C
Chiltepin
Guest
First of all let me say that I AM SO EXCITED! :bounce:
I am sponsoring a student organization at the PUBLIC high school where I teach and it just got approved by the principal today! Students will come meet in my classroom after school once a week to pray the Rosary. My only sadness is that I cannot do it every day (but I sort of need to provide after school tutorials in my room, its part of the job) Later on, if I get co-sponsors of other teachers in the building it could be expanded to more than one day.
Can you believe it? A public high school. The students are so awesome, and it should be up and running next week. Their enthusiasm is absolutely inspiring. I think that besides those who are already practicing their faith, this has a strong potential to bring some twice a year Catholics back into practice. This should be a good way for them also to make friends who will share their values within the school setting, which can be very hard. I love my principal! I just bought her a present because I love her so much for approving this!
So far I have been to the religious bookstore and bought a ton of cheap rosaries, though I imagine that many students will have their own.
I plan to create powerpoint slides and use my projector to project religious artwork depicting the mysteries we are praying. I think this will be helpful to students who are newer to the prayer and might not be as good at the meditative aspect. Since I will see them the same day every week, we probably will rotate mysteries rather than go with the one assigned to that day.
I thought I might make laminated cards with the prayers of the rosary. I will just make a word document and put in bold the part that the leader reads and the response will be regular font. This should help those that do know the prayers but are unaccustomed to saying the rosary as a group.
I thought I might make these cards in English, Spanish and Latin. I thought we would mostly start in English but can do Spanish or Latin from time to time. They seem interested in the Latin and this is also very exciting to see in young people.
The club is to be student led and so the rosary will be led by students, but I did want to teach them more about it. Luckily some of the seniors are very knowledgeable and I am close enough with them that I can give them special instruction on what to tell the group.
A coworker of mine heard about it and told me, you need to read the handbook on clubs and whatever you do don’t pray with them. This broke my little heart, but I decided this is such a great thing that even if I have to sit miserably not participating, this will be such a good thing to happen! I went to talk to another teacher that leads a non-denom prayer group to ask about that rule and she said thats not a rule, she prays with the students all the time as long as it is before or after school during the club meeting time. I was so relieved!
Anyway I was wondering if you had any suggestions, advice or ideas for this club. The students have not named it yet, and I trust they would do a good job, but do you have any suggestions?
We could definitely use your prayers. At this point I have had little opposition, but things could get rough later on. I fully believe that there is a huge, loving, all-knowing, all-powerful reason that it has been smooth sailing thus far in a pursuit that you might expect to be put down.
I am sponsoring a student organization at the PUBLIC high school where I teach and it just got approved by the principal today! Students will come meet in my classroom after school once a week to pray the Rosary. My only sadness is that I cannot do it every day (but I sort of need to provide after school tutorials in my room, its part of the job) Later on, if I get co-sponsors of other teachers in the building it could be expanded to more than one day.
Can you believe it? A public high school. The students are so awesome, and it should be up and running next week. Their enthusiasm is absolutely inspiring. I think that besides those who are already practicing their faith, this has a strong potential to bring some twice a year Catholics back into practice. This should be a good way for them also to make friends who will share their values within the school setting, which can be very hard. I love my principal! I just bought her a present because I love her so much for approving this!
So far I have been to the religious bookstore and bought a ton of cheap rosaries, though I imagine that many students will have their own.
I plan to create powerpoint slides and use my projector to project religious artwork depicting the mysteries we are praying. I think this will be helpful to students who are newer to the prayer and might not be as good at the meditative aspect. Since I will see them the same day every week, we probably will rotate mysteries rather than go with the one assigned to that day.
I thought I might make laminated cards with the prayers of the rosary. I will just make a word document and put in bold the part that the leader reads and the response will be regular font. This should help those that do know the prayers but are unaccustomed to saying the rosary as a group.
I thought I might make these cards in English, Spanish and Latin. I thought we would mostly start in English but can do Spanish or Latin from time to time. They seem interested in the Latin and this is also very exciting to see in young people.
The club is to be student led and so the rosary will be led by students, but I did want to teach them more about it. Luckily some of the seniors are very knowledgeable and I am close enough with them that I can give them special instruction on what to tell the group.
A coworker of mine heard about it and told me, you need to read the handbook on clubs and whatever you do don’t pray with them. This broke my little heart, but I decided this is such a great thing that even if I have to sit miserably not participating, this will be such a good thing to happen! I went to talk to another teacher that leads a non-denom prayer group to ask about that rule and she said thats not a rule, she prays with the students all the time as long as it is before or after school during the club meeting time. I was so relieved!
Anyway I was wondering if you had any suggestions, advice or ideas for this club. The students have not named it yet, and I trust they would do a good job, but do you have any suggestions?
We could definitely use your prayers. At this point I have had little opposition, but things could get rough later on. I fully believe that there is a huge, loving, all-knowing, all-powerful reason that it has been smooth sailing thus far in a pursuit that you might expect to be put down.
