RSV-CE Bible...?

  • Thread starter Thread starter St_Aloysius
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doees anyone else have issues that the RSV is not from a strictly Catholic source? I know that probably sounds petty, but even with the RSV-CE, it’s not all from Catholic scholars…
I don’t care for the RSV-CE myself. I know I have said this repeated Luke 1:28 is a stickler verse on me. However the RSV-CE does the best job of any modern Catholic Translation. I prefer the Douay-Rheims, it is more accurate.
 
Doees anyone else have issues that the RSV is not from a strictly Catholic source? I know that probably sounds petty, but even with the RSV-CE, it’s not all from Catholic scholars…
Yes, quite often I DO have these issues! 😦

I often get put off reading my RSV when I remember that it is from the KJV family of translations. I am attracted to it, because I know it is used in the Catechism, and to be fair, has a quite conservative language style, lets just say it doesnt embarrass itself in places like other translations! It also has ‘thees’ and ‘thou’s’ in the Psalms which I like. So often I try to read it when I can’t get my head around, say, the Douay Rheims. Its all about my mood when it comes to choosing which version to read!

I choose my other translations over it a lot, because of the thought that it comes from the KJV Line of Bibles. Often I cannot focus myself on the Scripture if I’m reading the RSV CE, because of this issue.

All I can say is, I would hope that phrases have been rendered to fit a Catholic viewpoint. We all know the KJV has passages from an anti-catholic perspective, and I wouldn’t like to think that these were carried through into the RSV and then into our RSV-CE. The appendix provides a list of the changes from the original RSV, and you would hope that this covers all the more ‘contentious’ passages.

Had these changes not been made, it would be no better than the more recent NRSV-CE, which still has inclusive language, no 'Hail, Full Of Grace" at Lk 1:28, uses ‘Young Woman’ In Isaiah 7:14, and so forth.

On a side note, the NRSV cannot be called a Catholic bible simply because it has the Deuterocanonical books placed in their correct places. How this abomination was EVER given Official Church Approval is beyond me, and this is why I have my reservations about the RSVCE being officially approved too. Then again, the use of the RSV-CE in Church documents shows me it is held in far more esteem than the NRSV. Especially since those documents come from Rome. They could use any translation they liked.

But yes, when I reach for my RSV CE the thought often sticks in my mind that it is from a protestant family !

**Tobinatorstark, my RSV-CE has Hail, Full Of grace at Lk 1:28. :confused:
 
Yes, quite often I DO have these issues! 😦

I often get put off reading my RSV when I remember that it is from the KJV family of translations. I am attracted to it, because I know it is used in the Catechism, and to be fair, has a quite conservative language style, lets just say it doesnt embarrass itself in places like other translations! It also has ‘thees’ and ‘thou’s’ in the Psalms which I like. So often I try to read it when I can’t get my head around, say, the Douay Rheims. Its all about my mood when it comes to choosing which version to read!

I choose my other translations over it a lot, because of this thought sticking in my mind. Often I cannot focus myself on the scripture if I’m reading the RSV because of this issue.

All I can say is, I would hope that phrases have been rendered to fit a Catholic viewpoint. We all know the KJV has passages from an anti-catholic perspective, and I wouldn’t like to think that these were carried through into the RSV and then into our RSV-CE.

Otherwise its no better than the more recent NRSV-CE, which still has inclusive language, no 'Hail, Full Of Grace" at Lk 1:28, uses ‘Young Woman’ In Isaiah 7:14, and so forth.

But yes, when I reach for my RSV CE this thought always sticks in my mind!

**Tobinatorstark, my RSV-CE has Hail, Full Of grace at Lk 1:28. :confused:
According to the one I have viewed numerous time online. geocities.com/sacra_scriptura/eng_bible_index.html

However it does not include blessed are you among women, like the Douay–Rheims, Confraternity and Ronald Knox Translation had done. No modern Catholic Bible has it correct. “Hail full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women”. I know Luke 1:42 has blessed art thou amongst women, but it also belongs in Luke 1:28. Also none of the modern translations use the word penance ex. Leviticus 5:5 “Let him do penance for his sin”

RSV-CE Leviticus 5:5When a man is guilty in any of these, he shall confess the sin he has committed.

Also the translation of Ecclessiasticus is different in the the RSV-CE, JB and NAB than the Douay-Rheims. Verses are different
 
I’m so excited! Today, I finally got the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible, Second Catholic Edition RSV 🙂
it has; Hail, Full Of grace at Lk 1:28
 
Consider also the Oxford RSV-CE editions, available in many attractive binding options. I got the genuine leather edition, this one:

oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Bibles/TextReferenceBibles/RevisedStandardVersion/~~/dmlldz11c2EmY2k9OTc4MDE5NTI4ODY1MA==

I was able to get it from Amazon.com at a lower price.

amazon.com/Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic-Bible/dp/0195288653/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202560815&sr=1-3
I recently purchased Oxford’s large print edition (hardcover). Very easy to read.
 
My favorite site\bible mfg saintbenedictpress.com/

They have a really nice selection of not only RSV-CE, but Douay-Rheims as well. I have one of each. The RSV-CE in genuine leather, and the Rheims in the ultrasoft cover, which I actually like better than the “real” leather. Either way, very nice bibles!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top