Rosaries in cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter RodneyJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please explain!

You speak of the rosary and a chaplet. “…just a chaplet…” you say.

In French the word for rosary is chaplet - so to my mind a rosary and a chaplet is one and the same thing!

Your comments seem to indicate otherwise:confused:
I think the word “chaplet” has more conventionally been used to describe the smaller bead arrangements that we use for partial rosaries or special devotionals to various saints. Don’t forget that the true Dominican rosary is 15 decades for 15 Mysteries. This was “the laity’s” way of participating in the Liturgy of the Hours with the clergy who prayed daily the 150 psalms. Few laity could read and write nor were there many prayer books in the middle ages - they used simple cord with knots in the string to count the prayers.

Our popular 5 decade “small” rosary is an abbreviated form of the larger 15 decade rosary and so is a “chaplet” not a full rosary. There are hundreds of different chaplets. See this site for example:
rosaryandchaplets.com/chaplets/chaplets.html

James
 
Please explain!

You speak of the rosary and a chaplet. “…just a chaplet…” you say.

In French the word for rosary is chaplet - so to my mind a rosary and a chaplet is one and the same thing!

Your comments seem to indicate otherwise:confused:
True, but the term chaplet is usually used to refer to non-rosary strings of beads used with other prayers.

The Chaplet of St. Michael comes to mind. A medal of St. Michael, a bead, a series of three beads, and then nine more one bead - three bead series.

This chaplet honors St. Michael and the nine choirs of angels. Antonia d’Astonac began this devotion. He was said to have a vision of St. Michael, who proposed this devotion to honor him.
 
I always smile when I see someone with a Rosary on their rear-view mirror. It makes me think, “yay, a kindred spirit!”

Having said that, I don’t think it’d be a good idea for me to have one on my rear-view mirror. I can’t pray reverently and drive safely at the same time. 🙂
 
I always smile when I see someone with a Rosary on their rear-view mirror. It makes me think, “yay, a kindred spirit!”

Having said that, I don’t think it’d be a good idea for me to have one on my rear-view mirror. I can’t pray reverently and drive safely at the same time. 🙂
LOL! - I have tried to pray the rosary while driving and it doesn’t work as I find myself closing my eyes!:tsktsk: :bigyikes:
 
No, I don’t think it’s wrong. I have a Franciscan “Auto Rosary” on my rear view mirror.

It is made, specifically for the car. It is just one decade (1 Our Father; 10 Hail Mary)… and has a clasp, like a bracelet… so you can hook it and unhook it from your mirror.

It also has a San Damiano Crucifix… which I love to look at, while parked at a red light. Helps to keep me focused on Our Lord.

Check out the lovely “Auto Rosary’s” on this page. God bless.

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=Auto+Rosary
 
ohhhhh I like the Holy Spirit auto one from that website…it’s really unusual.

I had an auto Rosary for a little while and one day I put in in my pocket and now I can’t leave the home without it there. Now I have to get a new one for the car. 🙂
 
I have struggled to pray the Rosary for years. My problem is concentration. If I pray for someone I begin to think of that someone and so on and so forth…!

My husband converted 4 years ago and in October last year I decided that we should pray the Rosary and we do so every day now. I still struggle with concentration (my husband says I am ADD) but we persist.

I think I am going to get a special Rosary for my car.

Cheers
Cinette
🙂
 
You can hang a rosary where ever you want, as long as it is a dignified place. Let’s not get too scrupulous here. There are more serious things to worry about in the spiritual life.

I always have one hanging from my mirror. It’s practical. I pray it every morning on my way to work. Having it there puts it within my reach. Trying to reach in my pocket while driving is very difficult

I drive a stick and I have gotten it down to an art form (no intention to be disrespectfull). I can drive, shift and hold the rosary all at the same time.

JR 🙂
 
You can hang a rosary where ever you want, as long as it is a dignified place. Let’s not get too scrupulous here. There are more serious things to worry about in the spiritual life.

I always have one hanging from my mirror. It’s practical. I pray it every morning on my way to work. Having it there puts it within my reach. Trying to reach in my pocket while driving is very difficult

I drive a stick and I have gotten it down to an art form (no intention to be disrespectfull). I can drive, shift and hold the rosary all at the same time.

JR 🙂
As I said above, I find myself closing my eyes when I pray and that is not good when you are driving!!!
 
Reminder for all of us (especially me) to make sure that we’re worthy of displaying articles of faith.
:yup:

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. There’s lots of rude drivers around with fish or dove symbols on their cars. No need to give anyone more ammunition about “those Catholics.”

If you display it, be nice! 😃

Be nice if you don’t display it, too. 😉
 
I just read an article by a Sister who is a theologian for the Archdiocese of Miami. She’s a wonderful humnan being and an excellent theoogian. Her area of expertise is Mystical Theology.

She said something that applies to the above comment “worthy of displaying a religious article.”

She reminds people that Christ is the Divine physician who came for the sick, not the righteous. She also reminds her readers, that as we journey into the soul, we find that we are all poor. None of us is worthy.

Like St. Therese of Liseux, she reminds us that the only thing that we have to show society and God for ourselves is our own poverty, our unworthiness of his love, our unworthiness of his grace, and our unworthiness of the respect of others.

Therefore, there is not such thing as being worthy to display an article of faith, such as a rosary. Because those who believe they are worthy, can be victims of pride, which comes before the fall.

Let those who want to display it, do so. Let God deal with our poverty.

Fraternally,

JR 🙂
 
I always smile when I see someone with a Rosary on their rear-view mirror. It makes me think, “yay, a kindred spirit!”

Having said that, I don’t think it’d be a good idea for me to have one on my rear-view mirror. I can’t pray reverently and drive safely at the same time. 🙂
Happily, all of you have convinced me that hanging a rosary in your mirror is not all bad.

I do wonder how so many of you can pray the rosary and drive.
 
Happily, all of you have convinced me that hanging a rosary in your mirror is not all bad.

I do wonder how so many of you can pray the rosary and drive.
Check post 30.

JR 🙂
 
Is it wrong to have a rosary hanging from your mirror? I’ve never seen this to be a problem. However, wearing them for the sake of fashion, I cannot stand.

But is it wrong to have it hanging in your vehicle?
I personally don’t do this either. I keep my rosaries in my desk drawer or one near my bible next to my bed. I do have a small crucifix from a little chain hanging from my rear view mirror, it was designed with a short chain just for the purpose of hanging there.

My Rosaries are for praying only.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top