not be a stumbling block.

When we worry about being stumbling blocks for others, we take on responsibility for their choices. That’s not good spirituality. When we assume to take responsibility for our choices, we become better examples for others. The more people look to us for good example, the better examples we become.

JR 🙂
 
Is it wrong to have a rosary hanging from your mirror? I’ve never seen this to be a problem. However, wearing them for the sake of fashion, I cannot stand.

But is it wrong to have it hanging in your vehicle?
:clapping: 👍

I am all for it Rosaries in the car, I have one hanging in our car
years and every time we get in the car I ask GOD for safety. But I am
with you here dont like them for fashion. I dont think Mary likes that
If we dont believe in Jesus or Mary.

Teresa
 
I am glad you pray the rosary. But I am afraid that most people who hang their rosary from their rear view mirror do so for show and never use it.
those that use something negatively shouldn’t keep you from using it positively should it? if gangsters started doing everything Catholic for negative reasons and we cowered from it, we would be cowards and the devil would win.

if i get shot for wearing Our Lady’s Rosary, a crucifix, a medal, a scapular or a habit, i would hope to receive my crown.
I used to think it was tacky but have changed my opinion and keep a spare rosary there. It has turned out to be quite pragmatic actually. A number of times I have accidentally left my preferred “primary weapon” at home (a beautiful Swarovski Crystal rosary my late wife carried in our wedding). So the cheaper lighter weight “secondary weapon” hanging on the mirror has been very handy. One never knows when The HS might stir one to make an impromptu stop at the adoration chapel, morning mass or the graveyard. As well, I agree with a prior poster - its great Catholic advertising. I have seen a number of people speed up next to me and do a double take to see what audacious guy would be so bold to hang a rosary from the mirror of a high performance German auto. I have gotten more than a few smiles and thumbs-up from all ages - teens to retirees. I have also seen at red-lights people in the rear mirror annoyed and shaking their heads while rolling their eyes (as one later sped around me I had to burst into laughter when I saw the Calvary Chapel parking decal - perhaps the pastor annoyed a Catholic was “off the reservation”. 😃 ).

Oh Yeah - I am all for it.

Just use a lighter weight rosary that is not fragile or something that is plastic coated etc. that will not smack the console every time you hit the breaks or turn sharply.

Ohhh, one other benefit I should mention. It makes an awesome G-force or lateral-acceleration and banking indicator when taking corners at high speed or accelerating off the line. I can almost get mine to swing to within about 25 degrees of horizontal (fore-n-aft or left-n-right) if I really lay into the accelerator or spin the steering wheel into the stops while downshifting. I know that if it gets much higher than that then I am at the limits of the vehicle’s ability to stay earth bound and then its time to say prayers or more commonly just ease up off the accelerator or brake. 😃

Fuzzy dice and cheap Mardi Gras trinkets have finally met their match… 😃

James
when Jesus reaches past 45 degrees, i know i’m cornering too hard! He has kept me in check many times. when i’m looking down, i see Our Lady of Guadalupe looking back at me. when my passenger looks up, they see a visor cross with a driving prayer on it. under my e-brake are extra Rosaries, Miraculous Medals, and a Rosary thumb ring. in the map pocket on the door are apologetics pamphlets and prayer books.

one time a homeless lady said she felt very safe and comforted sitting in my car with all the Catholic stuff around.

a lady told me she was pulled over and the officer said, “pray a Rosary for me,” and let her go. she realized she had a Rosary in one of the trays. to this day she says many Rosaries for him to keep him safe.
 
I have struggled to pray the Rosary for years. My problem is concentration. If I pray for someone I begin to think of that someone and so on and so forth…!

My husband converted 4 years ago and in October last year I decided that we should pray the Rosary and we do so every day now. I still struggle with concentration (my husband says I am ADD) but we persist.

I think I am going to get a special Rosary for my car.

Cheers
Cinette
🙂
i reached a whole new level when i started to memorize the Mysteries and their scenes from the Bible. meditating on them before/during/after each decade is key.

the next level was reached when i read Scriptural Rosary booklets and even those from private revelation. they give you extraordinary new insights and are inspiring beyond anything i have ever read. there are many available so there will be one waiting just for you.
 
I have struggled to pray the Rosary for years. My problem is concentration. If I pray for someone I begin to think of that someone and so on and so forth…!
I don’t know if I’m ADD, or just part cat, but I have a heck of a time concentrating on anything.:bounce:

It helped when I started keeping a Rosary CD in my car player. Every day, everySINGLE day, when I started my car, I would always start with that Rosary.

Now, driving, my eyes are on the road. But, my ears were listening to the music, and the re-inactment of the life and mysteries of the Lord.

My hands were on the wheel, but my thoughts were on the mysteries being unfolded.

It was really quite easy then to concentrate on the Rosary. I couldn’t turn on another program… I only had the one radio in my car 👍 I was forced to concentrate.

Now, I can do a Rosary without the aid of the CD. But I do want to find that CD again.🤷

I hope to some day do my own recording of the Prayers of the Rosary just because I’d like to try different music.

We’ll see.
 
a priest gave a talk on adoration one time, and said that instead of getting angry at distracting thoughts, try putting them in the context of God. maybe God wanted you to think about this person/thing. ponder why. maybe you can ask God to help you resolve whatever issue they are having or whatever issue you have with them. maybe if you are on a certain mystery, put them in there with you and see what happens.

if it’s a lustful thought, maybe you can focus in on how God wants you to become more pure. if a girl, on how you can learn to view her as a child of God, on how her beauty is a creation of God, on how hurtful it is on your soul to lust and how you can grow.

if a videogame, on how God created the universe just for our enjoyment. on how not to focus so much on the creation, but the Creator.

go nuts with God!
 
I was listening to Catholic radio in my car when a woman said she hangs one on her mirror because of the nasty bumper stickers and window stickers>such as the playboy bunny.
Driving down the road a few weeks later a car pulled right out in front of me and I had to brake hard and the driver then proceeded to crawl down the road. I got very upset and began to tailgate this car, and when the road went to 2 lanes I passed it; to my surprise and embarassment a woman of about 80 who was doing the best she could was driving that car. Boy did I feel bad. Soon after I hung a rosary (which I try to pray daily anyway) from my mirror. It has really helped to remind ME to be a better person as well as to show my faith. Since then I have noticed quite a few cars with them.
 
I have it hanging there. It is both a reminder to me - a really constant one - to trust Him, to talk to Him, etc. and also a witness to my faith.
 
Without saying what I do for work, (against forum rules), I keep a rosary hanging from my spotlight handle, along with my divine mercy chaplet, just below my St. Michael patron badge. Oftentimes I have people in the car with me that are in need of some spiritual direction. Sometimes they ask questions, sometimes they just get quiet. I think that the quietness is the power of the rosary going to work with me.
PS: I have never had anyone complain or raise a fuss about my “jewelry”. I am proud to be a Catholic, I need my prayers to get me through each day (or night), and hanging them in sight is a great way to witness to your faith.
 
You have encouraged me to put one on my car as well. I do carry my favorite rosary in my pocket, and at work I put it on my desk in front of my computer. It reminds me to pray for the officers and the victims.

I like seeing them on other cars. And yes we should also drive as good Christians. Sunday morning I was on the way to Mass when cut off by another driver and I did honk to let him know I was there and he almost hit me. I then noticed he was starting to drive very fast and he turned the next corner too fast and then I realized he was on his way to Mass also. He drove up, and was getting out of his car as I drove up then and pulled into the spot next to him. He had three teenagers with him. He had endangered my life, his life, and the lives of those three kids to race to Mass and get their on time. I looked him in the eye and I think my look (it was a nice look) said enough. Hopefully, he learned something.:rolleyes:
 
I have one on my rearview, for protection on the road (my car has no magnetic surfaces so my old “protect me” magnet with an icon of Mary had to be replaced!). I used to think it was a trashy fashion statement whenever I saw it on other cars, then I came round, as it helps me keep my mind on Christ when tempted to abuse a fellow road user 🙂
Oh, and it’s a form of witness too 👍
 
My first post (I hope it get it right). I have read almost all the posts on this subject and I think we could say that the practice of hanging a Rosary in our cars is not only considered proper but should be encouraged. The protection provided by a sacred object has been used for years. My wife has a Rosary she was given as a child while visiting Prince Edward Island, Canada. It was hand crafted by fisherman out of whale bone and was origninally used about 150 years ago in the fishing boats on the North Atlantic. These Roseries would be wrapped in oil-cloth and secured in the bow after being blessed by the local parish priest, all for the protection of the boat and crew. Just thought I would share. Oh I also have one hanging from the rear-view in my vehicle. Clay
 
I am SO relieved to hear so many people in favor of the rosary hanging from the mirror.
I was always afraid to put one up on my mirror - I thought it was disrespectful, but sheesh, I’m always leaving a rosary in my coat pocket, or at home, or someplace that is NOT where I am, so it sure would be helpful to have a ‘car’ rosary.
Though I like the idea of counting the bumps on the steering wheel.
 
I have one of the chaplet rosaries in my car. I usually hang it from my rear view mirror or my turning signal. I use it to remind myself to pray while I’m driving or waiting at the bank or any drive-thru window, waiting to pick up my kids, stuck in traffic, etc. It definitely has improved my prayer life as well as reduced my frustration in traffic. Both positives I would say-:crossrc:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top